SBS - The best value in QMS software

Annex II EU MDR gap analysis

Dear All,
I’m working on a project regarding the compliance of the current technical documentation of an MD with the requirements of the MDR (reg. 745/2017). I was thinking to compare my documentation with Annexes II and III of the MDR and I was wondering if any of you have a gap analysis checklist versus these two Annexes or any other tips useful to carried out the job.

Thank you a lot!:)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Hi ciccina,

I'd suggest that the regulation itself can serve as a pretty good checklist. Here's what I do:

1. Copy-and-paste the text from Annex II into a text-editor (can be easily copy-and-pasted from the HTML version of the MDR).
  2. Now go through line by line making notes/comments under each documenting your findings (e.g. description of compliance state/strategy and/or references to documentation showing evidence of compliance). You might want to use a different font to distinguish the comments from the original MDR text.
  3. As you go through, adopt some font convention for assessment status. For example: green=covered, yellow=partial/uncertain, red=gap, grey=not applicable, normal/black=not assessed yet.

That's it! Once done (e.g. using the convention suggested above, once none of the original text is still black), you've got your gap analysis. The problem areas can be quickly identified by looking for any red or yellow text.

Just my simple, low-budget suggestion if you're the DIY type. ...but perhaps someone still has a fancy template to share! ;)

Thank you a lot!!I have done something similar and I think will follow your suggestion about color scheme. I was thinking to add also annex III of the regulation because also this part should be integrated in the technical documentation of an MD, what do you think about?

Mark Meer

...I was thinking to add also annex III of the regulation because also this part should be integrated in the technical documentation of an MD, what do you think about?
Certainly! Whatever requirements apply, you can follow the same approach - for example, I've also done it with the safety & performance requirements in Annex I, and the QSR requirements of FDA 21 CFR 820...

Your excel/spreadsheet-based approach is certainly much cleaner, and I'd considered it myself....it's just the first step (copying-and-pasting the requirements text) is more cumbersome, as you have to copy-and-paste each requirement individually.
...but, you end up with a template you can re-use for other projects or future gap analyses, so that bit of extra work could definitely be valuable.

Whatever works for you! Best of luck. :agree1:
MM.

R

ROHOLMES

Hi ciccina,

I'd suggest that the regulation itself can serve as a pretty good checklist. Here's what I do:

1. Copy-and-paste the text from Annex II into a text-editor
Thanks Mark, Can I ask why copy and paste from Annex II ? Sorry if this sounds like a daft question.

Mark Meer

...Can I ask why copy and paste from Annex II ? Sorry if this sounds like a daft question.
Not a daft question at all, and to be honest I can't remember why I only mentioned Annex II. Really, anywhere where applicable requirements are specified - which includes many of the Annexes - should be used as source for any gap analysis checklist.
(pretty certain the focus on Annex II in this case was just because of the context of the thread discussion...)
Cheers!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S EU MDR Annex I Chapter III 23.4 z EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R MDR, Annex I, 23.1 Interpretation - IFU on the website EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Applicability of Cybersecurity EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.4(ab), 14.2(d) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Applicability of eIFU as per EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Difference between EU-MDR Annex IX and the Annex-combo X&XI EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S EU MDR Annex XIV - Clinical Evaluation Plan - What do these methods mean? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A EU MDR Annex I section 11.3 - Medical Devices labelled as having a specific microbial state EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J MDR Annex VIII, Rule 6 Classification - Implication for lower risk CV products? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A EU-MDR Annex I Requirement 10.1(d) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Applicable MDR Annex's for Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M MDR Annex IX Chapter I, 2.2 (c) - Device identification procedures during manufacture. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Example for Accessories of "Annex XVI non-medical devices" and how to classify it now with respect ot EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
L EU-MDR-Annex I - 10.4 (CMR & Endocrine-disrupting properties) - Labeling Content EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T EU-MDR-Annex I - 10.4 (CMR & Endocrine-disrupting properties) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR Annex II Design & Manufacturing info - 'Adjuvants' definition EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J IVDR and MDR ANNEX I Requirements Template EU Medical Device Regulations 5
W MDR Annex I chapter 23.2 (q) - Information required on the label EU Medical Device Regulations 17
K Section 13.6 Annex 1 MDD 93/42/EEC for Glove EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Is PMCF really a continuous activity per Annex XIV,Part B? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L EN 62368 (In an Annex - M.4.2.1) Secondary Lithium Battery Charging Safeguards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I IVD - 98/79EC - class IIa - Annex to the EC from the NB states the CM as one of the facilities? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
C IEC 60601-1-8, difference between table 4 and annex D IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Post-Market Surveillance Plan - Requirements outlined in Annex III (1.1b) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J MEDDEV 2.12/1's new MIR & IMDRF terms & codes (IMDRF Annex) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Performance evaluation (IVDD Annex VIII) & Design and Development Validation Studies EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Critical Supplier Agreement acc. to NBOG 2010-1 Annex II EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Annex II - Technical Documentation. V&V, Performance and Safety EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Annex I - General Safety and Performance Requirements. Precise identity - how provided EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Class II Medical Device Conformity Assessment Route according to Annex V only CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
F IMDRF opened a Consultation on Annex E & F and the link to ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Douglas E. Purdy ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 8 & Annex B ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
W EU GMP Annex XI - What is an "appropriate QMS"? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I Formula in the Annex of IEC 61000-4-3 - How is k=7 determined? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
H Meaning of Annex II, excluding point Clause 4 conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
N What should be included in the supply contract - Annex 2 list B IVD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Background of Annex X section 1.1d of MDD 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 74
K ISO 13485:2016 Self Certification for Class I (annex 9) Stand-Alone Software? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W IATF 16949 Annex B: CQI Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1