SBS - The best value in QMS software

Apple Watch is not a medical device. How can this be possible?

François

Involved In Discussions
Hello all,

After the FDA clearance, it seems that Apple has obtained the CE certification for its ECG App. However, I'm surprised that the Apple Watch is not considered as a medical device by Apple or their Notified Body.

I wonder how this has been justified since the Apple watch should be considered as an accessory according to the MDR or the MDD and have the same classification as the software.

What could have been their strategy to avoid having the hardware certified by their Notified body? I'm really interested by your takes on this. Like I said in a previous thread, I'm not an expert in regulatory affairs so I can't figure how they've managed this.

For info: I've attached their IFU (Not really nice symbol resolution or cropping by the way).

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Their strategy? Being Apple.
It ties up nicely with the FDA creating their special program for "select" SW Manufacturers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
BradM Class action lawsuit against Apple - iPod Software updates - 2006 thru 2009 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
bobdoering Finally, evidence that people are starting to care about Apple computers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Marc Apple?s First "iPhone" - 1983 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Apple preparing to deliver iPad twins with 9.7-inch screens (rumor) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc How Apple stays Ahead in Component Technology After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Apple - 35 Years Old - Remembering the Apple I After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Apple I Auction: Historic PC Could Fetch Over $160K After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Block unwanted text messages on your Apple iPhone World News 5
Marc Microsoft Losing Big To Apple On Campus After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Marc Apple Dethrones Microsoft As World's Biggest Tech Company After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Apple Enforces "Supplier Code of Conduct" After Child Labor Discovery After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
Stijloor Apple announces 'iPad' tablet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
T PC or Apple MacIntosh - Which is better? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 53
Stijloor Will Apple's iPhone go to Verizon? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc Apple Releases OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard - 28 August 2009 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Marc Apple Tree Leaf Bugs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Wes Bucey The FIRST computer virus - only on Apple? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Marc Apple's iPhone - The rumour was true! And WoW! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
Marc Apple Recalls 1.8 Million Sony Manufactured Notebook Batteries World News 0
Marc Mac users face first Apple virus? Or News and Virus Program supplier Hype After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc OSx86 10.4.4 Security Broken - Apple's latest release of OS X for Intel After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc Apple Offers College Lectures Via Podcasts Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
A Apple Macintosh - The US$500 Mini Mac - Anyone have one? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
I Apple Macintosh - Software and Thoughts After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc The New Mini Mac! Apple Computer's January 2005 Coup? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
S Medical watch Class II (AP Type CF) with USB connection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
L Does someone has experience with a Supplier "Quality Watch" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
D Found Watch - Watch is "Element" and says "New York" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
C Calibration Of Stop Watch using the NIST Clock General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Marc Watch Small Business for Employment Forecasts World News 0
D Watch out Broadway Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
SteelMaiden Watch what you ask for at breakfast Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
Marc Watch Out GM, Toyota Profit Rises 34% World News 0
Marc Watch the Pretty Circle of Dots Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
C What kind of watch do you wear to tell time? What else does your watch do? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 65
Hershal What do you watch? TV - Movies - News? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 47
P Visual Standard for Watch Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Marc Stop Watch Calibration Reality Check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Brian Benzarti Medical Devices CLP Regulation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Medical Device Regulations in Lebanon? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
dgrainger Informational Medicines and Medical Devices Act 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Medical Device MRI Compatibility EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M NICE Medical Technology Evaluation Programme - Recommendations Service Industry Specific Topics 0