Annual PPAPs - Keeping Up with Hundreds Of Customers And Hundreds Of Part Numbers

J

jager

Hi all,
I am a layout technician in a job shop. We have hundreds of customers and hundreds of part numbers. Certain customers require us to send annual PPAP submissions, meaning, for my end of it, layouts and cap studies. Some customers require 6 pieces laid out, others require between 1 and 5. The list is growing. I counted about 1000 layouts if all the parts ran every year, thank goodness they don't, but there are still so many to keep track of. One of my problems is that our company may be running 40 jobs at one time on presses and other machinery. It is difficult to gather parts constantly, lay them out, have minor dimensions corrected, layout the parts again to make sure they are in conformance, then also keep up with other quality PPAPs from new tooling, checking parts for production setups, and helping with other quality issues.
If any of you deal with Annual PPAPs, how do you make sure you don't miss parts that are running, get your submissions out on time, etc.? Another big problem I have is finding that parts have been processed and neatly boxed up and put into inventory before I know they have even been ordered. I am not too popular when I open a box in shipping and take parts out making the box a "part box" that is no longer able to be shipped. I know a lot of obvious steps I could take if I had the authority, but I am chasing my tail daily, not just doing layouts, but finding parts to lay out. I love my job, but have had a hard time keeping up. ANY SUGGESTIONS for me? It is getting crazy! Thank you so much for any ideas.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Re: Annual PPAPs - keeping up

You seem to have an impossible job!

You need some how to get directly connected to production planning so that there is a flag every time a part is produced after a year.

I am sorry that I have no real tools to help.

J

jager

Re: Annual PPAPs - keeping up

You seem to have an impossible job!

You need some how to get directly connected to production planning so that there is a flag every time a part is produced after a year.

I am sorry that I have no real tools to help.
I do have an Excel spreadsheet with all the part numbers, due dates, pieces required and other notes. The problem is I need to work 24 hours a day! No, really, there has to be a better way. Thanks for your reply. I've been trying to get parts brought to the lab when the jobs requiring annuals are on setup. No luck so far, but will continue trying. We are on Just in Time system for a lot of jobs and I can't be holding things up.
Any more ideas from anyone else????
Thank you

J

jager

I agree that there is not enough time to do them all. We focus on the customers that yell the loudest first, then work in the automotive customers that request them, and on from there. When we do a layout and find one dimension out, we have to wait until next run to have it corrected, then do it over. There is a list for those also!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
The biggest problem is suppliers that have not recognized that this is a part of their business and put in an infrastructure (process) to accommodate it. Just because it is overhead, doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done. And...sadly...ignoring it will not make it go away.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The biggest problem is suppliers that have not recognized that this is a part of their business and put in an infrastructure (process) to accommodate it. Just because it is overhead, doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done. And...sadly...ignoring it will not make it go away.
I think a measure of blame is due to customers as well. Rarely is time allowed for real APQP to proceed, and buyers typically demand rapid turnaround on RFQs. If you do take the necessary time, you'll get left behind. Another part of the problem is customers' development of requirements that fail to account for the fact that job shops have similar requirements from nearly all of their customers. Margins are already so thin that suppliers will jump on any piece of meat that's waved in front of them, and it's always someone like the OP who's left holding the bag at the end.

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
First off, I would like to say I feel for you. Nothing worse then running in circle all the time and not getting anywhere.

Have you by any chance asked Mgmt. for help? Or even suggested to train someone just to take the daily quality issues over for a few hours so you can do the required layouts?

If I read your post correctly, I am sure you have seperated the Customers that require annual layouts from the ones that don't. Then I would meet with the Production coordinator at the beginning of the week and see what Customer parts are being ran on which day and see if any of them need to be validated. Once you see which do, label the work/shop order with a bright label stating that part needs to be validated and brought to QC. I would stand my ground on parts not going to ship until this is done. Maybe this will open someone's eyes higher up that Customer requirements need to be followed and there will be a few adjustments done to the lead time so this can be done. Or even give Production scheduling a list of parts that are due to be re-evaluated, so they can schedule them a week ahead of time to be produced, so you won't miss the ship date.
Good luck, and I hope someone can give you the right suggestion that works for you, so you don't feel like a chicken with it's head cut off.

J

jager

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if my boss will let me get with scheduling and give them a list. I'm sure it will be overwhelming for them also! If I can work that out, at least I'll know which jobs are going on. We do some layouts of parts in the raw state and some after heat treat and plating. I'll know they're in process anyway.
Thanks again. If anyone has more suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations APQP and PPAP 3
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Informational Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency Annual Report and Accounts 2018 to 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA – Medical device annual reporting – Sponsor obligations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S. Moore Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
M Informational FDA Invites You to the 2019 Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) Annual Conference Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
qualprod Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod ISO planning annual meeting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JoshuaFroud CDRH Annual Report - eSubmitter Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
V How to Add Annual Revalidation requirements to Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
K Is an annual "audit schedule" the same thing as an audit scope/ audit plan? Internal Auditing 8
S What questions to ask in annual supplier evaluation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
W "On An Annual Basis" - Definition ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
D FDA Guidance Document for Preparing Annual Product Reviews US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q FDA - Annual Report Submission Format and QMS updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
F ISO/TS 16949 internal audit scope and annual plan Internal Auditing 2
B Annual Internal Inspector Certification Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
S Is an Annual Supplier Evaluation an ISO 9001 requirement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Annual Layouts in Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
T Clause 7.4.1.2 - Evidence of annual assessments for all non-TS Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
K Bi-Annual ISO 9001 Surveillance Audit Help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
R QMS changes before Annual External Audit Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
M Do QC inspectors need an annual eye exam according to API Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 22
J FDA Annual Product Review (APR) Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Annual Reporting requirements to Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Requirements for Annual Revalidations APQP and PPAP 1
Y Training Plan/Schedule - Can anybody share a format or template for annual training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
SATHYABALARAMAN ISO Systems Annual Report to Top Management example wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
V Annual Performance Appraisal - Person vs. Function/Business Career and Occupation Discussions 5
S Annual Stock Check - Where to add it into our Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
5 Missed Annual Business Goals and Objectives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B TS16949 Annual PPAP Submission Requirements for Ford and Chrysler Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K AS9100 Implementation, Registration and Annual Costs to maintain Registration? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Does Australia require any annual registration or license renewal for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Annual License or Registration Requirement for Europe (MDD 93/42 EEC) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A SOP for performing Annual Product Reviews for Medical Device and Pharma Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D How to Update Annual Quality Objectives Annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I Does TS 16949 clearly require an annual product re-validation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
H Annual Training Requirements (ISO 13485) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Mikilk ETO Sterilization - Annual Report of all Sterilization Validations to send the NB EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Annual Internal Audit Plan to Audit Everything? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11