Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Anyone still using floppies?

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
It's about 5 years exactly since I started this thread, and seeing som 3.5 floppies for sale on Amazon while looking for something else made me remember it. I see there that not only can you purchase floppies, but you can even buy the lower-density 720K variety. Much of what's for sale there seems to be new old stock having been discontinued by manufacturers. There seem to be some embroidering machines that in use that use them, as well as some manufacturing machines, but does anyone still use them in the office or around the house?

BTW, you can buy a used 5.25 floppy drive on eBay, and disks for it here but unless you have an old PC, you're out of luck using it. You can buy an external USB 3.5 floppy drive, but not a 5.25.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
We build computers to order - We have some customers who still require this but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find the devices.
I would think that finding motherboards with floppy controllers might be next to impossible. It's hard enough to find boards with IDE controllers for older hard drives, but there are PCI cards available for that.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
I have a USB floppy drive that I have had for a number of years. It works on my Macs and PC's. I don't use floppys any more but I have a lot of them in a box in a closet. I used it not too long ago for an old data disk and it read it without a problem. Just plug it in a Mac and it works. Haven't ttried it on a PC in several years, though. It probably came with a driver for PCs. I just keep it with the box of floppys.

See: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:172282,k:usb floppy disk drives

P

PaulJSmith

I bought one of those USB floppy drives several years ago to transfer files from an old Windows 98 machine to my then-new XP machine. I still have it ... in a box somewhere.

Also, I still use a Roland XP-80 synthesizer in my home studio, and the sequencer loads from and saves to a 3.5" floppy drive. So, I still occasionally use them. It's been awhile since I could walk into a store and buy them. The last box I had to order online.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Yup - My 2012 iMac has no DVD drive. Same thing - I bought an external USB DVD drive. I very rarely use it. I do have a 2008 iMac with a DVD. Technically I didn't need the external drive because it can share the one in the 2008 iMac, but they were cheap so I bought one when I bought the2012 iMac because I figured that I wouldn't always have the 2008 iMac turned on.

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Well my laptop still has a DVD drive (not as advanced as blueray yet). Also 2 years ago I managed to lay my hands on a USB floppy drive at work when it turned up in a box of junk after a 5 year missing spell. I immediately used it to check and copy any important files from my stack of floppy disks. Turned out I did it just in time as it got lost again never to be seen again and my Masters thesis was saved on the floppy disks. I don't actually have a paper copy anymore so it would have really bothered me to lose the data on those disks.

I now need to get my hands on a USB cassette deck and a USB record turntable to get fully updated. I love technology but it would be a real shame to lose the old music or data just to keep pace with modern electronics and data storage methods.

PS anyone think cloud storage is the real way forward for personal use?? Off topic I know but since 4G is a distant reality in large parts of where I live and travel, broadband is still not superfast and currently is a real pain on the reliability stakes. For me cloud is not useful prefer back-up to hard drives (external and portable).

Then USB flash drives? Little sticks of annoyance that take a lot of data nowadays then corrupts or stops working reliably. As obsolete as floppies are if treated well they work a lot better than usb sticks IME. Or is that my rose tinted glasses looking nostalgically back at the past???

Top Bottom