SBS - The best value in QMS software

Appendix Z in Harmonised Standards?

Cybel

Starting to get Involved
Hi
I’m working on the table of General Safety and Performance Requirements of MDR.
During a training activity on MDR, the teacher has explained that harmonised standards contain an appendix (maybe Appendix Z?), which defines which directives and ESRs the standard meets. Actually, I’ve found this information in some websites as well.
This should be helpful in demonstrating presumption of conformity.
I suppose that this apply to the MDD too, but I’m verifying several harmonised standards (respect to MDD), and I’m not able to find this table, even with other names.
So, my questions:
- is it true that harmonized standards contain such appendix?
- if so, is it possible that when a standard is harmonized, it is updated and that this annex is added later?
- if so, how to recognize an “harmonized” standard respect to a “simple" EN standard, at the moment of buying it?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Cybel

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

planB

Trusted Information Resource
Cybel,

- is it true that harmonized standards contain such appendix?

Yes, harmonised EN standards contain an Annex Z

- if so, is it possible that when a standard is harmonized, it is updated and that this annex is added later?

Yes, that might be possible.

- if so, how to recognize an “harmonized” standard respect to a “simple" EN standard, at the moment of buying it?

Harmonised standards are published in the OJ. Refer to this page for MDD.

Currently, there are no standards that are harmonised with regards to the MDR. There is only a draft standardisation request that might give you a clue which standards might one day have a Z-Annex related to the MDR.

Hope this helps,

Cybel

Starting to get Involved
Hi planB and Jean_B, thank you for your answers, they are very helpful and in the future I will remember to check this in advance.

I know that there are not yet harmonised standards with regards to the MDR, so I've been suggested that the best way to proceed, for now, is to connect each requirement of GSPR (MDR) with each requirement of ER (MDD) which is, at its turn, connected with the requirements of the harmonised standard (under MDD) in order to get a cross-reference between GSPR and harmonised standards.
This make sense for me, so I've looked for this appendix, but I've not found what I've expected to find: I've found only an annex ZZ that generally refers to the coverage of Essential Requirements of EC directive, while I would expected to find a detailed comparison table between the standards and each essential requirement. If it is so, this in not so useful...

annex ZZ.png

planB

Cybel,

a word of caution: MDD-harmonised standards may be outdated and superseded by newer state-of-the-art standard revisions. Under the MDR, you may want to conservatively cross-reference the latest ISO revision of standards in this case. One prominent example is state-of-the-art ISO 10993-1:2018: the harmonised standard EN ISO 10993-1:2009 is outdated and should not be referenced anymore in MDR GSPR checklist.

Generally, the comparison is not too detailed - DIN EN ISO 10993-1:2010 for example, contains this:

1608289543749.png

This thread might also be of use.

Hope this helps,

Cybel

Starting to get Involved
Yes, you are perfectly right, thanks for pointing it out.
The table ZA.1 in the DIN EN ISO 10993-1:2010 is better than nothing, should I found it in a state-of-the-art standard it will be a good starting point.
Actually, I have also just found that table in a standard that is not MDD harmonized, so maybe harmonization is not the criteria for the presence of this table or not :unsure::
annex ZA in not harmonised standard.png
Thank you again, for the link to the other thread too.

planB

Cybel,

the process of harmonisation is not very transparent to "outsiders". The example you mentioned shows that this standard was at least intended at some point in time to become harmonised, but the process of harmonisation went astray somehow. One reason could be (but only speculative for your specific example), that the HAS consultant or other stakeholders do not agree with the proposed cross-reference table.

The only authoritative reference of harmonisation is publication in the OJ.

Cybel

Starting to get Involved
Oh, good to know. Thanks for your interesting inputs.
I would like to share my attempt of GMDR list, maybe the way it is set up may be useful for someone, even if I suppose the contents may be improved and "compliance notes" made stronger.

Attachments

htcoztrk

Starting to get Involved
Hello planB,

My question reffering to below quote from you: As you know the ISO 10993-1:2018 finally harmonized by CEN in December 2020. Although I haven't purchased it yet (due to both economic reasons and DOW 30th June, 2020), as I heard it also contains no Annex Z like many other standards updated during last 1,5 year because they are still working on relation of standard to MDR GSR.
So for my MDD technical file, should I consider the Annex Z of revious harmonized version EN ISO 10993-1:2010 or consider the current EN ISO 10993-1:2020 but specify it does not contain the Annex Z for the current moment? Hope my question is clear enough.

