Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR)

RA_QA_Expert

Starting to get Involved
Hi all,

I would like to ask you for your advice.

We plan to buy new infant beds (cribs) for hospital. Class I Medical devices, nonsterile, without measuring function.

I found technical standard EN 50637 Medical electrical equipment - Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of medical beds for children issued in 2017, which is applicable for this type of beds. On the other hand, this standard is not harmonized with MDD/MDR.

We asked some manufacturers how they meet this standard. Some answers are, that they do not have to meet it, because non-harmonized standards mean volunatry standards. We also recieved some bisk-benefit studies, based on PMS, clinical evaluation and risk assessment, which explain why this standard doesn´t have to be applied (from MDD/MDR perspective).

Is that acceptable? Are CE marking and EC Declaration of Conformity valid? This standard should be state-of-the-art standard.
Thank you for any hints.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
You are not in a position to evaluate the conformity of the bed manufacture with all the applicable requirements of MDD or MDR; the notified body does that.
If you are concerned about this, I would recommend that you purchase units from one that manufacturers who were assessed by one of the more reputable notified bodies, preferably one of those who are approved for MDR.

RA_QA_Expert

Starting to get Involved
You are not in a position to evaluate the conformity of the bed manufacture with all the applicable requirements of MDD or MDR; the notified body does that.
If you are concerned about this, I would recommend that you purchase units from one that manufacturers who were assessed by one of the more reputable notified bodies, preferably one of those who are approved for MDR.
Thank you, I understand, it would be good solution.
Nevertheless, as I mentioned above, this is Class I Medical devices, nonsterile, without measuring function, that means a manufacturers use "self-certification" process without NB...

But in general, it is possible/legal, that the manufacuter can decide to not use non-harmonized standard, even it is state-of-the-art standard?
I understand, if there is any similar or still valid previous version of any standard (e.g. EN ISO 14791:2019 vs. 2012 version), that I can wait until the previous version is still valid, but what if there is total new standard without any previous version (our case)?

thanks a lot

François

Involved In Discussions
The use of standards (harmonized or not) is never mandatory. The use of harmonized standards is a way to prove more easily that you're in conformity with MDD or MDR when available. But a manufacturer is free to comply with regulation by using other methods.

shimonv

But in general, it is possible/legal, that the manufacuter can decide to not use non-harmonized standard, even it is state-of-the-art standard?

I understand, if there is any similar or still valid previous version of any standard (e.g. EN ISO 14791:2019 vs. 2012 version), that I can wait until the previous version is still valid, but what if there is total new standard without any previous version (our case)?
Yes, it is possible. Manufactures are not expected to comply with any related standard, and there are many international and local standards out there. However, manufactures are expected to follow the generally acknowledged state of the art or provide justification for not doing so. This should be a part of their QMS processes for updating the list of applicable standards.

Since it's a class I device and you want to be assured of the quality of the infant beds, what you can do is to read the standard and challenge the manufactures about applying or not applying it in their organisations. Obviously, quality assurance is composed of many layers but this interaction with the manufactures should give a good indication on how serious they are about their work.

dgrainger

If you want to purchase beds that meet the standard then make it a requirement in your specification.
What to you mean by a "state-of-the-art standard"?

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
I suggest you need to determine state of the art for your industry/products. MEDDEV 2.7/1 rev 4 has lots of guidance on this. You should document your understanding of the current state of the art in your clinical evaluation report. State of the art might (or might not) include compliance with standards (harmonised or otherwise). The standard you mention is fairly recent so we will probably have some contribution to state of the art for your industry. If your Notified Body deems it to represent state of the art they may well expect you to be meeting it, or have a documented justification if not. Hope this helps, the MEDDEV is a bit of a slog but there is some good stuff in there.

Mark Meer

Are CE marking and EC Declaration of Conformity valid?
Yes, CE marking and EC Declarations of Conformity can still be valid even if harmonised standards are not applied. The DoC is a declaration by the manufacturer that the device meets regulations and, as mentioned in this thread, application of standards (harmonised or not) are an optional (though reliable, particularly if harmonised) way to demonstrate conformity.

You can certainly request evidence of how the manufacturer is demonstrating conformity to general safety and performance requirements, if not via applied standards, and evaluate whether this is acceptable to you. I agree with @dgrainger that if the particular criteria of the standard are important to you, then make them requirements of purchase, or request evidence for meeting specific considerations of the standard.

