Anyone Dropping IATF and going back to ISO ?

M

Mrs Tucker

Anyone Dropping IATF and going back to ISO ?
My company had an issue with the German IATF board refusing our audit because the auditor turned in our audit to late.
Although we are certified until 2021, after discussions with our customers, Executive Management has decided to drop IATF and return to ISO.
I just wondered if other companies had considered dropping IATF.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
We decided not to upgrade from TS to IATF. Timing would have made us one of the first companies to be audited and that's not a good place for use. We'll learn from others mistakes. :)
We went to ISO but some customers want us to comply with the minimum standards document.

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
The need for IATF certification is usually based upon a senior management decision, considering factors such as customer requirements, contractual obligations, future tendering options, loss of potential business and cost of implementation / maintenance.

If the cost to the business is greater than the benefits to IATF certification offers, then that's the decision that senior management make.

M

Mrs Tucker

The need for IATF certification is usually based upon a senior management decision, considering factors such as customer requirements, contractual obligations, future tendering options, loss of potential business and cost of implementation / maintenance.

If the cost to the business is greater than the benefits to IATF certification offers, then that's the decision that senior management make.

I absolutely agree with you . However, curiosity has me wondering if many other companies senior management are making the same decision.

slor

Registered
Now I'm curious. I recently joined a company that drop their TS cert but now wanting to get ISO cert because of some customer requirements. The long term goal is to get into IATF, wonder if it's even worth the trouble.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
wonder if it's even worth the trouble
The question is will it be worth the cost. I have had a number of clients over the years who dropped automotive completely because it simply wasn't worth the problems and cost. I remember one company that literally shut down a Chrysler line. Chrysler was bitching about several things, and on top of that demanded a price cut - This was in the middle of a contract. The company dumped Chrysler but continued to sell after market parts at a very good markup.

M

Mrs Tucker

So True Mark, I've worked with Chrysler before and they send in a team to your company that camps out demanding enormous amount of time and non-value added changes along with price cuts....
With the German IATF board’s additional road blocks it makes it important to see if your OEM customers really insist on IATF or can exempt IATF based on your companies past performance. If they will, a good basic ISO Quality system sound like a better option

slor

Registered
With the little time that I've been here, VW seems to give us the most nonvaluable headaches

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
My company had an issue with the German IATF board refusing our audit because the auditor turned in our audit to late.
Next time, ISO 9001 auditor may also come late. My question is -"Is it a sufficient reason to downngrade from IATF to ISO?"

Last edited:
N

ncwalker

You do all realize that IATF is a subset of ISO, right? I mean, if you get the IATF cert, you HAVE the ISO cert as well. They aren't different things, IATF is an additional set of requirements for automotive ...

Top Bottom