Approved supplier list for R&D

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Do suppliers used for R&D purposes where a process has not been locked down need to appear on the approved supplier list, and when the process is locked, is this when the supplier should be added.

I am trying not to hold up the R&D process while waiting to approve a supplier that may not be used again.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Up to you, I think, but be careful.
You want to avoid the situation where you have a (tested) prototype, but can't approve suppliers of the parts that went into it.
...and it goes without saying that suppliers should all be approved prior to any design transfer to production. ;)

For ourselves, in early stages of development we allow for unapproved supplier sourcing (samples, etc.). ...but as development transitions to formal prototype development stage, we start to control the suppliers.

Seekingknowledgee

Starting to get Involved
I used to be a part of the of the team to add suppliers into our approved supplier list in Massachusetts. The way we used to do it was, we would have to add the suppliers in our approved supplier list before we get any product from them even for R&D purposes.

One time we got the raw materials from the supplier without having them in our approved supplier list. after two months when we were trying to have them in our ASL, they failed the audit and we could not get any product from them. Luckily we didn't have a problem with that since there was another company that we were getting raw materials from as well and that company was in our ASL.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
...and the R&D folks wonder why I make them throw away the 20+ year old stuff they have on the shelf...
When I saw the first $200K project try to launch on a supplier that had gone out of business 14 years earlier, it hit the fan.

R&D suppliers do not have to be approved, but it greatly behooves you to check whether they are "certifiable" in a good way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
gunnyshore Benchmarking: Approved Supplier List for Multiple Sites Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Do HR consultants need to be on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Is a separate spreadsheet required for the ASL (Approved Supplier List)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S AS9100 Approved Supplier List (ASL) Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Do I need to approve my Registrar and include them in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
S Trading Company - Evaluating Supplier Performance and Approved Supplier List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
pammesue Requirements for an Approved Supplier List? No new suppliers in years ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
T AVL (Approved Vendor List) Supplier Listing - ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
L Approved Supplier List - Customer Approved Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
GStough Approved Supplier List (ASL): Document or Record? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 29
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) List contain Vendor Evaluation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Approved Supplier List - Required to evaluate every supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M Approved Supplier List ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
I Approved Supplier List - R & D, Capital Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Which Fringe Suppliers to Include in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Z Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Approved Supplier List for Transportation (Trucking) and other Services IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
ScottK ISO9001 Approved Supplier List format question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
R Approved Supplier List vs. Auctions - One-Time Equipment Buys ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Grandfathering suppliers to approved supplier list - Have to send out surveys? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
Q Approved Supplier List - Control in the same way forms and procedures are? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
D Approved Vendor (Supplier) List Issues - Class II medical device maker Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Our Approved Vendor / Supplier list contains EVERY supplier we currently have Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
J Approved Supplier List and Subcontractor Development Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
Jane's Should the facility landlord be an approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
P Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Do Machine Service Contractors Need to be an Approved Supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Approved Supplier Control Requirements for Outsourced Special Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
P Approved Suppliers - ISO 13485 Normal Supplier Qualification Process Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Do Freight Carriers or Transportation Companies need to be an Approved Supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
D Approved Condom-Benzocaine Supplier name - Need Help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D What document do you give to your supplier after approved parts? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
C Approved Supplier? When supplier is no longer in business. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
B What happens if we evaluate supplier as not approved and there are no anothers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
V How to become approved supplier by Sikorsky Helicopter? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) if Customer Pays Sub-tier Shipping Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D How can a vendor (supplier) with no third party certification be approved? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Do I have to qualify my approved vendor (supplier) status? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
H Approved Supplier Listing - One time purchase? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
C Approved supplier/vendor - How do I approve my Registrar? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
P Seeking: Approved Supplier (Vendor) Log Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 35
M I have two Approved Supplier Lists - Hard Copy vs. Electronic Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7