A new message, "FMEA," was posted on the Cayman Systems ISO / QS 9000 Forum
by Shailesh Patel on Tuesday,
7 July 1998, at 9:57 a.m.

The message reads as follows:

-------------------------

Is it mandatory to use and comply to AIAG's FMEA manual? Can I use other
FMEA manual like Ford's FMEA handbook for PFMEA and DFMEA and comply to
it? I am looking for other's experience in this regard since during our
QS9K audit one of the auditor insisted on refering to AIAG's manual only.

-------------------------

Hi,
I think that you can find the answer to your question by looking up the following Handbooks :

1) "Quality System Requirements" QS-9000
On page 1 : Introduction/Approch, the sentence :
"...The word, 'shall' indicates mandatory requirements.
The word, 'should' indicates a preferred approch ..."

2) "Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis FMEA" (Reference
Manual).
On the FOREWORD chapter you can read :
"...Accordingly, this manual and format, which is approved and endorset
by
Chrysler, Ford and General Motors, SHOULD be used by suppliers
implementing
FMEA techniques into their design/manufacturing processes..."

3) "Advanced Product Quality Planning and Control Plan APQP"
About both design FMEA Checklist on page 64 and for process FMEA on
page 78
the question 1 asks if you have had performed the analysis according to
QS-9000's
requirements or not.
So I think it is possible to follow the second chance ... do you agree?

By the way. When I wrote the procedures for performing the FMEA in my
factory, I suggested
to use QS-9000 requirements. But according to the wishes of the Customer
we can follow
other forms too. In any case it is mandatory to agree with FMEA's
checklists.

Best regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There is no requirement to use the AIAG 'manual. It is a Refence manual. It is supposedly not auditable.

I know many companies that use forms other than those in the AIAG manual. The requirement is a content requirement.

R

Ram narayan

Hi,

It is not mandatory to use the AIAG FMEA manual for the implementation of FMEA. In fact, the Ford FMEA Handbook gives better guidelines and helps in better understanding of the FMEA's.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
qualprod ISO 9001 - 9.3.2 c) 7 is answer for 8.4.1? Performance of external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
B What is your pat answer when a co-worker asks about ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Do I need to answer Audit Observations? General Auditing Discussions 33
S "Answer books" for ISO/TS 16949 Implementation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Major NADCAP Magnetic Inspection Nonconformance - How to answer it? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J What will happen if you can't answer questions of recruiters? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
E Should I refuse to answer personal questions during the interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 59
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It Depends,? Part 2 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It depends,? Part 1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Q How to answer these standard HR Employment Interview Questions Career and Occupation Discussions 8
P If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 44
B Overall Process Capability - Simple question if you know how to answer it! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Management refuses to answer Corrective Action request Nonconformance and Corrective Action 43
Anerol C Need to answer a Car due the CAR answering process and implentation is not workin Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q Is my Cpk calculator answer valid? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Y Functional Testing The only Answer to Quality After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
H How do I answer an audit finding I don?t agree with? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
T Employee Reviews not completed - Audit Finding - Difficult Finding to Answer Internal Auditing 31
L VDA Product Submission Form - Please help a Cove newbie answer a VDA question VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 12
H Countermeasure Answer on Decision Making - Need help Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
B Is Minitab technical support answer 2255 wrong? Using Minitab Software 5
Jim Wynne Microsoft's answer to the iPhone? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 9
Marc Visualizing "Answer People" In Online Discussions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
D How to answer customer?s TQM test paper? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
L Corrective action following a wrong answer of the auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Jim Wynne Jobseekers: Don't take "no" for an answer Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
D Can several trainees share one answer sheet? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J Implement TS16949 Quality System - How to answer Question at Interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
A Example of an Ad Not to Answer Career and Occupation Discussions 22
A Where can I get information to answer queries realted to OHSAS 18001? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
L Audit Nonconformance - Not following Control Plan - How to answer Request for CA? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R In a perfect world, who does the Quality Organization answer to? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
H Statistics Guru? What method is appropriate to calculate the answer Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
G Our employees are overwhelmed by ISO 9000 requirements - Is Training the Answer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D No response to CAR's - Supplier refuses to answer a corrective action Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
N I need your opinion about budget answer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Tom W What Do You Think about 'Quality' - One Word Answer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
R When can you stop root cause analysis - Is the answer never? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
P To Control or Not to Control - Answer Keys to Tests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
L Need a help in finding a research paper - Patel, J. K. (1986) Tolerance interval Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2