Approval of CSR Waiver Requests

Bran

Involved In Discussions
I've had some success with having a customers' SQE or STA provide documentation of agreement to various CSR waiver requests. In every audit I've been a part of, providing evidence of customer SQE or STA agreement of the waiver has been sufficient for the auditor to move on. Most of the time these waivers are because of a CSR revision the customer made, and are not part of any formal commercial agreement between our companies.

A colleague of mine has had a different experience - a past auditor claimed that the SQE or STA is not able to waive CSR requirements on behalf of their organization, and that having a waiver signed by one of these individuals means nothing. The auditor didn't provide any further guidance, but my guess is they would only consider a CSR waiver valid if it was part of a higher level commercial agreement, and not between 2 quality people at each organization.

From this, 2 questions:
  • What's your opinion or experience on CSR waiver requests and how they hold up during audits? Success or failure stories?
  • Is there any formal guidance provided anywhere on CSR waivers, specifically around who is authorized to approve them or guidance provided to auditors when encountering CSR waivers?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Who is the auditor to declare who has the authority to waive requirements. I’d tell him to pound sand.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Tier 2 has no authority to unilaterally waive tier-1 requirements.
Who said anything about Tier 1 or Tier 2?

OP said his supplier rep at his customer waived their requirements. I think that is perfectly valid unless shown otherwise.

Assuming OP is the Tier 2 supplier and the Customer is Tier 1, the Tier 1 customer waived their requirements. What's the problem?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Who said anything about Tier 1 or Tier 2?

OP said his supplier rep at his customer waived their requirements. I think that is perfectly valid unless shown otherwise.

Assuming OP is the Tier 2 supplier and the Customer is Tier 1, the Tier 1 customer waived their requirements. What's the problem?
If the customer is tier 1, there's no problem, but there's nothing here to indicate that.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
In my opinion, if I ask my customer for a waiver for a CSR (and I have), and they send me one, then that has been waived. I have a couple of these cases. The CSR's and waivers have been viewed by at least 4 third party auditors and deemed good enough.

Top Bottom