Anesthesia Ventilator Machine questions

N

netseal

Hello elsmar forum,

in my new company we are developing a new anesthesia ventilator.
This machine is able to mix anesthesia gases, O2, N2O and Xenon together and vent it into the lung of the patient. The intended use includes an anesthetist standing near the machine all the time.
We have got a 17 inch display for command input and information output i.e. Gas concentrations, pressures, flows and the like.

The acting part of the machine consists of embedded devices and ist split into modules like: ventilation, gas mixer, alarm output, measurement devices etc.. I am responsible here for Hard/Software Development and
the conformance of development process and documentation.

The Riskmanagement Process states that there are no injuries to the patient are possible. So they started here the development of the whole
software with a classification A (IEC 62304).

My experiences in this field are small. I have developed a low risk device Class 2b/Software Class A and did the certification process earlier. Because this company had only experiences in development of medical gasmixing valves and indeed started with the development a PEMS without getting experienced developers into the company, I have
my debts about all this.
It would be very fine if the one or another could post their opinion here.

Florian Hillen

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
The Riskmanagement Process states that there are no injuries to the patient are possible.
This is totally weird, I?ve never seem an equipment that works with anesthetic gases that cannot harm the patient, besides, they are also life-supporting too. So, the first thing I would suggest is revising the risk management to verify if there?s really no problem.

With this in mind, you may change the software classification. Anyway, it?s a good practice (even defined in the amendment of IEC 62304) to first classify as class C if you are not sure of the classification, and only then going back to class A.

N

netseal

I have been a little unclear in my first post. There are risks, but those risks have been reduced by hardware protection, so the software can be classified with class A.

Marcelo

The requirement from IEC 80601-2-13 is that "Ventilation control, gas mixture control, and vapour delivery software items of pess without an independent risk control measure shall be considered as software safety Class*C.".

So you mean you have independent risk control measures that control risk for everything?

N

netseal

>So you mean you have independent risk control measures that control risk for everything?
>That means, that for Software has been done a separte Riskmanagement Process or that every Risk has been stated?

That would mean a wrong value on the Display can not produce unacceptible Risks?

Marcelo

>So you mean you have independent risk control measures that control risk for everything?
>That means, that for Software has been done a separte Riskmanagement Process or that every Risk has been stated?
Well, you do need to perform a "separate" risk management for softwares failures, if software failures were not addresses in the general risk management.

That would mean a wrong value on the Display can not produce unacceptible Risks?
No, it means that a software failure (which is part of the sequence of events leading to a hazardous situation) cannot lead to a hazardous situation that cannot lead to unacceptable risk.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GoSpeedRacer Veterinary anesthesia machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Is 510k Anesthesia group particularly picky/difficult to work with during 510k? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D Monitoring the use of anesthesia Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
4 Design help needed - Isoflurane compatibility with polymers - Anesthesia gas Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
T Validation Plan for a new Class II Medical Device (Critical Care Medical Ventilator) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
H FDA ASTMF1100 replacement? We want to market an emergency care ventilator ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B IQ/OQ/PQ of CNC Milling Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Machine directory (2006/42/EEC) is applicable or not Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
GreatNate Qualifying a CNC machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
Kuldeep Singh Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J Extent of Validation - New machine installed in manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
B Machine process sheet requirements for pill bottling operation Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
jjmusicjr Starting from scratch - a plethora of challenges for a new Lumber Mill Machine Shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
P Calculating a weight for a machine for the CE label CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Kuldeep Singh Is Compliance Testing of IEC 60601-2-63 mandatory for Europe - Dental X-Ray machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Kuldeep Singh IEC 60601-1-9 Compliance mendatory or Not - CT Scan machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - Calibration of Nikon machine in factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
M AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
J Help with Arburg Allround 320s Injection Molding Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Injection Molding Machine Validation Scope Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
G Can Measurement Machine Bias be part of Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
B ISO 9001:2015 for a Small Machine Shop need Resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5