API 6D-2014 24th Ed. Pto 6.10 - Heat Treatment Equipment Qualifications

MAISU

Registered
Good morning to the community of this forum,

We recently were audited by API, one of the new requirments from API 6D is that all heat treatments for mechanical properties on pressure-containing parts shall be performed using furnaces that are calibrated in conformormance with Annex F (point 6.10 API 6D).
We find that the suppliers do have their furnaces according with their procedures, but not accoding to Annex F, some of them they are not sure if their furnaces are suitable to be calibrated according to this annex and others say that it would supoose an extracost.

Has anybody gone through this situation? I will appreciate your help,

Maisu
Specification for Pipeline Valves. API Specification 6D is an adoption of ISO 14313:1999, Petroleum and Natural Gas Industries-Pipeline Transportation Systems-Pipeline Valves. This International Standard specifies requirements and gives recommendations for the design, manufacturing, testing and documentation of ball, check, gate and plug valves for application in pipeline systems.​

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
A quick "Bump". My Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this unanswered question. And, should you be browsing threads and it still has no reply, if you can help we will all appreciate it.

safi99

Starting to get Involved
Good morning to the community of this forum,

We recently were audited by API, one of the new requirments from API 6D is that all heat treatments for mechanical properties on pressure-containing parts shall be performed using furnaces that are calibrated in conformormance with Annex F (point 6.10 API 6D).
We find that the suppliers do have their furnaces according with their procedures, but not accoding to Annex F, some of them they are not sure if their furnaces are suitable to be calibrated according to this annex and others say that it would supoose an extracost.

Has anybody gone through this situation? I will appreciate your help,

Maisu
Specification for Pipeline Valves. API Specification 6D is an adoption of ISO 14313:1999, Petroleum and Natural Gas Industries-Pipeline Transportation Systems-Pipeline Valves. This International Standard specifies requirements and gives recommendations for the design, manufacturing, testing and documentation of ball, check, gate and plug valves for application in pipeline systems.​
Hi Maisu,

As per clause 5.6.1.2 ( Q1 sepc), critical product, component or activity suppliers need to be evaluated supplier's work site for conformance to the QMS requirements of your organization.]

In the given scenario, I believe that you have set the quality criteria for the heat treatment service (activity) provider to meet the requirements of spec Q1 ( 5.6) / 6 D.
having that said, if the purchase of the heat treatment service is regarded as critical purchase, then you must audit the suppler's QMS to meet your QMS (Quality criteria) requirements to demonstrate the control that you have on your suppliers. Needless to say, if the supplier does not fulfill your requirements ( criteria and conditions), you may have to explore the alternative service providers to adhere to the Sepc Q1 / 6D.

Alternatively, you may consider to perform the heat treatment activities in-house if feasible to do so to avoid tedious process of supplier evaluation/ site visit and difficulties to reinforce requirements to the supplier QMs.

Best regards

MAISU, I don't have a copy of 6D on me at the moment, but I have personally qualified heat treat/furnace/stress relieving ovens for API 6A and API 16A. There is definitely a lot more involved then just using them for ASME BPVC Section VIII. One company we had quote the surveying was over $10,000 per year so I just purchased all the equipment myself, wrote some operating/calibrating/survey procedures and rolled with it. If I can be of assistance, let me know.

Hi MrGezus, thank you very much for your respond and sorry for not answering you before, I was involved in other things and now return again with this issue about the heat treatments. Where you have your facilities? we are in Spain and the thing is that the most part of suppliers of heat treatments in Spain are not met with requirements of API 6D. We can send to you the requirements from API 6D and the aplicable annex to understand you our concern.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 6 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 5 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 3 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Marc API Documents Starter Kit - 2014 - Part 1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
L How to understand the term 3.1.21 'Servicing' and the clause 5.7.1.2 'Servicing' of API Spec Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
M API 4F/7K/8C Design Package Validation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
M API Spec. Q1, 8th Ed. Section 7.5.2 vs. Q1, 9th Ed. Section 5.7.1.5 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
D API Spec Q1 9th Edition # Re-audit - Disputing with API AARs Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
P API monogram mark requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
K 820.200 Servicing Procedure - Our system (because there is an API involved) is classified as Class 3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B API Q1 5.7.1.5 Process Validation - Machining, heat treating, Manganese Phosphate and Zinc Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Supplier re-evaluation (API Q1) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
F List of approved API manufacturers or Formulations manufacturers US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D API Q1 Supplement Audit Format Internal Auditing 0
G Start and main steps of API Q1 Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
S Can we integrate both ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 Management System Standards Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
R Interesting Discussion API Spec Q1 Addendum 2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
F API Spec Q1 Scope - Limiting the scope of certification Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
A API Q1 9th ed Addendum 2 - Vendor Assessment for critical products Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
DinuStan API 6A Chokes - PR1 / PR2 Tests Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
F Extension of a stability study for an API Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
R API 4F - Clause 11.10.3 Bolt Pretensioning Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
N API Q2 clause 6.2.2.1 Auditing Outsourced Suppliers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M API Spec Q2 Design and Development Requirements for Service Providers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
R Closing out an API/ISO QMS Audit Nonconformance - Magnetic Particle Examination Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D API 5CT Compliant Quality Plan for Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M API Monogram License for a Small Machine Shop Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Integrating API Spec Q1 with ISO 9001:2015 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 18
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Quality Manual Updates - ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 9th Editition Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
M API Q1 Certification Activation - Waiting, Waiting, and Waiting... Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
S API SPEC 7-1, 7-2 and 5 CT implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
K API Monogram Procedure example wanted Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2