Antiviral Mask or Mask to Mitigate or Control Corona Virus

KerryBrown

Registered
I did and it is confusing, nCov is about 0.125 microns.The mask N95 could handle 0.3 micron. The earloop does not handle less than 100 micron. I am looking for other mask which antiviral claim. I am not sure what the health workers in CHina is using.
Agreed. I discussed this with my family doctor and he said the same and we need to have proper equiment and mask to handle with this virus. My doctor friends have been infected due to the lack of N95 while treating the corona patients.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
A little late to the party, but since the pandemic is still on, I expect there is still some interest in this topic:

Webinar Series - Respirators for Health Care Personnel Use: COVID-19

Hopefully this webinar series will provide information based on what FDA has learned about N95s over the past three months, and will therefore provide a welcome update on the sketchy best guesses that everyone was having to make earlier.

Bill Levinson

Industrial Statistician and Trainer
A little late to the party, but since the pandemic is still on, I expect there is still some interest in this topic:

Webinar Series - Respirators for Health Care Personnel Use: COVID-19

Hopefully this webinar series will provide information based on what FDA has learned about N95s over the past three months, and will therefore provide a welcome update on the sketchy best guesses that everyone was having to make earlier.

It looks like it is on decontaminating respirators but it looks useful. I will share it on LinkedIn.

Here is something for surgical face masks (not respirators) that improves the seal around your nose and mouth. I think Grainger sells disposable plastic items that do the same thing. Also, if you want to protect others if wearing a respirator with an exhaust valve, an earloop mask can be draped in front of it; I tried this. The white part is the respirator, the blue part is a face mask. (Does not constitute engineering or OH&S advice.) This is for personal use; if respirators are required in the workplace, face masks are not adequate.

Attachments

• Face_Mask_Tightener.jpg
    Face_Mask_Tightener.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Exhaust.JPG
    Exhaust.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 93

Bill Levinson

Mine is a Honeywell Series 7700 half-mask. It is very comfortable and makes a good seal, and they sell P100 filters for it. You have to put something over the exhaust valve (not part of the instruction manual, by the way) to protect others.

Randy

Super Moderator
What is the best respirator mask to handle the corona virus spread? 'Best' means in terms of price and structure.

The "Best" price is based on Supply, Demand and what you can bear/sustain. "Best" is a variable and transient term and most likely the response you get will be based more on conjecture or guess than fact resulting in 5,023.5 different answers. Short term and controllable costs could possibly be just as easily resolved just by looking at Amazon or eBay as opposed to bids, proposals and quotes.

Bill Levinson

I do not believe cost should be the foremost consideration for PPE (even when PPE is not required by OSHA--if it is, you don't get a real choice as to what you use; respirators are then mandatory). We are talking about something intended to protect people from a deadly disease that can not only harm individuals, it can shut down your factory. This happened in LA.

I am sure I could have gotten a couple of cheap cloth masks for $20 or less but I paid about $200 for a half-mask respirator and half a dozen sets of replacement filters (P100) plus nominally disposable earloop masks to cover the respirator's exhaust valve. My health care plan's member responsibility (deductible) is $3500 and I am not even sure the plan would cover everything beyond that. Plus the disease can kill me or mess me up for life. Easy choice.

One reference contended that even a cheap face mask is worth over $3000 in terms of its ability to prevent health care expenditures. The average hospital cost is about $30K if the case requires hospitalization.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
What is the best respirator mask to handle the corona virus spread? 'Best' means in terms of price and structure.
Howdy Menaw91409,

If you note, this was the original question on this thread...the 3 pages following the OP are the discussions for that question...

Top Bottom