Thank you everyone in advance.
-Hatice
One prominent example is state-of-the-art ISO 10993-1:2018: the harmonised standard EN ISO 10993-1:2009 is outdated and should not be referenced anymore in MDR GSPR checklist.

planB

Sorry, but ISO 10993-1:2018 has _not_ yet been harmonised: just because EN ISO 10993-1:2020 was recently published by European standards organisation CEN does not imply automatic harmonisation. As of today, not a single medical-device standard has been harmonised under the MDR. Still, I would recommend referencing the most recent standard revision, being the recognised state-of-the-art.

Hope this helps,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
K MEDDEV 2.7/1 Rev 4 Appendix - A11 - Declarations of Interests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R 510(k) Draft Guidance issued: 2011 vs 2014 - Appendix C. 510(k) Process diagram gone US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Commercial Grade Supplier Surveys - Not qualifed 10CFR50 Appendix B or NQA-1 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T Procedures Cited in OHSAS 18001 Appendix Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
M AS9101 Appendix D question - What to put in Box 8 ?Process Name? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
B Commercial Grade Dedication requirements for a 10CFR50 Appendix B Manufacturer Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 8
R Customer requesting NQA-1 supplement, ZS-1 w/appendix, ZA-1 compliance Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
bobdoering Capability Calculations: Are AIAG SPC Appendix F Conclusions Wrong? Imported Legacy Blogs 5
O MSA Guidelines Appendix C - Value constant K3, which depends upon the number of parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Document Code Structure for Appendix Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
P AIAG FMEA manual 4th edition - Problem with Appendix C FMEA and Control Plans 3
T N 286.1 as it relates to 10 CFR Appendix B Part 50 - Nuclear Requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
J Measurement Over Wires - Is there an ISO equivalent of ASME B1.16m Appendix B? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
I AEC Q200 REV C, page 58 of 111, Appendix 2 - PPAP Table Explaination Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Bulk Materials PPAP / FMEA - Appendix F of the PPAP manual APQP and PPAP 1
P Quality Manual Appendix: Quality Objectives - Isn't this just wrong? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q AIAG SPC Manual - Is the Control Chart in Appendix I wrong? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Uncontrolled Appendix? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
R APQP Appendix F - Product Quality Planning Summary And Sign-off APQP and PPAP 9
D Registrars review Customer Complaints - QS-9000, Appendix B.6 Interpretation Customer Complaints 29
Howard Atkins 4.2.3.7 - Control Plans - Information in Appendix J FMEA and Control Plans 3
SteelMaiden "N" Certification - Nuclear - Steel - 10CFR50 Appendix B, 10CFR21 and ANSI N45.2 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
T Scope of Registration - Refer to the QSR appendix I para 19 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
E All shifts at surveillance audit? Appendix H, point 5, page 109 QSR 3rd Edition QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
T PPAP Appendix F.3 "Customer Plant Connection" - Bulk Materials - Steel Coil Supplier APQP and PPAP 4
Marc QS-9000, Appendix I, #6, Confidentiality - DaimlerChyrsler - Hank Gryn? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
dgrainger Informational EU published new Harmonised Standards List for the Directives (25/3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Referencing Harmonised Standards in Declarations of Conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Harmonised RED Standard ETSI EN 440 - Which Version? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
A Timeline for harmonised standards to be published under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M Informational Links to recognized / harmonised / consensus Standards for each market Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
J Use of Harmonised Standards (Full or Partial) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q IVD vs EMC OJ (Official Journal of the European Union) Harmonised Standard Conflicts EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Is BS EN ISO 15223-1 a harmonised standard? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K How to guess when the standard gets harmonised? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q A Resource - Cheap Harmonised ISO and IEC Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sam Lazzara MDD Harmonised Standards (MDD 93/42) not updated since January 2013 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G New list (01-2013) of Harmonised Standards for The MDD published EU Medical Device Regulations 18
M Integrating Multiple HSEQ Systems into a Single Harmonised Global System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W New harmonised standards MDD and IVDD 2012/C 262 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Sam Lazzara Updated Europe Harmonised Standards Lists (2012-08-30) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
rob73 Harmonised Standards on DoC (Declaration of Conformity) EU Medical Device Regulations 10
P Increasing Numbers of Harmonised Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Sam Lazzara Medical Device Harmonised Standards Update - May 2011 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Objections to ISO standards as harmonised standards in the EU - What's your opinion? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Is there an expectation to meet harmonised standards of the Machinery Directive? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Sam Lazzara Updated list of MDD harmonised standards (June 14, 2010) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P List of Harmonised MDD Standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9