SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Appraiser Out of Control

Hello,
I'm fairly new to this Gage R&R and we used a sheet that we found online. However, the sheet is telling me that we have an appraiser "Out of Control" when they are making very accurate and precise measurements. Based on the math, it looks like if each appraiser had a wider range (instead of being exact or having a smaller range of 3 separate measurements), then there would be no appraisers out of control. I can't wrap my head around the concept that if all the appraisers had less precise measurements, then the appraiser would NOT be out of control. Is this true? Thanks,
Terry
1621982104821.png

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Terry.

That's the R&R we use!

It's saying Appraiser C is out of control because everyone else and every other measurement has no variance. So since Appraiser C has found slight variance in one measurement they need to be beaten over the head with a blunt object, sent back to metrology school and be judged on their incompetence. Perhaps a written warning is needed. First in line for downsizing when business slows down. It's quite logical really and very handy when the formulas do the thinking for you.

On a serious note, that is why they are judged "out of control". A fix would be to get a sample of parts which reflect the total expected variation (start up, mid run, shut off, tool wear, etc etc) but perhaps even that would not be enough depending on your process and run the R&R again. Another would be that your measurement tool is not sensitive enough and in the eyes of the R&R and perhaps your customer it is unacceptable; so budget and common sense permitting you could retry the R&R using a CMM. But, looking at your data and assuming this is the expected variation of the process and assuming you are using the measurement tool not for SPC purposes, why would you? Getting more resolution would not be of interest to you, the observed variation is tiny and all appraisers are in agreement that part 7 is a little smaller than the rest.

I'm not a fan of R&R's as they either suggest that the appraisers or the measurement system needs a blunt object combined with gravity but I must due to automotive requirements. I tend to do an R&R and plug that data into Wheelers Honest Gauge Study and use that to supplement thinking and decision making. This thread may be of interest to you.

Best of luck.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Your study has 10 parts, 3 Operators with each part measured 3 times, this makes 90 measurements which are organised in sets of 3 repeated measurements per operator per part. The R (Range) referred to in rows 5, 10 and 15 indicates how well the measurement process repeats for the constituent part against the operator.

All your Ranges are 0 except for part 7 where Operator C has an apparent observation which differs from not only theirs but everyone else. The reason that the sheet flags up that appraiser is that it thinks that there is effectively no variation in the process therefore its set an upper range control limit to 0.

What you have to ask yourself is whether you believe that a 0-150 mm calliper (presumably digital) can repeat at that level for over 89 observations over 3 operators. The resolution of such instruments is usually around 0.010 mm so anything from 0 - 0.010 mm is in the noise.

The variation shown for part 7 and operator 3 is consistent with the resolution. Based on my experience using these instruments, measuring standard features and a 10 x 3 x 3 study I would expect the UCLR in row 19 to be around 0.026 mm ( 0.01 x D4 (2.574) thus comfortably enveloping a working resolution of around 0.01 or even 0.02 mm for this instrument.

Hope this helps

Johnny, Welshwizard, thanks for your replies. Makes me feel better that the result is... the result.
Amit - No, I did not. The measurements were performed by our supplier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Gage R & R - How to enter appraiser results into an Excel .xls spread sheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
R How Can I compare measurements of different appraiser for a same product Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
P Gage Repeatability (1x1x10) form - 1 part measured 10 times by 1 appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
M Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Study with one appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Who is REQUIRED to be an appraiser in MSA? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
D GAMP CAT 5 Change Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Maintenence related action in Control plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Control Methods in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
S TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) PIP 3:1 RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
S Use of Attributes Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Z Software for design control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Quality Control/Assurance in the Metal Industry Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
J Warehouse temperature and humidity control EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Jimmy123 IATF16949 Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C UDI Questions on Control Units Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Control Datasheets Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Control-self assessment Internal Auditing 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
A Prototype control plan FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
G Control Plan & PFMEA Review Procedure? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N What are the software audit and control steps Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
M ISO14971:2019 - Verification of implementation and effectiveness of risk control ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
T Risks arising from control measures vs. ineffective control measures ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
J Need Change Control Yes/No Decision Tree Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P IQ, OQ, PQ protocol, and report templates for Distributed Control Systems in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Systems. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R Risk control measures as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
T Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 3
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5