SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

ANOVA and Test Method Validation for a Drug Delivery Device

S

stevoc

I've been tasked with validating a test method and would welcome any comments on the approach I've taken.

We've developed a drug delivery device that delivers a small dose of a gel lie substance from a manual pump. The dose specification is the weight of drug supplied by a full operation of the pump.

A manual dosing test has been developed and I now need to demonstrate that this method is valid.

I've had some testing done - 3X operators have taken 12X consecutive doses from each of 5 devices. I've been analysing the data using ANOVA.

I've compared the data sets for each operator with each other (at device level - so all the device 1 and also teh combined) and have calculated F values well below those from the tables.

Does that mean I conclude that there is no significant difference in the means?

thanks

Steve

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

RONQUILLO

Hello Steve,

Maybe I need more information about the test, however the F values calculated are well below compare with F critical (from tables) means that no significant difference that you said in others words with any operator the results are similar, the variations is for common variation not special; so you can use someone of them without affect the test.

S

stevoc

Maybe I should make it clearer what I'm trying to achieve. The device we're testing delivers a fixed volume of drug with each manual operation. The drug containers holds enough drug for multiple operations.

12 consecutive doses have been delivered from each of 5X devices

A1, A2, A3 ....A12
B1, B2, B3 .....B12

etc

These tests have been repeated by 3X operators.

When I use ANOVA to analyse the means from each operator (60 doses per operator), I get a F value of 1.254. When I look up the value for Fcrit from the distribution tables F(0.5,df2,df177) = 2.9957, so I conclude that there is no significant difference between the means and that my test method is valid?

I'd appreciate any comments on that approach

many thanks

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RONQUILLO

Steve,

Remember the Anova always use the initial hipotesis that:

Operator 1 = Operator 2 = Operator 3

I mean all the doses per operator not have variations by special causes, the variation are by comun causes that every operator can have, if F calculated was bigger that F critical (from tables), so you have the next case:

Operator 1 <=> (Different) Operator 2 <=> Operator 3 or at least two operators have significant differences; in this case you need to check the method; but you have the first case so your method is valid.

Kind Regards

Jaime Cort

S

stevoc

OK, I think I might need some help now. After getting positive results in preliminary testing, we've conducted the test in an official capacity and failed!

The test was modified slightly, 5 devices were operated 24 times by each of 3 operators. The results for each device were then compared between operators using ANOVA at a 95% confidence level - and for 4 of 5 devices it was shown that at least one of the means was different.

I can't see where to go here -there doesn't appear to be a lesser criteria that can be used? Even if we try to disprove the null hypothesis at a 99% confidence level, we still have a significant difference.

thanks

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A R chart from ANOVA gage R&R test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
N ANOVA vs 2 sample t-test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
F Post Hoc test for two way ANOVA Using Minitab Software 9
optomist1 Two Way ANOVA Test For Equal Variances Using Minitab Software 10
M Calculating P-value for one way Anova test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P t-test or ANOVA to compare variance of several samples series Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B ANOVA 3 level and 4 factors f and p values are not showing Using Minitab Software 0
OpExPro R Squared Values in One-Way ANOVA Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Minitab 19 Anova or X bar # of distinct catagories Using Minitab Software 2
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Input to ANOVA 1-WAY - How can I perform this analysis in minitab? Using Minitab Software 2
J Which Anova dropdown to use for R&R in Minitab? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B WEDM Taguchi and Anova Analysis - L16 array with 5 parameters at 4 levels Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
F How to make an ANOVA of a design with repeats (not replicates) in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 18
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
H Taguchi mixed model DoE [L16 (4^3 2^6): factors interaction and ANOVA calculation Using Minitab Software 3
S Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 13
B How to perform a MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) A&R/ANOVA Vs GUM/VDA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E GR&R ANOVA 3rd Factor for Fixture Nests Using Minitab Software 3
F Help me understand the ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 8
M ANOVA for S/N ratio gives different results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T Minitab Two-way Anova example (EXH_AOV.MTB) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
S ANOVA/Regression - Analyzing a Dataset which contains over 4500 Points Using Minitab Software 3
P Taguchi Anova Error with Minitab Using Minitab Software 9
J Why doesn't ANOVA Method take the specification into account when determining GR&R % Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
F Fully nested ANOVA: A missing p-values (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 11
S Regression Analysis / ANOVA using Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
C GR&R MSA-4 ANOVA Excel Template Verification Check wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R P-value and interpretation of ANOVA Gage R & R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
L What is the the difference between the Gage R&R Nested Anova and ISO/REMCO N263? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L How is the interaction physically happening while performing ANOVA GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Using ANOVA during the PQ Validation Run to evaluate Statistical Differences Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Understanding of Regression and ANOVA in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Minitab Error - * ERROR * Unbalanced Design - Unbalanced Anova Using Minitab Software 9
V Sample Range for a valid GRR using ANOVA in Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Anova Gage R&R Calculations for 4 Operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
R New to MSA - I was told to use ANOVA for the GRR's Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G GR&R (Gage R&R) Anova versus Xbar Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Strange PT Ratio on an Excel spreadsheet for variable GRR ANOVA Method Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
J Variation (using ANOVA method) Required for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Minitab ANOVA Error Message - *ERROR* No data in column. Using Minitab Software 3
I Choosing the alpha level in an ANOVA Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
I Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
V Identifying Significant Factors - Regression Analysis vs Correlation vs ANOVA vs DOE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Rameshwar25 GRR (Gage R&R) Nested Anova Method Example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 40
L Good Excel .xls sheet for Gage R&R that calculates both Anova and Range Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
optomist1 Generic question regarding Two Way ANOVA Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8