Apple Releases OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard - 28 August 2009

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Installing OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard - 28 August 2009

Just did the upgrade. Took about 40 minutes. No user interaction required the whole time. So far as I can tell, only a neat prefpane (menumeters - My *MAIN 'tool') is incompatible. So far as I can tell, all my 32 bit apps work (you have to check Rosetta in the install options).

For the Mac people here. I'll add to this as I continue to explore Snow Leopard.

So far, so good.

BTW - I didn't do a clean install as I know I *should* (too lazy to reinstall all my software).

Also - I had everything backed up to a bootable disk (yea - checked to make sure it would boot after cloning with CarbonCopyCloner) so a crash wouldn't have significantly affected me.

Now - On with the evening!

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Re: Installing OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard - 28 August 2009

So far, no serial numbers required. I bought the 'box set' to get the iLife and iWork '09 updates. Installing iLife '09 now and then to iWork '09.

NOTE: I have a laser jet HP 4005 and duplex printing appears to be disabled.

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator

So far, no serial numbers required. I bought the 'box set' to get the iLife and iWork '09 updates. Installing iLife '09 now and then to iWork '09.

NOTE: I have a laser jet HP 4005 and duplex printing appears to be disabled.
Let us know how you like the new iWork and iLife updates, Marc. I keep getting the upgrade notifications, but haven't done them yet. :eek:

Marc

Staff member
Admin

So far - there are some HP printer issues (no printer duplex) but it does print OK (just not double sided which is a big reason I bought it) and my scanner (HP5550C) isn't recognized.

I'm looking at those issues but the upgrade was a 64 bit 'core' upgrade to kick in the multi-core Intel chips capability (again, 32 bit apps that I have tried so far other than the MenuMeters prefs pane all work, but then again I have more testing to do... Parellels is next... My printer works, so if I DO loose duplex function I *can* boot from my pre-update drive and print and scan as usual. I consider my final OS X 10.5.8 to be a 'frozen' drive. I won't update it. It's off line as an 'emergency' drive right now.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Yup - Got the printer duplex working. Scanner may be a problem. I'll try a reinstall of the drivers from my original disk later. Right now it's dead. So far everything else I've tested is working.

I have Parallels 4 - It works.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Reinstalled the HP Scanjet 5550C scanner with sheet feeder. Works as it should.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Reinstalled the HP Scanjet 5550C scanner with sheet feeder. Works as it should.
What driver did you use? According to the HP support site, the most recent one available is for OS 9. I'm curious only because when Windows XP was released, HP (and a few other manufacturers) decided not to create drivers for a lot of their older hardware, and a lot of people were SOL. It resulted in a lot of bad PR for HP.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Apple Watch is not a medical device. How can this be possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
BradM Class action lawsuit against Apple - iPod Software updates - 2006 thru 2009 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
bobdoering Finally, evidence that people are starting to care about Apple computers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Marc Apple?s First "iPhone" - 1983 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Apple preparing to deliver iPad twins with 9.7-inch screens (rumor) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc How Apple stays Ahead in Component Technology After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Apple - 35 Years Old - Remembering the Apple I After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Apple I Auction: Historic PC Could Fetch Over $160K After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Block unwanted text messages on your Apple iPhone World News 5
Marc Microsoft Losing Big To Apple On Campus After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Marc Apple Dethrones Microsoft As World's Biggest Tech Company After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Apple Enforces "Supplier Code of Conduct" After Child Labor Discovery After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
Stijloor Apple announces 'iPad' tablet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
T PC or Apple MacIntosh - Which is better? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 53
Stijloor Will Apple's iPhone go to Verizon? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Apple Tree Leaf Bugs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Wes Bucey The FIRST computer virus - only on Apple? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Marc Apple's iPhone - The rumour was true! And WoW! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
Marc Apple Recalls 1.8 Million Sony Manufactured Notebook Batteries World News 0
Marc Mac users face first Apple virus? Or News and Virus Program supplier Hype After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc OSx86 10.4.4 Security Broken - Apple's latest release of OS X for Intel After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc Apple Offers College Lectures Via Podcasts Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
A Apple Macintosh - The US$500 Mini Mac - Anyone have one? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
I Apple Macintosh - Software and Thoughts After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc The New Mini Mac! Apple Computer's January 2005 Coup? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
M Medical Device News MHRA releases response to consultation on EU exit no-deal legislative proposals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Joint Action On Market Surveillance Of Medical Devices (JAMS) Releases Progress Update EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO releases second edition of handbook on Integration of Management System Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA Releases Draft Recommendations on Premarket Submissions for Management of Cybersecurity in Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 24-09-18 - CDRH Releases Collaborative Communities Toolkit Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
B Mains fuses and OVER-CURRENT RELEASES IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Ronen E FDA releases new draft guidance on when to submit a 510(k) for device modification Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
S FDA releases Updated Laser Products Regulation Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Tracking New ISO Document Releases Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Ajit Basrur GHTF Releases many documents on Nov 5, 2012 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 8
B How to handle Medical Device Emergency Software Releases Software Quality Assurance 4
bio_subbu FDA releases draft guidance on Providing Regulatory Submissions in Electronic Format Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
bio_subbu ISO releases Standard on Good Clinical Practice (ISO 14155:2011) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Software Device "Urgent" Releases? Software Change Control Process IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
Ajit Basrur FDA releases new Draft Guidance - Process Validation - Gen Principles and Practices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 27
Sidney Vianna Press releases that makes you wonder World News 19
Q AIAG Releases the 2nd Edition of their SPC (Statistical Process Control) Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
C Delphi Customer Specific Requirement (CSR) - Delphi releases their updated version Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Marc Intel releases is WiMax chip - And Rewrites History After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
G TS 16949 Section 7.2.2 - Product Releases against Purchase Orders covered by clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Marc ASQ Releases New Membership Model - Will it make a difference? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 75
A AIAG Releases FMEA Update - 30 June 2001 FMEA and Control Plans 16
Marc ISO Releases DIS Versions of ISO 9001 Year 2000 Revisions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
J Standards Australia releases Interim 9000-2000 series ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0