Annual Inspection Layout - Based on Customer print ?

Singh

Registered
Annual Layout Inspections are based on Customer print or we can add in-process print characters too?

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Singh,

As quoted from the standard:

8.6.2 Layout inspection and functional testing

A layout inspection and a functional verification to applicable customer engineering material and performance standards shall be performed for each product as specified in the control plans. Results shall be available for customer review.

NOTE 1 Layout inspection is the complete measurement of all product dimensions shown on the design record(s)
NOTE 2 The frequency of layout inspection is determined by the customer

So to answer your question all the layout inspection is asking for is a complete measurement of all dimensions on the design records. The design records could be an engineering drawing, if you're unlucky annotated CAD data or some other form of data. If you are design responsible you should have these records, if not then your customer would have them.

You can add other dimensions but this is asking more than what is required from the layout inspection. Of course, if your organization feels it would be beneficial to add these then by all means.

Singh

Registered
I have a in-process final drawings prepared by designer and he added following to the print which is not mentioned on the customer print:
1. In-process print, lets say Op10 has Inner diameter, we are making splines in next operation and later on, that become Major spline Outer Dia. Do I need to add a new character in the characteristic library for Inner diameter at OP10. If I do that then I have to include this in Annual Layout Inspection and I assume that the Layout inspection done on only characters shown on Customer print. Please advise?
2. There are form tolerances added on OP10 print i.e., circularity and concentricity on inner diameter, which is not on the customer print but as per designer that is important for the process.

So if Annual Layout Inspections are based on customer print then what happens to the additional characters added by us (supplier). I cannot ignore the additional characters as I need to create FMEA and Control plan.

Thanks

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Layout inspection is of a final product, not an in-process product. Product audit can cover in-process characteristics as defined by you.

Why do you want to cover in-process characteristics in layout inspection?

Singh

Registered
Layout inspection is of a final product, not an in-process product. Product audit can cover in-process characteristics as defined by you.

Why do you want to cover in-process characteristics in layout inspection?

Hi
Thanks for the response. I don't want to but in-process print has form tolerance called out, which is important for the process. When I am going to create the PFMEA, that needs to be addressed on the first operation. Lets say if that has been on customer print then I could have easily gave it no. For example 10.1
But its not on customer print so I have to add this as 10. Now if I don't add this in Annual layout which is as per customer print then Auditor might ask this question not having character 10 on Layout inspection.
Thanks

Daniel O.

Starting to get Involved
Hello Singh,

You might want to check your customer specific requirements regarding this topic, some customers ask the layout inspection to be according PPAP, then you must include this characteristic (if you did in the PPAP), if they don't have any requirement regarding this topic then you have to do it according design records so it wouldt be necessary in my opinion.

Singh

Registered
Hello Singh,

You might want to check your customer specific requirements regarding this topic, some customers ask the layout inspection to be according PPAP, then you must include this characteristic (if you did in the PPAP), if they don't have any requirement regarding this topic then you have to do it according design records so it wouldt be necessary in my opinion.

Ok Daniel

Thanks for your suggestion and input. I will discuss with customer.

Top Bottom