API Spec Q1 7.5.2 & 7.5.2.1 - Audit Nonconformance Help

Big Jim

Admin
The point being in the Oil & Gas Industry, there are many critical pieces of equipment that depend on adequate mechanical, metallurgical, chemical and physical properties in order to operate properly and reliably.

ISO 9001, AS9100, API Q1, etc are QMS standards and don't delve into product performance requirements for obvious reasons

The point of linking the API document was to clarify that, even from API's perspective, proper heat treatment of critical products is paramount and many failures have been attributed to that issue.

A QMS that does not address product requirements in a robust manner is obviously a QMS that does not add value. We have to go beyond the general requirements of QMS standards in order to assure product integrity and fitness for use.

All this is true.

Would this also be driven by customer requirements? And if so, how many machine shops or heat treat shops would perform destructive testing at their own expense?

N

NHopkins

Quick observation/question on this.

We subcontract out fabrication, and at times our fabricators have to have material heat treated to meet customer requirements...that being said, according to API Q1 9th Ed 5.7.5.1 (Validation of Processes) I need to be involved in a greater capacity with validation of the processes my subcontractors subcontractor uses to heat treat materials used in my skid packages.

Did I make that connection correctly?

Big Jim

Admin
Quick observation/question on this.

We subcontract out fabrication, and at times our fabricators have to have material heat treated to meet customer requirements...that being said, according to API Q1 9th Ed 5.7.5.1 (Validation of Processes) I need to be involved in a greater capacity with validation of the processes my subcontractors subcontractor uses to heat treat materials used in my skid packages.

I would help if you could post what API Q1 9th edition 5.7.5.1 reads. I have not read it yet.

Do you mean 7.5.1.2?

N

NHopkins

9th ed is a different numbering scheme.
API Q1 9th Ed. Section 5.7.1.5 Validation of Processes for Production and Servicing:
The organization shall validate processes for production and servicing where the resulting output cannot be verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement. and as a consequence, deficiencies become apparent only after the product is in use or the servicing has been delivered. Validation shall demonstrate the ability of these processes to achieve planned results. Where an organization chooses to outsource a process that requires validation, the organization shall require that the supplier conform to these requirements. (See 5.6.1.6. Outsourcing).
The organization shall maintain a documented procedure to address methods for review and approval of the processes including:
Required equipment
qualification of personnel
use of specific methods, including identified operating parameters
identification of acceptance criteria
requirements for records
revalidation
The organization shall validate those processes identified by the applicable product specification as requiring validation. If these processes are not identified, or there is no product specification involved, the processes requiring validation shall include, as a minimum, nondestructive testing, welding, and heat treating, if applicable to the product.

R

Reg Morrison

You have to ensure that the product gets heat treated in accordance with the customer specification, irrespective if you do it, your supplier does it or your supplier's supplier does it. So, you have to control how the outsourcing of the heat treatment process is performed.

On top of that, since this is a special process, it must be validated (if not already validated by your customer) and/or samples/coupons have to be tested, what might involve both non-destructive and destructive examinations to ensure the adequacy of the heat treatment process.

Good luck.

Sajith

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

I hope the attached format for Validation of Special Processes helps.

Best regards,
Sajith.

Attachments

• 00 - QA-F-08-VP - Validation of Special Process - blank.doc
    54 KB · Views: 976
Top Bottom