Any IA success stories? Internal audits that have resulted in great improvements?

When we discuss internal audits we usually only talk about the problems connected with them... I would like to hear success stories: Tales about audits that have resulted in great improvements, something to buck up and inspire fellow auditors.

Anyone?

/Claes

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Randy Stewart

I think most of you know my feelings on audits. They tend to be either a necessary evil or a true improvement tool. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
During our initial startup of ISO 14001 at the new building I was going through some of the HazMat paperwork. We bought a building that was an old printing company, the building had been vacant for over 3 years and no one was familiar with any of their operations (chemicals, disposal, etc.). I had some questions on what was being disposed of and how our "new" people were handling the HazMat. To make a long story short I ended up going through the MSDS Sheets to determine what was coming in and going out and that's where the problems began.
First no one was reviewing them to see what exactly we were putting in the building. The one that raised the big red flag was a chemical used in the new air conditioning system in the chillers to prevent a build up of bacteria. In order to handle this stuff you needed equipment just short of a hazmat suit. It was real nasty. Upon review of the chillers I found that the drains went straight to the regular storm drains, nothing stood between them and the rain run offs!
I brought up the issue on a Monday, by Wednesday the chemical was completely removed from the building and system, we had a new company to take care of our air conditioning system and the facility manager had a great respect for our environmental system.
I'm sure that eventually the problem would have been found, but to find it during the internal audit gave evidence of the system. We were able to make changes to our system at all 3 facilities and to protect our employees, community and environment from a potential hazzard.

N

noboxwine

Traditions are made to be broken

Hey Claes ! Thanks for soliciting some positive energy in this bizzre world we live in. I offer the following:

My only success stories (and huge successes by the way) are an upshot from non-traditional Auditing approaches.

1. Not employing people called auditors, rather determining whether our Quality Management System conforms to planned arrangements, is effectively implemented, maintained and improved upon, via integrating these requirements into our Management Review program. “Auditing” is Management’s Responsibility. Other people in the company need to focus on day-to-day operations.

2. When pseudo-traditional auditing techniques may be used, only visual style Process Instructions (pictures, flow charts, etc) are used. Time-honored, protracted, multi-level bullets, utilizing oblique vernacular and wooly semantics add 0 value to any organization, period.

It works, it conforms, it adds values, it's simple. Auditors hate it !

:agree:

Thank's boxman, we all need a little bit of positive energy once in a while (although I do wonder what Energy himself has to add ;)...)

Just one question... Why would the auditors hate it when it works, conforms, adds values and is simple? :confused: Because it conforms to the std without following the tradition? :vfunny: I agree: If breaking the tradition brings improvement, then sod the tradition.

/Claes

R

Randy Stewart

Polar Bear Club and you're in the quality field. Just seems natural, for some reason, for those two things to go together.

noboxwine,
I have to say I love your approach. It almost sounds like the one we are using now. We have seen much more involvement, improvement and changes implemented this way. A wonderful approach that focuses on the process and not necessarily the procedures! Great.

N

noboxwine

Originally posted by Randy Stewart
Polar Bear Club and you're in the quality field. Just seems natural, for some reason, for those two things to go together.

If you are crazy enough to be in the QA field, jumping into a 30 deg lake is a peice of cake ! (Makes the martini taste even better, too).

Claes: Yes, most auditors hate it because it is non-traditional. It has been my experience (especially in automotive) that most auditors (95%) seem to audit to their opinion of your business practices, not the minimum requirements of the standard. Unfortunately, most companies feel intimidated enough to believe they will have their registration revoked if they stand firm (and I in my former life once did as well). There is a lot more golf for me to play and will not waste time doing busy work to satisfy an unethical auditor.

