Anyone Else bored with/during their continuing ISO 9001 audits?

B

Bob_M

Granted we're a small company (currently under 25 :( ) and we've had few problems/NC since we upgraded to ISO 9001:2000.

I'm finding our 6 month audits increasingly boring (except when problems are found).

Same exact "required quality" topics discussed (manual, CARs, mgmt review, etc) for about 1/2 the day, always visits Customer Service, and visits a few "unique" areas each visit.

Assuming we're doing everything right and my paperwork is upto date, I find my self bored during the audit and in fact doing very little to prepare for the audit. Yes it can be stressful, but I'm finding the audits very repetativle and boring. *shrug*

Anyone else "lucky" enough to have this problem?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Bob_M said:
Yes...which is why we've arranged to have our external audit cycle revised to once every 12 months. We cited the maturity of system and the caliber of findings as strong reasons to adjust the frequency. Registrar had no problems with this.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Think of the auditor.

Bob_M said:
Assuming we're doing everything right and my paperwork is upto date, I find my self bored during the audit and in fact doing very little to prepare for the audit. Yes it can be stressful, but I'm finding the audits very repetativle and boring. *shrug*

:topic:
Sorry I know this is probably not the place but I'll regale you with a tale from my days as a Quality Manager (if the term is still allowed). I was new to the company and was trying to tackle some cultural issues internally to do with third party audits and quality in general. We had our regular auditor in to carry out a 6 monthly visit. I put together a programme for him that was fairly high visibility (as previously they had been largely desktop / darkened room) and involved him attending a Kaizen presentation where a team fed back details of continuous improvement activities carried out.

Cut a long story short the guy came in spent a (short) day with us and left me disappointed because he couldn't find any problems (although there were plenty to be found).

The following day I tried to put a positive spin on the audit and, in a staff meeting, recounted a summary of the audit and ended with: "And he was particularly impressed with the CI presentation he saw." There were a few sniggers and when I challenged one guy he said: "You couldn't see it because you were standing behind him, but he was falling asleep!"

Another nail in the coffin - or just one bad apple?

T

tyker

Enthusiastic auditees

Many, many years ago in my third party auditing days, I used to visit a huge company in England where the routine visits took four of us almost a week to complete. We used to finish before lunch on Friday to drive home.
The organization's Quality Engineers acted as our guides during the week and would keep a record of which guide received the most non-conformities.
After we left, the Quality Engineers would go to the pub and whoever had been on the receiving end of the most NCRs didn't have to pay for his beer, he'd suffered enough. It was a fair challenge for the audit team to keep up with their demands for more NCRs. Their senior management weren't aware of the competition. No-one was bored.

D

D.Scott

RCBeyette said:
Yes...which is why we've arranged to have our external audit cycle revised to once every 12 months. We cited the maturity of system and the caliber of findings as strong reasons to adjust the frequency. Registrar had no problems with this.
Did they increase your audit days when they went to 12 months?

Dave

Bob_M said:
I find my self bored during the audit and in fact doing very little to prepare for the audit.
It would seem that you do what should be done between audits then? :) I mean: If so, I suppose you can allow yourself to relax a bit during the audit, right?

Concerning your question (Anyone else bored with....), my honest answer would be: -Yes, sometimes. What rather comes to mind is some to me unknown pilots description of flying: "Hours of boredom, sometimes interrupted by moments of sheer terror".

/Claes

D

Don Palmer

tyker said:
Many, many years ago in my third party auditing days, I used to visit a huge company in England where the routine visits took four of us almost a week to complete. We used to finish before lunch on Friday to drive home.
The organization's Quality Engineers acted as our guides during the week and would keep a record of which guide received the most non-conformities.
After we left, the Quality Engineers would go to the pub and whoever had been on the receiving end of the most NCRs didn't have to pay for his beer, he'd suffered enough. It was a fair challenge for the audit team to keep up with their demands for more NCRs. Their senior management weren't aware of the competition. No-one was bored.
I'll drink to that.:beerdive: :rolleyes:

D

David Hartman

Perhaps Slightly Off Topic

:topic: If I were paying someone to perform regular audits on the health of my quality system, and was getting nothing in return (other than a cert, anyway) I guess I would have to question my ROI.

Are we just blindly handing over money to the registrar, or are we really gaining a return on this investment?

I can understand a business having to foot the bill where cert is required by the customer, but why should we continue the blood letting if it is not required?

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
D.Scott said:
Did they increase your audit days when they went to 12 months?
Yes, but not necessarily for that reason. It will now be a combined audit - ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. Mandays increased due to the two standards, but overall, we save time.

J

Justin

You bet.

After dealing with ISO for the last 15 years, there is not much left to learn. I have even gone so far as leaving holes in the system to see if the auditor noticed them. 9 out of 10 times they don't even notice.

Thank goodness AS 9100 came along to spice things back up a bit. A few more perfect scores during assessment and that too will become boring.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Medica show in Dusseldorf - Has anyone else gone? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
S Has anyone else noticed... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
GStough Anyone Else Curious About the Loremo? World News 8
D Off Duty Balance - Does anyone else enjoy hiking to clear the brain...? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
H Anyone Else Taking the CQE Exam on Saturday 2 December 2006? Professional Certifications and Degrees 13
ScottK Does anyone else here Read and/or Collect Comic Books? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
B Star Wars Books - Anyone Else read/reading them? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
H Is anyone else attending the workshop to update the CQE exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
W Reliability Centered Maintenance - Anyone else doing RCM? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
D SMP - Skills Management Process - Does anyone else have experience with SMP? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
P PPAP for packaging? Does anyone else require this? APQP and PPAP 1
R VisualSPC: Anyone else using this software? Resistance from experienced operators Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
B Is anyone using Impact Software? Is there something else similar? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
A Can anyone share a Distribution Agreement template under MDR 2017/745? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
GreatNate Anyone using the Intellect QMS software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
P Anyone have an Idea on UAE Medical device registeration- Class B with FDA only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Does anyone have experience of GB/T 34986-2017? China Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Does anyone have experience with EN ISO 17664 ? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 9
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Has anyone heard of Run at Risk? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
B ASA Aviation Supply Association - Has anyone heard of ASA? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D Has anyone had sudden challenges from Korea-MFDS? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
GreatNate Metrotom - Does anyone have any exposure to the Zeiss Metrotom 800 or 1500? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D FDA Biomarker Qualification Program - Has anyone prepared an application? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
GreatNate QMS in SharePoint - Is anyone doing this? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
L Has anyone heard of the 2 pan system? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q Does anyone have experience implementing a QMS without ISO certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Does anyone here use ISOXpress/IMSXpress QMS software? Software Quality Assurance 11
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
M Has anyone here assessed the latest Abbreviated 510(K) guidance document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Has anyone undergone a BARDA (HHS) audit as part of their grant process? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0