Approval process for modifications to a medical device with a CE Mark

P

porscheuberalles

I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for in the MDD so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. What is the approval process for modifications to a device with a CE mark? Are there criteria for changes that require a new approval vs changes that don't require new approval?
Also, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Notified Body; preferably one with sensible feedback times.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: modifications to a device with the CE mark

What class is the subject device?

There is no supervision of changes to a Class I device, unless you are located outside EU and for some circumstantial reason your EU Rep becomes involved in the process. Class I-s devices are supervised only in regard to sterilization and sterile barrier packaging.

Class IIa, IIb and III devices of course have increasing amounts of NB interaction and pre-approval.

P

porscheuberalles

Re: modifications to a device with the CE mark

Thanks for the reply. It's a class IIa device. Do all changes require all documentation being sent to the NB? Is it the same process as the initial approval or is there another process for modifications to an existing device?

The decision to report design changes and changes to the quality system relies upon the determination of whether the change was a "significant change" or not. Health Canada has a document "Guidance for Interpretation of Significant Change of a Medical Device" with decision-making flowcharts that can assist in this decision. The document is located at:

hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/md-im/applic-demande/guide-ld/signchng_modimportante-eng.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S FDA approval process for medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
H Informational What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? APQP and PPAP 26
J Differences between a Risk Management Plan vs. Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Supplier Approval Process – Should the Quality Department be Excluded? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
M Compliance with IATF 16949 Clause 8.3.4.4 Product Approval Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K FAI (First Article Inspection) vs PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 15
S US FDA PMA (Pre-Market Approval) Process Flow Chart Example Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
V Overview of the Medical Device Approval Process in Major Markets Worldwide Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I Electronic vs. Paper Copy Document Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Requirements for Annual Revalidations APQP and PPAP 1
T ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process (Supplier Approval) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V Supplier?s PPAP - Production Process Control Plan Review, Evaluation and Approval? FMEA and Control Plans 5
C AS9100 C Clause 8.3 - Personnel Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
X FDA Approval Process - Simple Explanation requested US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L Approval Process for Approbation of Alternates in the Electronics Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C FDA Approval Process for Device that can also be used for Veterinary Purpose 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
T Document Approval Process for Company Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
A One of APQP Process Steps - OTS (Off Tool Sample) Approval APQP and PPAP 1
S Design Change Drawing Reviews and Customer Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) files for Ford APQP and PPAP 11
A Use of Electrical Safety Standards in 510(k) approval process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Taiwan Medical Device Product Approval Process using a Subcontractor Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
V Medical Device Regulatory Approval Process Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
D Inspection for Process Approval - How many batches I should test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Part & Process Approval in Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
S Incoming Goods Process Flowchart for Inspection - Rejection / Approval example Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
M Moving from physical signatures to a paperless QMS - Process and approval sign offs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
P New Tooling Approval Process Acceptance Procedure - Injection Molding - Thermoforming Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L What are the major risks for Product Approval Process? APQP and PPAP 3
Q 7.3.6.3 Product Approval Process - Raw materials and sub-contactors or all suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Why submit it and/with PSW APQP and PPAP 2
Q Procedure Revision Control/Approval Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Help for beginner - PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 9
V Control of Non Conforming Product procedure explaining the process for approval Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
R Is Kappa Study Required during PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Change Control Form - Approval process for cross departmental communication ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) Presentation in ppt. format APQP and PPAP 3
F Who should Sign Supplier PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) documents? APQP and PPAP 13
H Who can require PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? APQP and PPAP 7
J Process Validation needed with IDE Approval? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
S Tell Me All About PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 7
J Class III Medical Device with CE Mark Approval - India Registration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
errhine Paperless office software - Electronicly sign process documentation with FAA approval Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
A Is Top Management Approval Process under Management Commitment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Source Control Drawing vs. Part Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S How to Evaluate the Effectiveness of a Work Instruction during the Approval Process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
A Process involve with getting an automotive approval IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
C Control of Documents - Our approval process is kinda long Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Tool Approval Process - Should we be using Cmk for tool validation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2