Appearance Items

T

tattva

Hi! My name is Bill and I recently have been named Quality Management System Coordinator, I know nothing about a Quality Management System.

I´d like to know what an appearance item is?

We make polyurethane foam seats, is this product an appearance item? How can I know if it is? Should I ask my customers if seats are catalogued as an A. I.?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

Appearance items are parts that are cosmetically important and seen by the customer. The leather on a seat would be an example. Chrome, paint, dashboards, carpet, etc. are typical appearance items.

There should be something in your specifications/drawings that specifically states if it is an appearance item, and if so what features. Do you have any color, texture, grain, etc. requirements? If so it might be one. If it will never be seen by the person who buys the car, probably not.

Tom

T

tattva

A.I.

Thnx Tom!

We don´t dress the seat, so i think A. I. does not aplly. Anyway I´ll ask our c ustomer.:bigwave:

C

Craig H.

tattva

Something you might want to consider is something like the color of the foam as an appearance item. Even though the end customer will not see it, you immediate customer will. Even if performance is not affected, if a radical unexpected change in color is seen by your immediate customer, they will likely become suspicious.

Perception can mean alot.

Just a thought.

Craig

T

tattva

Ok IC!

Actually foam turns yellow ( oxidize ) with time, i don´t recall sending yellow foam to a customer, but i can find that out.
Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Appearance items - Seeking Standard, specification or documentation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
G 8.2.4.2 Appearance items IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.2 - Appearance Items require special controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F How to fill out an Appearance Approval Report (AAR) APQP and PPAP 0
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Understanding PPAP Appearance Approval APQP and PPAP 22
V AAR (Appearance Approval Report) with general note for Grain APQP and PPAP 1
B Assistance in filling out an Appearance Approval Report for PPAP Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
R Appearance of an External Voltage on SIP/SOP (Medical Devices) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
R Definition Description and Appearance - What is the difference in a Chemical Laboratory? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
C Appearance Approval Forms - Assembly Operation APQP and PPAP 2
C Only appearance and PCB are changed - Do we need to submit a new 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I Appearance Approval Report (AAR) - For what kind of product is AAR applicable? APQP and PPAP 5
P Appearance Approval Report (AAR) Difficulties - Decorative Graphics Screen Printing APQP and PPAP 12
G Fundamentals of Color and Appearance - Seminar with Nick Lena - Worth the cost? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G General appearance inspection standards for casegoods (wood) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G Gloss/color - How much does gloss affect the appearance of color? Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
L Level 2 Containment requirements - Appearance issues Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R PPAP - Appearance Approval Report - I need help APQP and PPAP 10
G Appearance Boundary Standard - Plastic Components Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
O How can you deploy an MSA study on a visual inspection appearance variable Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K IEC 62304 - Functional and performance requirements for SOUP items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K Verify Software Architecture - supporting interfaces between items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F IEC 62304 - Segregation and communication between software items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
M IEC 62304 - Develop an Architecture for the Interfaces of Software Items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
C AS9100 8.3.5.e Design and Development Outputs - Key Characteristics / Critical Items AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Supplier Scorecard, Assessment of Pass Through Items From Sub Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Per IEC 62304, are DHF documents Configuration Items? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Polypropylene Packaging for Food items Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K What technical documents need to be maintained for "manufactured for" items 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
SteveK Interesting Medical Device Database Site (666,413 items listed) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Requirements for shipping items that fall under the Cartagena Protocol Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 clause 5.8.3 Records of Non-Conforming Test Items ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Not accepting Flowdowns for COTS Items AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Shelf Life Control and Identification of items that do not have Shelf Life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Process Startup Only items in a Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1