ANSI/NCSL Z540.3-2006 vs ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994.

T

TIMMYS - 2010

I have completed a review of the latest specification. It has some considerable change in format from the 1994 version. My basic question is this. Does this standard supercede the 1994 standard or is it a supplement to the 1994 standard to be utilized for 17025 accreditation? I would like to know before my customer(s) begin asking about compliance to the 2006 version.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
For the moment it appears that both your questions are unclear.....I have heard trough the grapevine that Z540-1 will go away at some point, though not sure when.....

Hershal

T

TIMMYS - 2010

Thanks.

I guess that what I wanted to know is whether or not the 2006 revision is now in force and is the 1994 version now obsolete and being superceded by 2006. i.e. Mil-Std 45662A superceded Mil-Std 45662.

You basically answered the question. I can assume that 1994 is OK to keep in force for now. I will try to get more info from NCSL on the subject and I will post any new info that I can obtain.

Regards,
Timmys

K

Karl_pmel_ssbb_cqe

Hi,

Z540-1 1994 (R2002) will not be reissued or reaffirmed.
Z540-3 2006 fills the need for a current national calibration system standard.

I expect cal labs that are also accredited to Z540-1, will have the Z540 component of their checklists changed over the next couple years.

Z540-3 and Z540-1 can apply to organizations that don't have an internal lab but use measuring and test equipment.

Just because a standard expires doesn't mean it cannot be invoked, or contracts referencing it cannot continue for years.

V

vtburdet

Hershal,

Where is the best source, that you recommend to purchase the lastest Z540.3 - 2006?
VTBurdet

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
You could write here--

National Conference of Standards Laboratories (NCSL)
2995 Wilderness Place, Suite 107,
Boulder, Colorado 80301-5404

You could also call and talk to someone and perhaps place the order by phone w/CC. It's not inexpensive. They also have a Handbook for the Application of . . . . also, not inexpensive.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Thanks.

I guess that what I wanted to know is whether or not the 2006 revision is now in force and is the 1994 version now obsolete and being superceded by 2006. i.e. Mil-Std 45662A superceded Mil-Std 45662.

You basically answered the question. I can assume that 1994 is OK to keep in force for now. I will try to get more info from NCSL on the subject and I will post any new info that I can obtain.

Regards,
Timmys

Technically, Z540-1 was retired in 2006 when Z540.3 came out. Having stated that, most labs and even most accreditations tend to refer to Z540-1. I still on occasion see MIL-STD-45662A.

It takes a long time to change.

DietCokeofEvil

I posted this under another discussion- but I think it fits in here as well.

This is the response we received from our AB regarding the Z540-3.

"There is some misunderstanding in the industry regarding this standard. The Z540.3 is NOT simply a newer revision of the Z540.1, it is a whole different set of requirements. Specifically relating to a 17025 accredited calibration lab, there is only paragraph 5.3 of the Z540.3. The rest of the standard applies to the customer (end user) of the data we would provide. Most customers are unaware that the Z540.3 actually requires them to perform additional work / analysis of the requirements provided this standard. Note that paragraph 5.3 states ?Calibration-servicing components may be considered competent to provide calibration services when they have been accredited to meet ANSI/ISO/IEC 17025?, which of course is what we are accredited to."

This was from about 4 years ago- I don't know if this has changed at all.

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
As it relates to 17025, in the dot3 there are ~17 additional requirements if one were to obtain accreditation.
ISO 17025 is a bench level document. It largely pertains to the here-and-now calibration, as well as the quality/records management system.

The dot3 is an organizational document that goes beyond the immediate calibration. Risk analysis (<2% PFA), end of period reliability, scientific analysis to set the recall interval, and more are addressed in the dot3 but not very well in 17025. It does also address end-users.

A 17025 calibration with data is acceptable, however, additional work is required. For instance, a dot3 lab outsources work to a 17025 lab. On return, the calibration must include found/left measurements so the lab can perform the risk and reliability calculations to make the calibration dot3 compliant.

For anyone wanting to have dot3 digested for them, I strongly recommend they bite the bullet and get the Handbook for the Application of . . . Z540.3.
It was written mostly by the same committee that wrote the standard. It is non-binding interpretive guidance that helps explain the rationale for the elements in the standard.
Doesn't make it any more agreeable, but . . . . :D

Top Bottom