API Q1 9th ed Addendum 2 - Vendor Assessment for critical products

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Are you looking to be API certified?

In your post you mention that you are talking about critical suppliers. Section 5.6.1.3 is for "noncritical purchases" where section 5.6.1.2 is for "critical purchases". I might be misunderstanding but I think you may need to focus on 5.6.1.3.

Have I understood you correctly?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

jmech

Trusted Information Resource
Dear Mr. Eredhel, This is Neeraj, working in Oil & Gas based company as a Quality Control. I have a same issue in regards to assessement of critical vendors According to API Q1 section 5.6.1.2 addendum 2, we have to follow section a, b & c . According to section C : 1) Performing an on site evaluation of relevant activities, ( we never do ) OR, 2) Performing first article inspection ...... (we perform on just few materials because for many materials it's not possible , for example: steel bar, API Dope, protectors , copper plating/ Zn / Mn chemicals...etc), 3) identifying how the supplied product, component or activities confirms to stated requirements when limited by proprietary, legal and or contractual arrangement. (for almost materials we just follow section 3 by confirming materials against material COC, MSDS, certificates and other legal documents). Recently one of our customer audit interrupted us and ask to follow either section C.1 or C.2 only, not C.3 (because according to auditor section C.3 not applicable for us) . Please help me to explain section C.3 to clear my doubt . Sincerely Thanks
The intent of 5.6.1.2 c) 3) is that you can only use it if you are unable to perform 1 or 2 due to "proprietary, legal, and/or contractual arrangements". For example, if you are purchasing a proprietary thread (so you do not know the required dimensions and therefore can't do a reasonable first article inspection) and your contract with your supplier doesn't allow you to visit their site (so you can't perform an on-site evaluation), then you can use 5.6.1.2 c) 3). If you are able to perform 1 or 2, then 3 is not intended to be an option for you.
Do you have any "proprietary, legal, and/or contractual arrangements" that prevent you from performing an on-site evaluation and from performing a first article inspection?

Due diligence established by the original Purchse Order, I.e. Contract, should insure full documentation of the original manufacturer regardless of the number of suppliers it goes through, It should also contain documented audit and full traceability

I got API Non-conformance:
Verification of control on supply chain has not been made evident for any of the sampled critical supplier.Verification of control on supply chain has not been made evident for any of the sampled critical supplier.
Evidence: Facility has included the requirement of API Q1 -9th Ed. Add. 2 in procedure but, no mechanism has been documented to verify controls on the supply chain.Also verification of controls on supply chain is not evident on any of critical supplier.
Help: Kindly provide a sample copy of procedure to overcome issues.

roneljdsilva

Involved In Discussions
I got API Non-conformance:
Verification of control on supply chain has not been made evident for any of the sampled critical supplier.Verification of control on supply chain has not been made evident for any of the sampled critical supplier.
Evidence: Facility has included the requirement of API Q1 -9th Ed. Add. 2 in procedure but, no mechanism has been documented to verify controls on the supply chain.Also verification of controls on supply chain is not evident on any of critical supplier.
Help: Kindly provide a sample copy of procedure to overcome issues.
Hello! We're on the same boat on this one with the mentioned finding, and I am still working on an appropriate way of addressing the nonconformance through the procedure.

In my view, at the moment, I am identifying the suppliers considered critical to my organization and based on the type of product, component, or activity, making a list of QMS requirements and 'Extent of Control on Supply Chain' requirements, and including the same in the procedure, which will later be used as basis for preparing a supplier questionnaire to address the same. Please share your view on this approach, as I believe you've taken the necessary corrections and corrective actions to address the nonconformity.

Any guidance on this subject by the experts we have here is much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Ronel Dsilva

The first thing you should do is identify why they are "Critical Suppliers". With that established you can define necessary controls and document how you verify the results are within the required parameters. .

Our present practice of identifying 'Critical' and 'Non-Critical' suppliers is based on the material/item criticality, defined by Product Engineering department based on the application/service/functional requirements. Is this a correct way, or shall we consider defining the criticality from purchasing point of view alone (Considering the lead time, High cost, Limited suppliers, Geographical location, etc.,)?

jmech

Trusted Information Resource
Your current way is correct.

Note that you are not required by Q1 to identify "critical suppliers", but rather you are required to identify "products, components or activities" that are critical and then apply the required controls to the suppliers of those purchases. It is common to refer to these suppliers as "critical suppliers", but that is not a term normatively used currently in Q1 and can lead to confusion.

Some of the other factors you listed may be relevant per 5.3b if you do a risk assessment on the supplier, but are not relevant to whether or not they are a supplier of critical "products, components or activities".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S API spec Q1 9th edition - Castings & Forgings Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
N API spec Q1 9th edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M API Spec. Q1, 8th Ed. Section 7.5.2 vs. Q1, 9th Ed. Section 5.7.1.5 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
D API Spec Q1 9th Edition # Re-audit - Disputing with API AARs Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
F Quality Manual Updates - ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 9th Editition Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
L Newly API Q1 9th Edition applicant HELP please =) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
P Experience / advice for integrating API Q1 9th with a WCM program Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
C API Q1 9th Edition Internal Audit Checklist /Report Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 22
F Operating Procedures for API Q1 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Calibration Procedure Traceable to National/International Standards (API Q1 9th Ed) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
M Risk Assessment & Contingency Planning (API Q1, 9th. Ed.) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
M Defining Critical Vs. Non-Critical Suppliers/Service Providers (API Q1, 9th. Ed.) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
J API Q1 9th Edition - Question on Outsourcing 5.6.1.6 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Product Risk Assessment and Management Procedure per API Q1 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
J API Q1 9th Raw Material Specs on P.O.s Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
N API Q1 9th Edition - My Experiences (A Diary) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 131
S API Spec.Q1 Standards Version in Purchasing Information Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S API Spec. Q1 clause 5.6.1.2 On site evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
L How to understand the term 3.1.21 'Servicing' and the clause 5.7.1.2 'Servicing' of API Spec Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
M API 4F/7K/8C Design Package Validation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
P API monogram mark requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
K 820.200 Servicing Procedure - Our system (because there is an API involved) is classified as Class 3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B API Q1 5.7.1.5 Process Validation - Machining, heat treating, Manganese Phosphate and Zinc Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Supplier re-evaluation (API Q1) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
F List of approved API manufacturers or Formulations manufacturers US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D API Q1 Supplement Audit Format Internal Auditing 0
G Start and main steps of API Q1 Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
S Can we integrate both ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 Management System Standards Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
R Interesting Discussion API Spec Q1 Addendum 2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
F API Spec Q1 Scope - Limiting the scope of certification Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
DinuStan API 6A Chokes - PR1 / PR2 Tests Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
F Extension of a stability study for an API Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
R API 4F - Clause 11.10.3 Bolt Pretensioning Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
N API Q2 clause 6.2.2.1 Auditing Outsourced Suppliers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M API Spec Q2 Design and Development Requirements for Service Providers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11