SBS - The best value in QMS software

Approved supplier list - Distributors question

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Hi Folks,

I have a question regarding the approved supplier list we maintain. Currently we purchase from a supplier that is a distributor for many products that come from different companies. Do we need to maintain the supplier we directly purchase from (yes), as well as the supplier that our direct supplier purchases from since the products are labeled with the indirect suppliers name?

Any help would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Involved In Discussions
Who do you control? Do you really want to control and track the sub tiers suppliers within your QMS? If so, you are defeating the power of using a distributor.

Watch outs. Often, especially in the electronics world, Designs are specific to a component from a specific supplier. That's OK. You can get that specific component XYZ123 made by the semiconductor company from a distributor you control in your supplier management program. HTH. Have fun. Enjoy the ride.

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the feedback, We do control the distributor and maintain them on or ASL, we do not control who they purchase from.

William55401

Involved In Discussions
Your 14971 risk management program, when extended down to discrete purchased components through the identification of Essential Design Outputs on the specifications, should tell your org what are the critical features on purchased components. If there are no critical features on the components you get from the distributor, you should be OK. If you are buying critical items from the distributor, you will need to account for this in your specifications and incoming verifications as appropriate. Everyone has a story about a simple <inert component name> sourced from a distributor that resulted in <insert cost of poor quality fun> . Ensure the supplier portion of your QMS accounts for potential critical feature control from distributor sourced components.

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Very good information, very well put. I don't think I detailed the critical portion this far in our SOP. We do have incoming inspection on all products but it seems like this needs to be tightened up further.

William55401

Involved In Discussions
Last comment. Getting your design team on board with Critical Feature ID is a best practice and will make your SM program very focussed (read as risk based and easier to implement 13485:2016 requirements in other QMS elements).

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Very good information, very well put. I don't think I detailed the critical portion this far in our SOP. We do have incoming inspection on all products but it seems like this needs to be tightened up further.
You might also want to track if the distributor is an authorized distributor for the component(s) you are buying, to provide some assurance that the product is not greymarket.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
gunnyshore Benchmarking: Approved Supplier List for Multiple Sites Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Do HR consultants need to be on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Is a separate spreadsheet required for the ASL (Approved Supplier List)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S AS9100 Approved Supplier List (ASL) Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Do I need to approve my Registrar and include them in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
S Trading Company - Evaluating Supplier Performance and Approved Supplier List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
P Requirements for an Approved Supplier List? No new suppliers in years ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
T AVL (Approved Vendor List) Supplier Listing - ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
L Approved Supplier List - Customer Approved Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
GStough Approved Supplier List (ASL): Document or Record? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 29
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) List contain Vendor Evaluation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Approved Supplier List - Required to evaluate every supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M Approved Supplier List ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
I Approved Supplier List - R & D, Capital Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Which Fringe Suppliers to Include in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Z Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Approved Supplier List for Transportation (Trucking) and other Services IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
ScottK ISO9001 Approved Supplier List format question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
R Approved Supplier List vs. Auctions - One-Time Equipment Buys ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Grandfathering suppliers to approved supplier list - Have to send out surveys? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
Q Approved Supplier List - Control in the same way forms and procedures are? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Approved Vendor (Supplier) List Issues - Class II medical device maker Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Our Approved Vendor / Supplier list contains EVERY supplier we currently have Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
J Approved Supplier List and Subcontractor Development Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
Jane's Should the facility landlord be an approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
P Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Do Machine Service Contractors Need to be an Approved Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Approved Supplier Control Requirements for Outsourced Special Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
P Approved Suppliers - ISO 13485 Normal Supplier Qualification Process Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Do Freight Carriers or Transportation Companies need to be an Approved Supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
D Approved Condom-Benzocaine Supplier name - Need Help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D What document do you give to your supplier after approved parts? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
C Approved Supplier? When supplier is no longer in business. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
B What happens if we evaluate supplier as not approved and there are no anothers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
V How to become approved supplier by Sikorsky Helicopter? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) if Customer Pays Sub-tier Shipping Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D How can a vendor (supplier) with no third party certification be approved? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Do I have to qualify my approved vendor (supplier) status? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
H Approved Supplier Listing - One time purchase? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
C Approved supplier/vendor - How do I approve my Registrar? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17