Appearance Boundary Standard - Plastic Components

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was asked to help on a CI. So, I figured this was the best place to start. We are in the plastic component end and deal with appearance. Things that are not good are flow lines, thick lines, scratches,etc. We use terminology such as light, very slight, minimum: which is very subjective. I feel we are headed for trouble using these terms. How do you handle appearance items such as these?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Master samples approved by some authority (customer or internal). Keep in mind that these need to be controlled if you use them. Photographs can sometimes also serve the same purpose.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You beat me. I was going to say boundary samples as well. However, beware their drawbacks.

Experiment performed: Boundary samples made and signed off prior to shipping approval. Cosmetic item for Harley. Using boundary samples, 100% visual yeilded 30% plus rejections at Harley. Harley then provides 2 inspectors to 100% inspect outgoing product at the customer's plant after the customer's inspectors and prior to shipping. Rejections at Harley? Stayed at about 30% plus - no reduction...

Moral of story: Cosmetics (visual inspection) are often in the eye of the beholder. But if that's all you have, it's better than nothing.

As Deming would say; provide an operational definition.
IMO, first determine when they are not good; when viewed 1" from the surface or 3 feet. Or maybe number of lines , scratches per square inch.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Sam said:
IMO, first determine when they are not good; when viewed 1" from the surface or 3 feet. Or maybe number of lines , scratches per square inch.
Teknow posted an attachment here that might help give ideas on how to create an "operational definition."

T

Teknow

howste said:
Teknow posted an attachment here that might help give ideas on how to create an "operational definition."
I'll try to get an appearance standard measurement tool scanned in & posted over the next couple of days - if it's printed out on acetate it can be placed over the area of concern to provide a method of measurement.
(alternatively, someone working in automotive may be able to get hold of appearance standard type "ruler" from Ford)
:ko:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Sam said:
I went through this with Harley. We had little cards as well (see attached) to use for sizing 'dings', pits, etc.

More interesting was there was a Cosmetic 'standard' part of which read something like "Look for no more than 5 seconds at 3 feet".

Obviously there were a lot of conflicts.

My only point here is we must remember - There is theory and there is reality.

Attachments

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Marc said:
I went through this with Harley. We had little cards as well (see attached) to use for sizing 'dings', pits, etc.

More interesting was there was a Cosmetic 'standard' part of which read something like "Look for no more than 5 seconds at 3 feet".

Obviously there were a lot of conflicts.

My only point here is we must remember - There is theory and there is reality.
You would not happen to have a postable of one of the control plans or know where or who I can get ahold of to ask?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F How to fill out an Appearance Approval Report (AAR) APQP and PPAP 0
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Understanding PPAP Appearance Approval APQP and PPAP 22
M 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V AAR (Appearance Approval Report) with general note for Grain APQP and PPAP 1
B Assistance in filling out an Appearance Approval Report for PPAP Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
R Appearance of an External Voltage on SIP/SOP (Medical Devices) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
R Definition Description and Appearance - What is the difference in a Chemical Laboratory? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
C Appearance Approval Forms - Assembly Operation APQP and PPAP 2
C Only appearance and PCB are changed - Do we need to submit a new 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I Appearance Approval Report (AAR) - For what kind of product is AAR applicable? APQP and PPAP 5
P Appearance Approval Report (AAR) Difficulties - Decorative Graphics Screen Printing APQP and PPAP 12
G Fundamentals of Color and Appearance - Seminar with Nick Lena - Worth the cost? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G General appearance inspection standards for casegoods (wood) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G Gloss/color - How much does gloss affect the appearance of color? Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
L Level 2 Containment requirements - Appearance issues Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R PPAP - Appearance Approval Report - I need help APQP and PPAP 10
C Appearance items - Seeking Standard, specification or documentation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
G 8.2.4.2 Appearance items IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Appearance Items IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.2 - Appearance Items require special controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O How can you deploy an MSA study on a visual inspection appearance variable Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Boundary Certification - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N True Position of slot Boundary with MMC Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
N Boundary of Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Marco Bernardi Concentricity Tolerance: A Unilateral Boundary Situation (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 22
S Statistics of Gage R&R & Boundary Specifications Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
T GD&T: Boundary - Callout for an Oblong Hole (Slot) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
T Quality Boundary Samples Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
J Control and Handling of Limit or Boundary Sample - Molding company and we get flash Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
B Grain boundary effects in alloy depletion analysis - SAE AS7101 requirement AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J GD&T - True Position - "Boundary" under the feature control frame General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D Comparative References are usually Visual Standards sometimes called Boundary Samples General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
O In addition to the standard, what other ISO 13485 sources do people recommend? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Informational RoHS Standard - EN 63000:2018 to replace EN 50581:2012 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
M IEC 60601-1 1988 - Device developed in 2012 with standard of 1988 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Cenelec updated standard information CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4