Good evening all
In our requirement to our supplier it states
- The following materials shall be avoided:
- 1. Anodyze
- 2. Fiberglass material
- 3. Paint (white)
(others listed also...)

Then at the end fo the paragraph
- Note: The reason is that they have a known association with ESD risks.
I have traced this back and it is in our customers requirement. This is for a space project with a German customer.
I initially thought it was anodise spelt the American way, but I am not so sure.
My colleague thinks it could be a coating.
The customer also has no idea.
Google only provides a link to a band!

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Paul

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I work in electronics, and we put ESD sensitive parts for aviation into anodized aluminum cases, brackets, etc. all the time. We have several space customers, and they don't ask us to keep anodized aluminum away from their parts. I am not sure if we use any anodized aluminum parts on space assemblies.

One of our space customers is a weird mix of paranoid and too lax about preventing defects on their products. We found they don't understand electronics manufacturing in many ways, and overreact to some minor things and don't care about other things that could have a significant effect. You could have a similar customer.

If there is a problem, I would like to know because we may need to change our procedures.

There are several methods and types for anodizing. Maybe some types are acceptable and some types are a problem. We build to print and subcontract making the metal parts, so we don't get involved with the pro and cons of various methods.

I found this 2006 article that indicates both that there can be problems and there are ways to overcome the problems. Electrically Conductive Anodized Aluminum Surfaces

As to the paint, why only white? I would expect all colors of a paint type to have the same problems.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I work in electronics, and we put ESD sensitive parts for aviation into anodized aluminum cases, brackets, etc. all the time. We have several space customers, and they don't ask us to keep anodized aluminum away from their parts. I am not sure if we use any anodized aluminum parts on space assemblies.

One of our space customers is a weird mix of paranoid and too lax about preventing defects on their products. We found they don't understand electronics manufacturing in many ways, and overreact to some minor things and don't care about other things that could have a significant effect. You could have a similar customer.

If there is a problem, I would like to know because we may need to change our procedures.

There are several methods and types for anodizing. Maybe some types are acceptable and some types are a problem. We build to print and subcontract making the metal parts, so we don't get involved with the pro and cons of various methods.

I found this 2006 article that indicates both that there can be problems and there are ways to overcome the problems. Electrically Conductive Anodized Aluminum Surfaces

As to the paint, why only white? I would expect all colors of a paint type to have the same problems.
The only reason I could think for the white paint perhaps is its absorption or reflection of light levels? But how that links to static discharge I don't know?

sonflowerinwales

In the country
Hi folks, thanks for your replies.
I had this statement from the customer today (after many weeks...)

It seems that our ESD experts see a potential risk of (dis)charging when using anodized metals on the outside of space crafts. For this reason anodized surface on the outside of space crafts shall be avoided.
When a supplier is using anodized metals on the outside of space craft please ask them to raise an RfD.

This clears up the "What is Anodyze" question.
The equipments I am PA for are internal to the spacecraft, so there are no problems with my suppliers.
All I need to do now is get the above statement recorded formally somewhere. This may be more difficult!
Part of the root cause maybe a Brit trying to understand a German document written in English using an American word spelt incorrectly!
Thank you everyone
Paul

Top Bottom