Apology in advance - FanIQ.com

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I apologize in advance.

As experienced and clever as I think I am, I got sucked in by a phishing spam - still trying to sort it out.

I have no excuse, but maybe a weak defense - one of my longtime correspondents who is into Facebook, Linked In, etc. apparently sent me an invite to check out her FanIQ.com. Oddly, if it had come from almost anyone else, I would have been suspicious, but, hey, contrary to popular belief [mine], I do make errors in judgment.

Anyway, the sad tale about this outfit is here (http://community.ca.com/blogs/secur...q-spam-technique-to-invite-new-customers.aspx)

I am not sure now what I did when I clicked through to their site - it was exactly the typical BS I was so used to seeing, so if you are in my address book and you get one of these little bombs, delete it without reading. I only have a few phone numbers of my email correspondents and none of them have been around today to affirm or confirm whether my address book was purloined and used.

If you did get one and went through the BS as I apparently did, change your email password. as a precaution.

I have checked all my various association email boxes which are in my address book and none of them has had a blip, so maybe just my natural sloth kept me from completing the forms which would have allowed access to my address book for spamming.

I will report back from time to time if and when I learn more.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Wes, thank you. ;) These folks keep getting smarter and smarter, and trickier and trickier, in how they go about trying to get our information. The malware miscreant is out to destroy your computer system; however, more alarming (and probably more common now) to me is the miscreant not out to destroy it. They have intentions of spying and stealing our information. I have seen several in the malware circles allude to the fact that it is becoming pretty big business, hence the reason the problem is growing.

I think all of us get 'hit' at one time or another, Wes. Thanks for taking the time to share with us how it happened. Maybe it will make us all a bit smarter than before.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Wes, thank you. ;) These folks keep getting smarter and smarter, and trickier and trickier, in how they go about trying to get our information. The malware miscreant is out to destroy your computer system; however, more alarming (and probably more common now) to me is the miscreant not out to destroy it. They have intentions of spying and stealing our information. I have seen several in the malware circles allude to the fact that it is becoming pretty big business, hence the reason the problem is growing.
I think you're going a bit overboard, Brad. The FanIQ site doesn't do anything the user hasn't given it explicit permission to do, as far as I can see. People need to read what they're agreeing to before agreeing to it.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
I think you're going a bit overboard, Brad. The FanIQ site doesn't do anything the user hasn't given it explicit permission to do, as far as I can see. People need to read what they're agreeing to before agreeing to it.
Clearly identify what you consider overboard.:) I think I can have the opinion that anyone who is trying to get my information dishonestly or for some purpose other than what I intend, is malicious. Especially if it will be a royal pain cleaning up my system afterward.

Just because something is not illegal, does not make it right.:yes:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Clearly identify what you consider overboard.:) I think I can have the opinion that anyone who is trying to get my information dishonestly or for some purpose other than what I intend, is malicious. Especially if it will be a royal pain cleaning up my system afterward.

Just because something is not illegal, does not make it right.:yes:
There's no evidence that anything malicious is going on in this case. If FanIQ got into Wes's address book, it's because he gave them permission and the password.

What ever happened Wes worked out for me - I had over $M12 paid into my bank account from an attorney in Nigeria who says I'm the only survivor of a family with my name......:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::mg:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
What ever happened Wes worked out for me - I had over $M12 paid into my bank account from an attorney in Nigeria who says I'm the only survivor of a family with my name......:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::mg:
You ARE sending my finder's fee of one per cent, aren't you?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jim Wynne An Explanation and an Apology Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
A An apology Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Medical Device News FDA - Transformative new steps to modernize FDA’s 510(k) program to advance the review of the safety and effectiveness of medical devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Should advance notice be given for Disaster Recovery Audit? Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 9
D AS9100 Recertification Audits - How much in advance of the Certificate Expiration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
K Sending Audit Questions to the Auditee in Advance Internal Auditing 20
L FDA Audit - How much advance notice do foreign manufacturers get? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Marc Can an online degree help advance your career? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
C Engineering Drawing Pre-Release/Advance Release Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K PPAP Manual Fourth Edition will be available to order in advance on February 24 APQP and PPAP 4
Q Question on Unannounced Registrar Audits - Plant manager suggested no advance notice General Auditing Discussions 16