API Q1 9th Edition - My Experiences (A Diary)

A

Aussie99

Congratulation Aussie!!!
Can you please share your purchasing procedure. I am stuck with determination of criticality of the activities or product (5.6.1.1 a requirement) and I would like to know how did you respond to the above request.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Radica,
I currently have an outstanding AAR related to our purchasing procedure. Specifically how we carry out our initial evaluation for critical suppliers, so perhaps not such a good idea to share at the moment. But I should have it sorted by Monday or Tuesday. I'll post it when I've made the changes.

If your problem only relates to determination of criticality of the activities or product, then perhaps the following definitions, (which are included in our purchasing procedure) might help:

Critical Purchases - Purchases which are mandatory, indispensable or essential to fulfill customer requirements and directly affect the quality of the services/products.
Non-critical purchases - Purchases which are required to fulfill customer requirements, but do not affect the final quality of the services/product.
Basic Purchases - Purchases of miscellaneous indirect goods which bear no relevance to customer requirements.
Critical Tasks - Any task which is directly related to, or has the potential to impact on customer requirements.
Non-Critical Tasks - Any task which bears no relevance to any product or process for clients, either current or potential.

Please bear in mind, I'm relatively new to this Quality Management game, and my documents and what they contain may not be up to the standard of most others on here.:(

Regards

A

Aussie99

Congratulation Aussie!!!
Can you please share your purchasing procedure. I am stuck with determination of criticality of the activities or product (5.6.1.1 a requirement) and I would like to know how did you respond to the above request.

Thank you in advance.

Radica..............go to "Post Attachment Files" at the top of your home page, and in the "optional keyword" box type in "supplier evaluation". There's some great stuff in there that should be of assistance.:)

R

radica

Thanks Aussie,
For now, the determination of the criticality is my biggest problem. I will take into consideration the definitions that you have stated. I'd be very grateful for purchasing procedure. Please, share it when you done with corrections. Also, please tell me, is this your first certification or you already have the licensee? I would like to know which documentation must be presented to auditor for the products/activities produced/performed during the previous years?

A

Aussie99

Thanks Aussie,
For now, the determination of the criticality is my biggest problem. I will take into consideration the definitions that you have stated. I'd be very grateful for purchasing procedure. Please, share it when you done with corrections. Also, please tell me, is this your first certification or you already have the licensee? I would like to know which documentation must be presented to auditor for the products/activities produced/performed during the previous years?

I will post the purchasing procedure when it's completed Radica.

With regards to our certifications, the company I work for gained initial certification for API Q1 8th edition and monogram license for API 5CT & 7-1 back in 2008. The Monogram licenses were handed back in 2010 as our clients informed us they had no requirement for them. The Quality Management System fell into a state of disrepair after a tough period for the business from 2011 onwards and the Q1 and ISO 9001 certifications were suspended. My job has been to get things back in order again. Touch wood, we're very close now.

It has been an extreme learning curve for me, in a very short time and once again, I stress that perhaps my work is not the best example to be using for your own QMS.

As far as documentation goes for your activities, you need to ensure you have been compliant with all API Q1 requirements. I know that's a broad brush, but think about all the processes right through from the initial request to quote on a job, up to successful delivery. As far as the audit goes, you must deliver not only what API require, but also what your company has said it would do. Any deviation from your own procedures may be cause for you to explain. Remember, "Say what you do, Do what you say":)

Think about your contract review, purchasing, traceability, production process control, quality plans, inspection regimes, material certification, special processes, packaging, final inspection, and it goes on and on. Not all these may be applicable to your tasks, but it gives you some idea of what they are looking for.

A

Aussie99

Thanks Aussie,

OK Radica.................attached is revised Purchasing Procedure. Once again I stress, there may be parts which are not applicable to you, (your company), but I hope it is of some help to you.

Regards

Attachments

• QSP - 02 - Purchasing and Receiving Inspection Rev 4.pdf
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,332
R

radica

Thank you Aussie!

I will adjust the procedure according to my company. Your procedure will be only as a guideline.

Once again thank you a lot. :agree:

robsta

Registered
API auditor said that legal and other applicable requirements MUST be identified and listed in Quality Manual. Please share information what legal requirements you referenced in your quality manuals?

P

pjgary

Does anyone have a procedure for handling CRA product, such as "Stainless Steel", or more specifically, the 200+ grades containing at least 10.5% chromium which are corrosion resistant so long as they aren't contaminated by coming into contact with carbon steel and/or carbon steel particles

A

Aussie99

API auditor said that legal and other applicable requirements MUST be identified and listed in Quality Manual. Please share information what legal requirements you referenced in your quality manuals?

Hi Robsta,
I don't believe it necessary to identify all legal and other applicable requirements in the Quality Manual.........and the auditor I recently had on site who gave our QMS a big tick didn't say so either.
It is obviously important to identify all requirements, whether they be legal, statutory, industry, quality etc as part of your contract review process, and these will vary depending on what particular job your company is carrying out at the time.:)

An extract from our Quality Manual states"XXXXXX assesses all customer requests to determine the requirements necessary to successfully complete the task and ensure the finished product meets all customer, statutory, and regulatory requirements, including requirements not stated by the customer but considered necessary by the organisation for the provision of the product."

Relevant to your query, our Contract Management Procedure states:
"The following checks shall be carried out to ensure all requirements have been identified and documented, and XXXXXX has the capabilities and resources to fulfill the requirements.
1. Necessary information is available:
? technical data
? specifications and standards
? drawings
2. Customer requirements are understood and can be met:
? For product acceptance (eg. quality, inspections and tests, verification and validation, and any special monitoring)
? for delivery expectations
3. Related standards have been reviewed and can be met:
? statutory
? regulatory
? international quality
? other necessary and applicable standards
4. Connection Licensors procedures and requirements are understood and achievable"

So we never specifically identified and named each requirement anywhere in our Quality Management System, however an audit of our completed contracts will clearly show which ones were applicable to each particular job.

I hope this helps, as it makes no sense for me to list all the requirements which may or may not be applicable to any of the tasks we carry out here. Your requirements may bear some similarities to ours, but will definitely not be the same.

A

Aussie99

Does anyone have a procedure for handling CRA product, such as "Stainless Steel", or more specifically, the 200+ grades containing at least 10.5% chromium which are corrosion resistant so long as they aren't contaminated by coming into contact with carbon steel and/or carbon steel particles

Pigary................does your question relate specifically to oil and gas casing?
If so then some casing suppliers have some basic handling procedures available online. For an example, try the two links below and search through for pipe handling.

https://www.vamservices.com/library/files/VAMRunningBook.pdf
https://www.tenaris.com/en/MediaAndPublications/News/2013/January/Running_Manual.aspx

There may be something in there to assist you even if your question is unrelated to casing.:)

Top Bottom