Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment

itsbiodiversity

Involved In Discussions
Question that I have been mulling:

From the standard:
6.6.1 The laboratory shall ensure that only suitable externally provided products and services that affect laboratory activities are used, when such products and services:
a) are intended for incorporation into the laboratory’s own activities;
b) are provided, in part or in full, directly to the customer by the laboratory, as received from the external provider;
c) are used to support the operation of the laboratory.
NOTE Products can include, for example, measurement standards and equipment, auxiliary equipment, consumable materials and reference materials. Services can include, for example, calibration services, sampling services, testing services, facility and equipment maintenance services, proficiency testing services and assessment and auditing services.

I would love some feedback in the scenarios:
a. the equipment was bought at auction, for instance
b. the equipment was purchased from a colleague in the industry, privately
c. the equipment was purchased via a re seller on something like Amazon or E bay
I am sure you get the drift.

Thoughts on how to approach this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
The standard is only says "suitable", so you have to decide, if Amazon is OK for your purpose.

If you buy a measurement device, e.g. a multimeter this is maybe not a big deal. But if the supplier shall provide some chemical with a minimum quality or certain concentration on regular basis, you will probably have higher requirements.

The standard also aims at service providers, that you use, e.g. external test and calibration labs (accreditation needed?), IT service providers (cloud services and privacy/confidentiality may be issued Herr!), cleaning companies...

itsbiodiversity

Involved In Discussions
I separated out services from supplies for the ease of clarification. I see what you mean by "supplies" being that for testing lab their supplies cannot undergo routine intermediate checks (like a dmm can)...you're more or less basing the certificate on a chemical.

Any other opinions?

dwperron

I think everyone has this right.
It is your responsibility to be sure that whatever you use in your testing or calibration processes has to be good enough to provide repeatable, accurate results.
Remember:
1581345427409.png

Can prevent bogus results!

itsbiodiversity

Involved In Discussions
Would appreciate some feedback on this method of pointing out and being up front concerning purchases made through non traditional vendors. I am doing as much self auditing as possible in preparation to transition from 2005 to 2017, and I do not want to be caught of guard by any technicality.

• Special Note: Instrumentation purchased for use in accredited laboratory activities originating from vendors such as Amazon, eBay, or other vendor outlets are to be calibrated by an Approved Service Provider prior to implementation into laboratory activities. These non traditional suppliers are evaluated based on the individual product provided, and each approval is only applicable to the purchased item from the supplier and does not indicate continued conformance for all equipment or supplies supplied by the vendor. These suppliers are not maintained on QL-XX “Approved Supplier List”, as the true approval of the product supplied occurs after calibration and verification by an approved service provider, which can be located on QL-XX “Approved Service Providers”.

dwperron

Would appreciate some feedback on this method of pointing out and being up front concerning purchases made through non traditional vendors. I am doing as much self auditing as possible in preparation to transition from 2005 to 2017, and I do not want to be caught of guard by any technicality.
Well written, good guidance.
One thing regarding Amazon purchases, they do often offer calibration services with their products, and when you dig a bit you find that an Amazon calibration was performed by Transcat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Approved Suppliers - ISO 13485 Normal Supplier Qualification Process Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
P List of ISO 17025 Approved Suppliers ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
J Approving Suppliers under 7.4.1 - Approved Suppliers List - ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
N Which Suppliers Belong on my AVL (Approved Vendor List)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N TGA CA Certificate approved suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Method to qualify COTS Suppliers into AVL (Approved Vendor List) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
C "Grandfathering" Approved Suppliers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
pammesue Requirements for an Approved Supplier List? No new suppliers in years ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W What Type of Service Suppliers should be on our Approved Service Suppliers List ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
W Suppliers for R&D department - Approved? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
L Approved Supplier List - Customer Approved Suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
F Do Calibration Suppliers need to be included in the list of Approved Suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G Developing an Approved Suppliers list ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Which Fringe Suppliers to Include in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Mil-Spec Hardware (MS, AN, NAS) Suppliers on AS9100 Approved Suppliers List AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
M Grandfathering suppliers to approved supplier list - Have to send out surveys? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
S 21CFR820-820.50 Purchasing controls - Using Non-Approved Suppliers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
A Quality Manager needs help with approved suppliers list Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
B Tooling suppliers - Do suppliers we buy material from have to be Approved Suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
G Definition KEY Supplier - QS-9000 Approved Suppliers - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Shipment of a CE Approved Class III Device to the EU Member States Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Ajit Basrur Why is ISO 14644-3:2019 not approved by US? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
K Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
F List of approved API manufacturers or Formulations manufacturers US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
J Change management with CFDA approved devices China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
L CQI & IRCA not accepting new applications for ATPs (Approved Training Partner) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
D FDA filing guidance to add sterilization step for approved drug Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
Jane's Should the facility landlord be an approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
I Adverse Event Reported during Non-Approved Indication Use EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Scientific and Research Papers for Foreign Approved Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J FDA approved Medical Devices for PVD and DLC Coatings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M ISO 14971:2007 Revision Approved - The Delft ISO TC 210 plenary meeting - Nov 2016 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
H IVD in US Phase III Clinical Trial - Non-CE Marked and Non-FDA Approved Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
J Why Control Plan Review needs to be Approved by the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F China Medical Device Labeling - Not approved for use, is for an exhibition EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S API Q1 Approved Training & Professional Certification Sources Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
gunnyshore Benchmarking: Approved Supplier List for Multiple Sites Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Why Drugs and generics are Approved while Biologics are Licensed ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
L Do HR consultants need to be on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M Making a change to an approved Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
D Is a separate spreadsheet required for the ASL (Approved Supplier List)? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5