Applied Parts Classification Clarification - Breast Pump

neash83

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I am looking for some guidance with regards to applied parts classification.

I have an electric breast pump device that very broadly consists of a mains adaptor, pump unit and breast pump horn (this is in contact with the patient and is connected to the pump via a tube).

Am I correct in assuming the breast pump horn would be an applied part? If so would this be a B or BF classification (I am leaning towards BF)?

Secondly would the breast pump unit be classed as an applied part? This has buttons for switching the device on and changing pump speed.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

3dBUnderThe Limit

Starting to get Involved
My short answer would be: BF and class II power supply to avoid fixed installation for home use. This is under the assumption that this is a ME equipment.

A part of the base unit would need to be part of the BF barrier, but that is only a guess and would depend on the implementation of the pump system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Classification of Applied Parts - Blood Measurement Sensors IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Do you classify applied parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Defib-proof applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B F-type applied part - Separation from ALL(?) other parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
H Defib Protected Applied Parts: 4mm clearance/creepage? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
L No entanglement hazard of applied parts cables? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Internally powered ME with non-conductive applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Requirements for primary battery powered ME with BF-applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
E What does "other APPLIED PARTS" mean in IEC 60601-1 ed 3.0 8.7.4.7 b) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Is insulation between F type applied part and other parts a must? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
L The definition of B, BF (Body Floated) and CF - BF applied to parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W Patient Circuits / Patient Connection / Applied Parts - Medical Device Definitions IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
T Part 880.5100 AC-powered adjustable Hospital Bed - Applied Parts Marking or Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Manufacturing of Molding and Spare Parts - Is design clause 7.3 applied ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
T Multiple Applied Parts - Cardiac Floating (CF), Body Floating (BF) Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Single Fault Condition IEC 60601 Clause 8.7.1 shorting Cr/Cl in Patient Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
B ISO 14971 Applied to Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M 2xMOPP insulation for Applied Part B. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A Technical File - Updating Applied Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J ISO 14971 applied to ISO 13485? Low risk class 1 devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Overvoltages consideration in Applied Part for RMS Calculation. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
G ISO 9001 8.4 applied to 7.1.3 - Suppliers of infrastructure requirements - IT and Print solutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
K F-TYPE APPLIED PART IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
J ISO 9001 8.4.1 - Determining controls applied to externally provided processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T IEC60601-1: Isolation for an applied part with working voltage of 1500Vp. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
L PC in patient environment - BF applied part that uses USB to connect to PC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
E Are EEG electrodes considered as one applied part? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Number of MOPP for Type BF Applied Part (Medical Device Electronics) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A EFQM applied on the ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
K Can a Surface of a profile be applied to a feature of size? GD&T questions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Oxygen mask and nebilzer mask Applied standards EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Identifying Medical Device Class and Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
T Electrical Surgical Tool with Big Metal Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
kedarg6500 How much test force to be applied for Vickers hardness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Is protective earth connection regarded as a part of the applied part? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Definition of ME Equipment/Applied part according to IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
F Reason a plane would have a runout applied and not a flatness callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
optomist1 Feature Control Frame is applied to the end of a Cylinder - Datum Dilemma Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
W Insulation requirements between F-type applied part and enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Lean Management applied to Rework Zones Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
P Internet Medical Device Distribution applied to Internet/Catalog Shops Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
optomist1 Digging Datums - Feature control frame (FCF) applied to a pipe I.D. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R Does applied part of battery powered TENS unit need to be designed as type BF? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
R Defining the type of Applied Part - Metal Probe (Applied Part) employs Water Cooling IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S ISO 9001: Applied to Research and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10