Anything higher than AQL 6.5 (ACCEPT/REJECT)?

Hi,
I have an AQL control point, categorised as minor, where I need to have a larger acceptance number, than what AQL 6.5% grants. (Single sampling plan for normal inspection)
I don't want to remove the control point, since I want to track error level, from lot to lot.
Please, advice what is the next number (XX) in the series .....0.065, 0.10, 0.15.......2.5, 4.0, 6.5, XX? (And where can I find the AC/RE levels, corresponding to AQL XX?)

P.S. I fear AQL6.5 is the end station :). If so, please suggest what I could do to obtain my goal

Thanks at lot in advance,
QualityMan75

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thanks for the calculator, the Excel sheets different fans look interesting, though a bit complicated. However, it was exactly what I need, so I can get the accept/reject level for a higer than 6,5% level.

The defect is minor, so I don't want to reject the lot. And I have to, if I don't go above 6.5%.

Hi Johnny Quality,
I don't understand what you mean? I am forced to increase the AQL for the control point to above 6.5%, so the ACCEPT/REJECT levels increase high, enough to accomodate the number of rejected items in the sample. For example, if I have a sample of K=125 pieces, and have 25 rejects, the it is above the 15 pieces defined by the ACCEPT level. Thus, I want to increase AQL to for example 15%, so I get maybe 30? defect as ACCEPT level. So, the lot will pass the incomming inspection.

Writing above text, shows basically I am adjusting the incomming inspection, to make the lot pass. One could say, that originally I was not aware of the level of defects for this control point, and I started out to ambitiosly. I cannot be the first, which has experienced such situation?
I believe above is fair for a minor defect, but would not make sense for a major defect.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I am still confused as to waht you are trying to do.
Our concern is that even 6.5% is a very large defect rate even for a minor defect. Teh goal of incoming inspection isn’t to accept lots - it is to protect the organization from a lot that has many defects that will cost more to deal with once they get into production.

What does your organization say about the defect rate?
If this defect is so minor that teh organization doesn’t mind 6.5% or more defects then why inspect at all? Why don’t you just accept all lots and deal with the defects in production?

My other thought is that perhaps you are misinterpreting the accept number in the sample.

Hi Bev D,
I agree with your viewpoints, the incomming inspection's purpose is to stop lots with many defects. My organsation wants to overrule the AQL and accept the lot. Then we will deal with it in production, as you suggested.

I guess there is not much to misinterpret regarding accept number in sample. My understanding is that at Single Sampling Plans for normal inspection, then K=125 pieces, 6.5% AQL , then 14 defect pieces is ACCEPT level., 15 defects is REJECTION level. (This is of course allready a high level of defects, so I understand your worry about allowing even higher defects, if using an even higher AQL).

But, what is meant by "Normal Inspection" in the "Single Sampling Plans for normal inspection" (abreviation = SSPFNI)? Meaning, can I use the SSPFNI to find the corresponding sample lot size and acceptance and rejection number given a specific AQL-level, regardless of which
of following GIL-I,II,III and SIL S1, S2, S3 and S4 that I want to apply?
Can you give an example of what a single sampling plan, could be for, if is not for normal inspection?

Thanks in advance,

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Single sampling plan is typical.
you don’t need a different type of plan. You need production (QA) to tell you what the actual AQL is and then stick to it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
MDD_QNA How to deal with FDA after not reporting anything for several years Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M How do you start a calibration/anything company? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
R Due Diligence - IGC USA - Anybody know anything about them? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
T Will the End of Windows XP Support affect anything in AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Does anyone know anything about the Mitutoyo MACH V CMM? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Colin Does anyone know anything about Saudi Arabian Certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
A We do not design anything brand new from scratch - Design Exclusion? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T DITE(UK)-2011-IO-001 - Do you know anything about this code? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
AnaMariaVR2 Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success [book] The Reading Room 1
H ISO 9001 Section 7 when you don't manufacture anything? Service Industry Specific Topics 6
ScottK Do the numbers 13496 or 16937 mean anything to you? Other Medical Device Related Standards 14
ScottK Just Changed Jobs - Ask me anything Career and Occupation Discussions 29
C Volkswagen Quality System - Is Volkswagen doing anything different? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
J Auditee offered help with anything in nonconformities Internal Auditing 16
T Fulfilling Training Requirements - We have NO Training Records on anything ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
E Can QA professionals learn anything from the current global financial crisis? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
T The air kerma measuring device - Does anyone know anything about it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Anyone willing to share anything related to Quality Control Project (QCP)? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
H ISO 9001 Audit Next Week - Have I missed anything? General Auditing Discussions 19
T New Employee Orientation - What, if anything, are you doing for new employees? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S FDA Part 820 Audit vs. ISO 9001 - Anything I should be aware of as an auditor? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 13
M Does ISO 9001 have anything to do with Workplace Safety? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
M Does anyone know anything about "Take Charge Program" from the US? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
D Anything in TS 16949 about the behavior of the Purchasing Manager? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C Anything I should do or study prior to taking the 14001 Lead Auditor Class? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 15
K Who knows anything about Alliance International registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
Le Chiffre Anything to be aware of when buying "re-titled" ISO standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Macintosh WiFi Security Hole Faked - Ah, Anything to Make 'News' After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
D Control charts for non-normal distributions - Do I need to do anything special? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Oracle PLM - Anyone out there using Oracle PLM or know anything about it? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
I Does anyone have anything about ISO 19000 standard family? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Q SAP ERP Software - do you know anything about it? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
D Ppm - Does anyone have anything good on ppm philosophy? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 10
N Whose fault is it? Our quality department gets blamed for anything! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 20
D Selling your car (or anything else)? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A Does the Detection rating have anything to do with Prevention? FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Scope and Purpose - For some reason cannot seem to write anything - ISO 9001 - 7.2.2 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Anyone hear anything about the new AIAG MSA manual? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
A Remember Ford/Firestone? Has anything really changed because of this? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
A Has anyone heard anything about the Financial Industry standard FS9000 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
L Ford Q1 vs. QOS vs. QS-9000's TE Supplement - Will Ford want anything else? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
B IEC 61010, Touch currents related to burns at higher frequencies (cl. 6.3, A.3) Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
supadrai What to expect when moving to higher-risk medical devices? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
MDD_QNA Class I Medical Device into a higher class (IIa or IIb) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
F Yield reaction higher than 100% Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
O Make Layout Higher Resolution? Using Minitab Software 1
Ajit Basrur Medical device recalls in Q2 2013 were 30% higher than previous quarter ! Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
T Specifically calling out the use of lower level documents in higher ones. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
O Reducing a Cpk which is higher than 1.33 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12