It does appear, however, the tide is changing. Since registration bodies are a simple commodity in a flattening market, they are quickly understanding that if they are inflexible in their "ethics", then they will not get the purchase order. Have a day ! :bigwave:

Audits that work

A trucking company was forced to “do” 4.20 by their registrar. They had no idea of what to track, so they tracked sales. An internal audit closing meeting was interrupted by someone stating that one of the drivers just received another ticket. The president asked how many times that driver has received tickets. The internal auditor stated that perhaps tickets would something worthwhile to track. The prez agreed. The company started tracking tickets, by category and began to share this info with the drivers during their regular safety meetings. As a result, over the next year tickets dropped off. A secondary impact was that accidents also dropped off. Could there be a correlation? I don’t know, but I do know that as a result of an internal audit, the organization chose a metric that was meaningful and used it to drive change.

Correlation or not... An improvement was achieved :D

Ok, who's next? I know that we have loads of auditors in the ranks here. Let's hear your success stories...

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GStough 5S Implementation Success Stories - Anyone Care to Share? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 18
M Stakeholder Analysis - Practical success stories wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C GainSharing / ImproSharing Success Stories? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
arios The application of the 8D analysis - Seeking success stories to share Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Seeking an Update on GE's Use of Six Sigma and Success Stories Six Sigma 1
B Seeking: Life success stories of how the APQP process and tools helped your company APQP and PPAP 2
F Bayes Success run Theorem for sample size during OQ&PQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
V When and How to apply the Bayes Success Run approach for Sample Size Determination Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A ISO 9001 Registration Audit Success! Covegratulations 2
Q Success or failures using Quality inspection services in China Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
C What is the Success Rate in CE Mark Certification for Medical Devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
C What is the success rate for FDA Medical Device Approval ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
AnaMariaVR2 Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success [book] The Reading Room 1
AnaMariaVR2 [White Paper] Writing & Enforcing Your SOPs for GxP Compliance Success Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
A Change Control Review Management Success or Effectiveness Metric Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
V Which Matters Most - Working for Success or Satisfaction? Career and Occupation Discussions 26
Sidney Vianna An ISO Paper: In search of "Sustained Success" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Colin Top Management Changing his Perspective - A Success Story ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S ISO 9001: 2008 Certification Success - Thanks Covegratulations 9
G Success Run testing - Confidence Levels Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
C Reliability Calculation without Failure (Success Run) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
G ISO 9001:2008 Registration in Universities - Success, Endorsements and Trends? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Critical success factors for efficient use of statistical techniques Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 14
R ISO/DIS 9004 Managing for the sustained success of an organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
tsmith7858 Pistachio Recall a Success? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
V ISO 9001:2008 - How does an organization demonstrate "sustain success"? General Auditing Discussions 14
D IPL - Success Story Imported Legacy Blogs 0
D Quantitative Measurement of the Level of Success in Training Programs Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Z Is anyone going to the "Measure Up for Success" Conference In Edmonton? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
Marc Toyota's success pleases proponents of 'lean' Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
S Manufacturing a recipe for success - Ideas from the food industry The Reading Room 0
SteelMaiden What does 99.9% success look like if processes were 99.9% accurate? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
Sidney Vianna ISO 9004 Managing for the sustained success of an organization - Update May 2017 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 89
L Success! We passed our TS 16949 Certification Audit yesterday! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
D Replicating Forum Success to Oil & Gas Sector - ISO 29001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M AS9100 surveillance audit success AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Using Excel .xls spreadsheet to replace paper logsheets - Has anyone had success? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 24
Marc A guide to success in China, by Americans who live there Immigration and Expatriate Topics 14
Sidney Vianna Towards sustainable success <=> Business Excellence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N College Project - Taking ideas from inception through to launch and achieved success Six Sigma 12
R 10 Success Criteria for Software Development Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Govind Virtual Audit by Internet or Electronic Communication - Do you have any success? General Auditing Discussions 11
S What is the Point of ISO Certification? Your company's success? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 17
WALLACE Interesting Discussion Does Lean hold the key to success? Is Lean the ideal vehicle for moving forward? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 77
D First Pass Design Success - TS 16949 Semiconductor Supplement Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
ccochran Customer Satisfaction Book - Techniques, and Formulas for Success Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
Y Benchmarking and Success Rate Survey (ROI) from ISO 9001 Implementation Benchmarking 11
S US Success in Designing & Manufacturing World-Class Goods Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M 1st day success! QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5