Application of IEC/EN 62304 at an advanced stage of software development

Hi ! I'm fairly new to the site and the world of standards in general, and I find myself with a lot of questions everyday.

Currently, the company I work for almost finished developing an embedded software, run by a platform also developed by the company. But it was only recently that it was established as a medical software.
In order to put our product on the market, we need to comply to the MDD directive and decided to apply the hamonized standards in order to. The thing is, the standard EN/IEC 62304 has a huge part about the development process of the software, and our software is almost complete. At the end of the day, if we establish every process and documents needed, can we say we comply to this standard?
The implementation of some certain software items haven't been tested (no test procedure) and for those that did go through tests, we haven't documented it.
So I was wondering if stating we're complying to 62304 was a "lie" since it wasn't taken into account since the beginning, or if regulatory authorities could invalid our CE marking because of it.

Sorry if some of my statements seem naive, as I said, I'm new to the field.
I might post more on this thread if any more questions pop up.

Thanks for helping ! Please feel free to ask for any complementary information if it helps answering my question. :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Certainly don't try to lie your way through things!

First, set up the necessary procedures (establish a documented software development life cycle) which describes the things you do do implement the standard.

Second, determine the software safety class (this has to be documented with rationale) then do a gap assessment against where you currently are -v- where you need to be.

Third, take the necessary actions to resolve the gaps. Yes, you will have to retrospectively document things. Yes you will have to gather test material that provides objective evidence that the software requirements have been met.

If time is short, you should consider engaging with a consultant that can facilitate a lot of this. The standard doesn't really introduce any new software engineering concepts but there are some subtleties that someone with experience can help you through.

glork98

Involved In Discussions
You'll need to create the processes and apply them to the code. That includes having documented processes and executing them on the existing product. It's not just the testing but the quality practices that are expected to be applied during product development. This would include doing hazard analysis and writing the requirements and design documents and reviewing them.

You're not "done" until all that is done. If you think it's a huge addition to the work then you're getting tuned in to what's ahead. Saying that you have processes but they came too late to use won't be acceptable.

The level of work is indicated by the risk the device poses to patients and users. Establish that first.

3dBUnderThe Limit

Starting to get Involved
IEC 62304 1.1 has a new section regarding Legacy software that has not been developed according to 62304, that could be a route to solve your problems. You will in the end need the processes required by 62304 for further development, but at least you will know what you need to do in the first stage to establish a baseline for continued work according to 62304.

Last edited:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't think I would recommend taking the legacy approach with software currently under development. For one, the optics are quite bad and doesn't demonstrate the manufacturer understood the requirements in the first place. For another, there's still a substantial chunk of work to do to backfill, even then. Might as well do it right.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P SOUP anomaly evaluation for MMA (Mobile Medical Application) IEC 62304 clause 7.1.3 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Application of IEC 60601.2.2:1999 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
C Application of IEC 62366 - Usability of Non-Active Medical Devices IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 15
Hershal PAC (Pacific Accreditation Cooperation) guidance on application of ISO/IEC 27000 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
L When IEC 60601-1 2nd edition can not be used for CE mark medical device application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Marc ISO/IEC 90003:2004 Software Engineering - Guidelines - Application of ISO 9001:2000 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
M FDA News FDA Releases Draft Guidance Clarifying Application of ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Standard Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
U GMDN CODES application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Monolithic application and medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R CAMBODIA - Application of AMDD Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
J Are DAM tools, Mobile application, clinical dashboard, etc. considered accessories to medical device or supportive functions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Application of mains voltage on SIP/SOP connectors of medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational TGA presentation: How to submit an effective good manufacturing practice clearance application Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational EU – Application of transitional provisions concerning validity of certificates issued in accordance to Directives 90/385/EEC and 93/42/EEC Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
D FDA Biomarker Qualification Program - Has anyone prepared an application? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Validating my own application developed with Agile Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO 18091 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 in local government Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
M Informational MDCG 2019-2 Guidance on application of UDI rules to device-part of products referred to in Article 1(8), 1(9) and 1(10) of Regulation 745/2017 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
M Medical Device News NB-Med and Team-NB have jointly edited a white paper entitled “White Paper – One Year of Application” Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
supadrai Informational Japan Minor Change Notification Application Form - Found it? Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
M Some possible misunderstandings on the application of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
K Need feedback: FMEA Web Application FMEA and Control Plans 5
I FAR Part 43 and Application to 17025 Accredited Cal Lab Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
B Request for Information; Application for Accreditation Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
M What is considered an "Audit Day" for OASIS AEA application? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Ajit Basrur CDRH Premarket Approval Application Critical to Quality Pilot Program US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Sidney Vianna Blockchain Technology - Any examples of practical application? The Reading Room 21
V Delete Restrictions to be enabled AT BOTH Operating System & Application Levels Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Is it legal to attend a trade show while you have a 510(k) application pending? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Zinc Oxide as a Topical Application EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Application of ISO 9001:2015 Clause Interpretations for Service Industries Service Industry Specific Topics 2
A IRCA Application Form Fill - Guidance ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 22
V Application and differences of OC Curve and Acceptance Sampling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Employment Application Form - Controlled or Not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
JoCam Format of Health Canada pre-market licence application Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/TS 9002 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J The application of Design Controls to IVDs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Flow meter for medical device application Other Medical Device Related Standards 2