Anyone still using floppies?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I just saw an ad online and it made me wonder--is anyone still using these? I guess someone is, or they wouldn't be selling them.

picture.php

I have a seven-year-old desktop computer that has a 3.5" floppy drive, but it's been a long time since I've used it. The price of this package of 25 is $6.99, and for that price you can buy a flash drive that's much faster, much more convenient, and will hold nearly 30 times as much data as the whole box of floppies.

It's also still possible to buy 5.25" floppies, (and drives) but that might be easier to explain because there are a lot of people who like to mess with old computers.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I still have a bunch of good stuff on floppies that I not moved to our server yet.

That's the next 5-S/Lean project...:D

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I still have a bunch of good stuff on floppies that I not moved to our server yet.

That's the next 5-S/Lean project...:D

Stijloor.

I think I have some old floppies somewhere too that need to get thrown out but I'm wondering who's buying new ones. I guess there are enough people out there still running Windows 95 (no USB support in the earliest versions) who can't use flash drives.

M

MIREGMGR

At home, I have operable technology back to DOS, including 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives and quite a bit of more esoteric stuff. You never know when an old capability will be handy. I'm the kind of person that likes to be able to solve any problem that comes along.

I still have a floppy drive at work, but it hasn't been used in a while.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
I think I have some old floppies somewhere too that need to get thrown out but I'm wondering who's buying new ones. I guess there are enough people out there still running Windows 95 (no USB support in the earliest versions) who can't use flash drives.

We still use them at work - we have several robotic press brakes that have the older technology - we program at a computer station then transfer the program to the robotic via floppy.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I don't use them, but I still have them! I keep everything. The minute you think you don't need it and pitch it - you will need it and pay dearly to get it again...

You can imagine the net result of that type of thinking. It has worked well for me with my music collection, however...

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
We still use them at work - we have several robotic press brakes that have the older technology - we program at a computer station then transfer the program to the robotic via floppy.
Back in the '80s and '90s, we called that process "shoe leather networking!":)

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Jim,

I have so many blank floppies left, I don't buy them anymore...

Moved on to the flash drives when needed.

Stijloor.

Top Bottom