Apple Provides New Medical Device Cautions

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...they placed an iPhone 12 over the heart of a patient with a Medtronic implanted cardioverter-defibrillator. They reported that the device’s operations were suspended every time. ...
Granted this is a single case, so maybe there are some undisclosed complicating/explanatory details...but how does this happen? Both devices (the iPhone & defibrillator) were presumably subject to applicable EMC standards. Is this an indication that the emission standards for consumer electronics (e.g. iPhone) and/or the immunity standards for medical devices need to be stricter?

Given I haven't heard much more, I assume this isn't that big a deal? That said, that's a pretty big list of totally ubiquitous Apple products (iPhone, iPad, AirPods, AppleWatch, MacBook,...). I don't know that you could realistically keep these away from medical devices in this day-and-age....

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
I was working with some engineers from a pacemaker manufacturer today doing, coincidentally, magnetic field immunity testing. The testing we were doing was AC magnetic field immunity above and beyond regulatory requirements. I asked them about this story. They said that pacemakers and implantable defibrillators have sensors that allow a doctor to place a magnet over the device, which puts it into a safe state. This is a particularly important feature in defibrillators. The response to magnets described in the article is as intended.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Apple Watch is not a medical device. How can this be possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
BradM Class action lawsuit against Apple - iPod Software updates - 2006 thru 2009 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
bobdoering Finally, evidence that people are starting to care about Apple computers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Marc Apple?s First "iPhone" - 1983 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Apple preparing to deliver iPad twins with 9.7-inch screens (rumor) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc How Apple stays Ahead in Component Technology After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Apple - 35 Years Old - Remembering the Apple I After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Apple I Auction: Historic PC Could Fetch Over $160K After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Block unwanted text messages on your Apple iPhone World News 5
Marc Microsoft Losing Big To Apple On Campus After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Marc Apple Dethrones Microsoft As World's Biggest Tech Company After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Apple Enforces "Supplier Code of Conduct" After Child Labor Discovery After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
Stijloor Apple announces 'iPad' tablet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
T PC or Apple MacIntosh - Which is better? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 53
Stijloor Will Apple's iPhone go to Verizon? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Apple Releases OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard - 28 August 2009 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Marc Apple Tree Leaf Bugs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Wes Bucey The FIRST computer virus - only on Apple? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Marc Apple's iPhone - The rumour was true! And WoW! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
Marc Apple Recalls 1.8 Million Sony Manufactured Notebook Batteries World News 0
Marc Mac users face first Apple virus? Or News and Virus Program supplier Hype After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc OSx86 10.4.4 Security Broken - Apple's latest release of OS X for Intel After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc Apple Offers College Lectures Via Podcasts Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
A Apple Macintosh - The US$500 Mini Mac - Anyone have one? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
I Apple Macintosh - Software and Thoughts After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc The New Mini Mac! Apple Computer's January 2005 Coup? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Informational US FDA – FDA provides updates on the agency’s continued commitment to evaluating postmarket safety of Essure device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N USB Powered EEG - USB provides 1 MOPP want 2 MOPP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M AS9102 Training - Seeking third party agency that provides online AS9102 training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
C Who provides oversight of API (Americal Petrolium Institute)? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
A 7.4 Purchasing Question - My company only provides services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Important procedures and clauses for company which provides equipment rental Service Industry Specific Topics 1
S Can enclosure of semiconductor or electrolytic capacitor provides basic insulation? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
P Standards Subscription - Online web site that provides AMS, NAS, SAE etc, standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
T MDS 2... who provides this information? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Gage R&R Software which provides Bias and Linearity Information Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
W ISO 9002 in small business that provides telecommunications service Service Industry Specific Topics 8
dgrainger Informational MHRA's Software and AI as a Medical Device Change Programme UK Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational Consultation on the future regulation of medical devices in the United Kingdom UK Medical Device Regulations 0
S Medical Device - Technical Documentation structure EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam On-product labels for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Reprocessing of an accessory for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V Taiwan - Veterinary medical devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K System of medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Class 1 medical device - Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Dental application - medical product or not? Other US Medical Device Regulations 8