Application of Configuration Control for Service Laboratory

S

SMPfromSST

Hi,
My company provides custom assembly and test services for electronic components - no involvement in development, design, servicing, maintenance of products. The customer sends instructions for his component, we build it, ship it, get paid.

We are being required by several customers to upgrade from ISO 9001 to AS9100. I have a problem creating a configuration management program as everything I have read seems to point to manufacturer of specific product, not an assembly/test lab.

Any help would be appreciated.

SMP

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Application of configuration control for service lab

I would think that configuration management would only be applicable to manufacturers, but if you're assembling product I would think it WOULD be applicable to you.

Anyone with info in this situation?

B

byost - 2008

Configuration management can also be applied just to meet the AS requirements for product id and traceability and 'administrative direction over the life cycle of the product...' [ISO 10007-Quality managment systems - Guidelines for configuration management]. Perhaps what is required here is just a very simplified plan that incorporates all the config. mgt plans from your suppliers, your policies and perhaps a reaction plan? Link to your scope to define the limitations also?? where I work we do develop/design so I am not sure how helpful any sample documentation would be...

D

ddunn

The principles of Configuration Management can and should be applied to any type of business. This includes large development and manufacturing companies to service providers, pizza chains and funeral homes.

If you have customer requirements to satisfy (and who doesn’t) you need some form of configuration management. Configuration management does not have to be a big complex system that takes weeks or months to implement a change. Keep it simple.

I have attached a white paper from the Institute of Configuration Management that may provide some more insight. I am not advertising for CMII I just thought the paper gave some good basic CM principles.

Attachments

• CM_Paradigms.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Top Bottom