Apply control limits to a non-normal distribution

Hello

I have a process parameter that is controlled this way:

If the equipment signal response is below a certain level, we know for sure that the result will be lower than 10% and thus reported as <10.

However, if a signal response is a little bit higher, then I have to actually quantify the value. In this cases, I usually get results around 5-6, which are still below the 10.

My data distbitution is something like this:

Sample size - 126
Analysis result | Number of events | Cumulative Count | Cumulative %
<10 | 97 | 97 | 77%
5 | 16 | 113 | 90%
6 | 9 | 122 | 97%
7 | 3 | 125 | 99%
8 | 1 | 126 | 100%

What would be the best distribution to fit this data? Exponential? Weibull? Gamma?

The purpose is to define an upper control limit, as the ones used for normal distributions in SixSigma (average+3sigma). How should I proceed in this case?

Thanks in advance for your support

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Yes, but since it isn't a normal distribution, how should I define my control limit?

My data has a significant positive skew (77% of the occurrances are below the equipment signal response threshold), so I don't think that simply apply average+3 sigma as a control limit would be correct in this case.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Are you creating a control chart or looking for the upper limit of the distribution? These are different tasks and require different approaches.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello
What would be the best distribution to fit this data? Exponential? Weibull? Gamma?

The purpose is to define an upper control limit, as the ones used for normal distributions in SixSigma (average+3sigma). How should I proceed in this case?

Thanks in advance for your support
It is a common misconception in Six Sigma that SPC only works on Normal Distributions. The original work by Dr. Shewhart in the 1930's, and as more recently published by Dr. Don Wheeler provides proofs that SPC is distribution free. So don't worry so much about the distribution of the data, plot the dots and evaluate using X-moving range or Xbar-R.

Hey guys, thank you for the discussion and help so far.

I tried to keep my doubt simple (I am not good at that) and I probably omitted some important information.

This parameter is always analyzed first against reference Standard A. If the response signal is lower than 5% of that reference, then the value must be automatically disregarded, and the parameter should be reported as “<10” (specification limit of this parameter) – end of analysis.

However, if the response signal is greater than 5% of Standard A, then it must actually be quantified. This quantification requires the use of Standard B as a reference. This consists of a different compound from that of Standard A and it is not simply a different concentration of the same Standard.

This procedure is established by guidelines and is not an in-house method, so there is no option of doing things differently, even if they sound kind of weird.

(@supadrai) Does your signal response (assuming it is any value below "5") due to reaching the detection limit?
There is always signal above noise level, so it is above the detection limit. I guess it can be considered that a signal response of 5% of Standard A reference to be the quantification limit of the method.

However, there is no clear relationship between this and a quantified value using Standard B. In other words, it is not clear what would exactly be the result quantified using Standard B as reference, if the signal response of the sample was exactly 5% of the Standard A. For example, this year the lowest value quantified was “5”, but last year a had some samples with this parameter quantified as “4” and I could even find a “3” in older data.

(@Bev D) Are you creating a control chart or looking for the upper limit of the distribution?
Kind of both. The main objective is to determine the upper control limit for this parameter, based on the recorded values, and evaluate the process capability. I have the control chart, still lacking average and control limits:

Control Chart.png

I know that the green dots are actually higher than “0”, since they signal response is always above noise level. They should be also lower than “5”, since I have several samples that needed to be quantified using Standard B as reference and gave that value. However, I also have records of “4” and even one “3” in previous years.

As a result, I know that the average would lie somewhere in between 0 and 5, but I am not sure where. I should I calculate the average in this case? Is it even correct to do so, since two distinct reference standards are used?

And how about the control limit? Is average+3sigma still applicable since my data is positively shifted?

Thanks for your help,

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
try an I, MR chart and exclude the values that are below 5% to standard A. treat these as null values not zeroes.

@Nuno Sardo - So you have no way to determine the values represented by <10, yet you know they are without exception, non-zero values and <5.

Would it be reasonable to assume that if you had the rest of the 97 data points, it they would be normally distributed about some mean? I keep looking at what appears to be some nice tail data and it would be a shame not to put that to use.

EDIT: I guess there's a name for what I am thinking and a regression for modeling it. Left censored data. Tobit regression. Section 3.3 of the attached seems to be what I'm thinking. But far far out of my depth now. :)

EDIT: and thanks to the kind folks at /r/askstatistics - a nice corner of reddit

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Does Record Control apply to the company business processes as well? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
R XBar & R Chart Spreadsheet to apply a Control Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E Legacy Forms - Should Change Control apply to legacy forms? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L How to apply the clause "control of non-conforming product" on services company ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K How to apply QC (Quality Control) in Failure Analysis Laboratory? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Document Control Database - To what extent do document control requirements apply? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
B Operator protection - When to apply table 7, Dielectric strength test voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Do HIPAA Rules Apply to a 3rd Party Logistics Shipper? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Does ITAR apply to Exporters only? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
E Does CQI-23 (Molding Sys. Asses.) apply to RUBBER molding? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Informational From RAPS – UK NB Will Not Apply for EU MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B How to assess which directives and standards apply - Brewing and distilling products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
F Device Standards - Managing Changes to existing standards that apply to our devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F What directives/regulations apply to Analyte Specific Reagents (ASRs) in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F Can an individual apply for an MDEL in Canada, as an establishment? Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
M IATF Clause 8.4.2.2 - What procedures does this apply to? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Optical coherence tomography (OCT) device - Do we need to apply IDE? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R Communication of CSR's throughout the organization and who they apply to IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Apply for a job when no opening is posted? Career and Occupation Discussions 64
M AS9100 D - How to apply 8.1.1-8.1.4 to a coating service AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
C Optic Patchcord Cables - Does 8.3 (Design) Apply Here? ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Does the Scope of 21 CFR Part 820.72 (Equipment) apply to Design? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Does IATF 16949:2016 Clause 7.3 (now 8.3) Apply to "Grandfathered" Products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Moncia Tall Manufacturer - VDA Audit - Which parts of the audit apply to us? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q How to apply 21 CFR Part 11 and/or cGMP in the Life Sciences industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
V When and How to apply the Bayes Success Run approach for Sample Size Determination Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A 3 scenarios of accident and I want to apply OHSAS18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
I ISO 26262 standard may apply to automotive IC suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
GStough Looking to Apply for IRCA Certification Using 2nd Party Audits Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M Does AS9120 (aerospace first article inspection) apply to all customers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
J If/how to apply LVD (Low Voltage Directive) in this case CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
A How soon can I apply for ISO 9001:2015 certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Who needs to apply for a CLIA waiver 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P When can we apply DOE (Design of Experiments)? Six Sigma 8
L AS9100 7.5.2 Special Processes - Clean Room Apply? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
M Not sure what standards apply to non-electrical patient bed EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Shall I apply for this job position (Quality Manager)? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
V Can we apply bracketing & matrixing simultaneously for stability studies @ ICH Q1D US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
N Which regulations apply to Medical Stand Alone Software in Europe? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W Where to apply a Class I Medical Device Barcode in Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
A When to apply Markov Chain Analysis over Weibull Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2