Approved Supplier List and Subcontractor Development

J

JSmith

I have two questions regarding subcontractors:

1. Do subcontrators supplying prototype materials / product need to be listed on our approved supplier list?

2. Do these subcontractors that supply prototype materials / product fall under the sanctioned interpretations: Purchasing
C9 - Supplier Development (4.6.2.1)"goal of subcontractor compliance" requires subcontractors to achieve compliance within a defined period not to exceed 18 months from the effective date of this sanctioned interpretation.

I am aware that the definition of subcontractor in the Glossary is of one providing production materials, or production or service parts.

Could this be considered an "out" for my subcontractor?

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
Please define "prototype materials/product". Are these materials used in any product you manufacture? Are these prototypes of items you may be intending to purchase?

Just from what you have stated I think these vendors do have to be on the approved vendors list.

James

------------------
Low tech is better than no tech.

J

JSmith

This particular subcontractor machines some of the components that make up our prototype parts. They do not supply us with any production materials or products used in production. I hope this clarifies.

T

tim banic

They are performing service for you, so I would say yes they need to be on the list.

tim

"if it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened"

L

Linda Jurasin

We are QS9000 w T/E certified company, regarding the interpretations dated 7/1/01, if some of our subcontractors are distributors, (the products they distribute are manufactured by ISO certified companies) do the distributors need to be ISO certified within the next 18 months? Also since we are T/E, do our subcontractors need to be ISO within the next 18 months or can we continue developing the subcontractors as we were doing in the past?

T

tomvehoski

Originally posted by Linda Jurasin:
We are QS9000 w T/E certified company, regarding the interpretations dated 7/1/01, if some of our subcontractors are distributors, (the products they distribute are manufactured by ISO certified companies) do the distributors need to be ISO certified within the next 18 months? Also since we are T/E, do our subcontractors need to be ISO within the next 18 months or can we continue developing the subcontractors as we were doing in the past?
To answer your second question first, you will have to comply with the 18 month rule - the interpretations apply to QS and QS/TE requirements.

I would also lean towards saying that you will have to have distributors ISO certified. Even though the product may be made by an ISO company, the distributor is still affecting the quality (delivery, undamaged, correct parts, etc.). Even if the manufacturer has the best quality system in the world and has never made a bad part, it does you no good if the distributor sends you a box of broken parts three weeks late.

Tom

M

monkey

So what's everyone's opinion of this change?
Do they really expect all the little companies to not say "bite me"? This is going to raise the cost parts, which the automotive companies will end up paying for.
Do you all think that things might change for the better over the next 18 months, especially with everybody screaming about this? Any input is appreciated.

M

matthew evans - 2002

santioned interpretation

It sounds like we are all in the same boat. We have a number of small one-man compamy's that we contract design hours too. I doubt weather they will go the expense of gaining accreditation to ISO 9001:2000. The problem being that we rely on them at times if we get busy.

What is the answer?

J
Second Party

“Goal of subcontractor compliance” requires subcontractors to achieve compliance within a defined period of time not to exceed 18 months from the effective date of this sanctioned interpretation. Minimum subcontractor compliance shall be certification by an accredited certification body to a current version of the ISO 9000 Quality Management Series of Standards, excluding ISO 9003; plus any requirements specified by the customer. Assessment by an OEM or an OEM approved second party will be recognized as meeting subcontractor compliance requirements to 4.6.2.1.

I look at the last sentence as the "out" Obviously the OEM can't register someone, so if I am approved by the OEM as a supplier, and registered QS-9000, shouldn't the OEM let me audit the small fry?

James
:D :D :D

D

D.Scott

I am sure you have all seen by now the latest letter from Ford stating that ALL their tier 1 suppliers are authouized to approve their subcontractors under this clause in the requirement.

The way the IASG interpretation is worded, the approval by any one of these suppliers would satisfy the requirement regardless if the subcontractor supplied Ford or not (the only requirement is approval by any OEM or approved 2nd party).

This appears on the surface to open the gates. If QS requirements say the 2nd party approval meets the requirement, why would I need to be certified? All I need is a 2nd party approval. I could bring in an independent auditor to verify my compliance (for my own knowledge), let the OEM approve us and save a huge amount of money.

Obviously, if one of those tier 1 suppliers insists you are certified to QS-9000, you are stuck, but at least you can now consider the customer and not the entire automotive industry.

The economy is demanding a lot of cuts and registration is one that is waving a red flag. Once our system was in place, we found the continued involvement of the registrar added nothing but expense to the process. Nit-picking, off the wall interpretations, and wasted audit days have been the norm.

Our auditor's opening statement is the same every time. "This is not a pass/fail exercise - You will pass". Then we go through some flippant remark about "how slow the auto industry is, but his business is picking up". "With the latest IASG ruling we are going to be real busy".

Needless to say, management here is very interested in freeing up his schedule so he can accomodate all that new business.

Insight from others on this latest development would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
gunnyshore Benchmarking: Approved Supplier List for Multiple Sites Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Do HR consultants need to be on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Is a separate spreadsheet required for the ASL (Approved Supplier List)? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S AS9100 Approved Supplier List (ASL) Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
T Do I need to approve my Registrar and include them in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
S Trading Company - Evaluating Supplier Performance and Approved Supplier List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
pammesue Requirements for an Approved Supplier List? No new suppliers in years ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 37
T AVL (Approved Vendor List) Supplier Listing - ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
L Approved Supplier List - Customer Approved Suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
GStough Approved Supplier List (ASL): Document or Record? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 29
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) List contain Vendor Evaluation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Approved Supplier List - Required to evaluate every supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M Approved Supplier List ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
I Approved Supplier List - R & D, Capital Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Which Fringe Suppliers to Include in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Z Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Approved Supplier List for Transportation (Trucking) and other Services IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
ScottK ISO9001 Approved Supplier List format question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
R Approved Supplier List vs. Auctions - One-Time Equipment Buys ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Grandfathering suppliers to approved supplier list - Have to send out surveys? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
Q Approved Supplier List - Control in the same way forms and procedures are? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Approved Vendor (Supplier) List Issues - Class II medical device maker Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Our Approved Vendor / Supplier list contains EVERY supplier we currently have Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
Jane's Should the facility landlord be an approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
P Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
T Do Machine Service Contractors Need to be an Approved Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Approved Supplier Control Requirements for Outsourced Special Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
P Approved Suppliers - ISO 13485 Normal Supplier Qualification Process Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Do Freight Carriers or Transportation Companies need to be an Approved Supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
D Approved Condom-Benzocaine Supplier name - Need Help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D What document do you give to your supplier after approved parts? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
C Approved Supplier? When supplier is no longer in business. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
B What happens if we evaluate supplier as not approved and there are no anothers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
V How to become approved supplier by Sikorsky Helicopter? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) if Customer Pays Sub-tier Shipping Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D How can a vendor (supplier) with no third party certification be approved? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Do I have to qualify my approved vendor (supplier) status? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
H Approved Supplier Listing - One time purchase? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
C Approved supplier/vendor - How do I approve my Registrar? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
P Seeking: Approved Supplier (Vendor) Log Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 35
M I have two Approved Supplier Lists - Hard Copy vs. Electronic Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
G Definition KEY Supplier - QS-9000 Approved Suppliers - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2