Anything to be aware of when buying "re-titled" ISO standards?

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions
Apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum for this question...

There's a number of different places to buy standards online. Is there anything to be aware of when buying a "re-titled" ISO standard from another source? e.g. I bought EN ISO 13485:2003 from BSI (hence the EN prefix). I'm looking for ISO TR 14969:2004 and have come across DS/ISO/TR 14969:2004 for $50 less than a generic ISO TR 14969:2004. The DS prefix indicates it's a Danish Spec but this copy of the standard is apparently in English.

Any issues buying a DS or EN prefixed ISO standard (or in this case a technical report)? I can't get satisfactory answers from the standards' vendors without purchasing them first :rolleyes:

If you're wondering why I'm "shopping around", it's because I bought ANSI/AAMI/ISO 14969:1999 a couple of months ago not realizing it's been superceded by the 2004 edition - ANSI make no mention of the document's status on the page where they offer it for sale! I'm appalled that a standards body doesn't take note of the guidance preached by its products and clearly label obsolete documents to prevent unintentional use - which is exactly what happened here :mad:

And having not ticked the box for eSubscription at the time of purchase, I am not able to benefit from the 1-year of alert emails that ANSI offer. Since it's actually a requirement of the ISO 13485 standard to keep abreast of changes and updates to standards, this is really infuriating!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Craig H.

Re: Purchasing ISO standards?

Hi,

Actually this has come up before - it does not matter which country the standard comes from. In fact, just within the last day or 2 it has been mentioned in the Cove that the Australians have an electronic version of some of the ISO standards available for very reasonable prices. You might want to try a search to get the particulars.

Several years ago I had a British and US copy of one of the ISO standards (9002, I think). I took the time to go through them side by side, and found spelling differences in 4 words (something like color, colour). Otherwise they were verbatim copies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S FDA Part 820 Audit vs. ISO 9001 - Anything I should be aware of as an auditor? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 13
Q Anything higher than AQL 6.5 (ACCEPT/REJECT)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
MDD_QNA How to deal with FDA after not reporting anything for several years Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M How do you start a calibration/anything company? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
R Due Diligence - IGC USA - Anybody know anything about them? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
T Will the End of Windows XP Support affect anything in AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Does anyone know anything about the Mitutoyo MACH V CMM? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Colin Does anyone know anything about Saudi Arabian Certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
A We do not design anything brand new from scratch - Design Exclusion? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T DITE(UK)-2011-IO-001 - Do you know anything about this code? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
AnaMariaVR2 Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success [book] The Reading Room 1
H ISO 9001 Section 7 when you don't manufacture anything? Service Industry Specific Topics 6
ScottK Do the numbers 13496 or 16937 mean anything to you? Other Medical Device Related Standards 14
ScottK Just Changed Jobs - Ask me anything Career and Occupation Discussions 29
C Volkswagen Quality System - Is Volkswagen doing anything different? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
J Auditee offered help with anything in nonconformities Internal Auditing 16
T Fulfilling Training Requirements - We have NO Training Records on anything ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
E Can QA professionals learn anything from the current global financial crisis? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
T The air kerma measuring device - Does anyone know anything about it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Anyone willing to share anything related to Quality Control Project (QCP)? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
H ISO 9001 Audit Next Week - Have I missed anything? General Auditing Discussions 19
T New Employee Orientation - What, if anything, are you doing for new employees? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Does ISO 9001 have anything to do with Workplace Safety? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
M Does anyone know anything about "Take Charge Program" from the US? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
D Anything in TS 16949 about the behavior of the Purchasing Manager? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C Anything I should do or study prior to taking the 14001 Lead Auditor Class? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 15
K Who knows anything about Alliance International registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
Marc Macintosh WiFi Security Hole Faked - Ah, Anything to Make 'News' After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
D Control charts for non-normal distributions - Do I need to do anything special? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Oracle PLM - Anyone out there using Oracle PLM or know anything about it? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
I Does anyone have anything about ISO 19000 standard family? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Q SAP ERP Software - do you know anything about it? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
D Ppm - Does anyone have anything good on ppm philosophy? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 10
N Whose fault is it? Our quality department gets blamed for anything! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 20
D Selling your car (or anything else)? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A Does the Detection rating have anything to do with Prevention? FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Scope and Purpose - For some reason cannot seem to write anything - ISO 9001 - 7.2.2 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Anyone hear anything about the new AIAG MSA manual? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
A Remember Ford/Firestone? Has anything really changed because of this? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
A Has anyone heard anything about the Financial Industry standard FS9000 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
L Ford Q1 vs. QOS vs. QS-9000's TE Supplement - Will Ford want anything else? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna ISO seems not to be aware that ILO is not very happy with ISO's work on OHS Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
E Audited to ISO 13485 standard although customer was aware we're not and have no plans to be ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
M Complying with AS9100 D Section 8.4.3 m. Ensuring that persons are Aware of... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
K Aware of Subtle change from AS9100B - QMS Documentation and Changes (4.2.1) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
P Automating RMA (return merchandise authorization) process - heard/aware of any? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Suppliers & Sub-Contractors not aware of our environmental policies and procedures ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
5 Is anybody aware of a VDA 2 Revision which includes parts of the APQP process? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
Sidney Vianna If Boeing is your customer and you are AS91X0 certified, be aware.... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22