RA_QA_Expert

Starting to get Involved
So the summary is following (based on information above and EC Blue Guide):
  • Compliance with technical standards is voluntary
  • The MDD and MDR lay down essential requirements on safety and performance of the devices they cover, but do not prescribe any specific mandatory technical solutions for the manufacturing and design of the devices - other technical specifications however do not benefit from the presumption of conformity
  • The precise technical solution may be provided by a standard or by other technical specifications or be developed in accordance with general engineering or scientific knowledge laid down in engineering and scientific literature at the discretion of the manufacture, that means, the conformity of a product may be demonstrated not only by harmonised standards but also by other technical specifications
Therefore, the manufacturer can choose which technical solution to use to meet these essential requirements. However, if the manufacturer chooses not to follow the applicable technical standards, he has the obligation to demonstrate that his products are in conformity with essential requirements by the use of other means of his own choice that provide for the level of safety or protection of other interests required by the applicable legislation.

Justification for not using relevant technical standards (harmonized or not) must be part of Technical documentation. This justification must be made based on risk analysis and clinical evaluation and must provide sufficient level of objective evidences that relevant ER/GSPR are met.

If NB involvement is part of conformity assessment procedure, the justification must be approved by NB.
If the medical device is pure class I, it is up to manufacturer and only National Competent Authority can control this (and only in case of serious incident or as part of inspection).

Thanks for interesting discussion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R MDD x PPE Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
Q Partial non applicability of ISO 9001 Cl. 7.1.5 (not having services)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Clarification of Applicability of TS 16949 Requirements to a Non-Automotive Business IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
R MDD x Machine Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 16
A Applicability of AS9100 Standards to Non Aerospace Products AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A MDR Article 22 applicability - Legal manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
V Applicability of IEC 62366-1 usability to resorbable bone substitutes IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 9
E Commission Regulation (EU) No. 207/2012 E-IFU Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M ROHS : Applicability for AIMDs RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Applicability of Means of Protection, working voltage in an Automated External Defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Applicability of IEC 60950-1 Table K2 - Minimum clearances between circuits Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
R Applicability of ISO 14708-3 RF Transmitter and Implantable RF Receiver Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R Applicability of ISO 14708-3 - RF transmitter and implantable RF receiver Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Oxygen enriched environment applicability - Operating table used in general surgeries in hospital IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
E CB scheme applicability for battery powered medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
I IATF 16949 - 8.4.2.3 - Applicability to Shipping Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
S CQI-12 - Applicability to Raw Materials Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
C Applicability of ISO 9001:2015 Section 8.5 - Engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Applicability of EN 13795 for Incise Drape EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Applicability of the standard IEC 60601-2-18 to an arthroscopy pump IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M User Interface of Unknown Provenance (UOUP) applicability IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
E Applicability of Low Voltage Directive (LVD) for 12V equipment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Y Counterfeit Parts - AS9100 D Cl. 8.1.4 - Can I claim no applicability? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M IEC 62304 Applicability - GUI Control Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Richard Regalado Sharing a Statement of Applicability (SOA) for ISO/IEC 27001:2013 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
G Not quite old news: Statement of Applicability IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
G Question on Statement of Applicability (SOA) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
L TS 16949 applicability for Supplier's Supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R ISO 22000:2005 Clause 7.10.4 Withdrawal - Applicability and documentation required? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
A Applicability of electrical safety standards to a dedicated PC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
A Help me understand the applicability of 21 CFR Part 820.198 (Customer Complaints) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Y New Draft FDA Guidance for Applicability of GLP in Medical Device Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
G TS 16949 applicability for Bulk Material Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
Q Two AS9102 Applicability and Interpretation Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) applicability Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
E Applicability of Defibrillator Energy Test to Implantable Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S OEM Supplier of Accessories Registration and 21 CFR 820 QSR Controls Applicability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
P 7.1, 7.3 and APQP Requirements Applicability in Transfer Case IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A EN 60601-2-51 applicability to an ECG Event Recorder IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
K Applicability of ISO/TS 16949:2009 to Automotive Parts Manufacturers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A AS9100C Clause 7.5 Applicability for Design House AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Richard Regalado Definition SOA - Statement of Applicability Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
X Foreign Manufacturer Accreditation Certificate Applicability Japan Medical Device Regulations 8
S Applicability of REACH Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7