Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment

itsbiodiversity

Involved In Discussions
Question that I have been mulling:

From the standard:
6.6.1 The laboratory shall ensure that only suitable externally provided products and services that affect laboratory activities are used, when such products and services:
a) are intended for incorporation into the laboratory’s own activities;
b) are provided, in part or in full, directly to the customer by the laboratory, as received from the external provider;
c) are used to support the operation of the laboratory.
NOTE Products can include, for example, measurement standards and equipment, auxiliary equipment, consumable materials and reference materials. Services can include, for example, calibration services, sampling services, testing services, facility and equipment maintenance services, proficiency testing services and assessment and auditing services.

I would love some feedback in the scenarios:
a. the equipment was bought at auction, for instance
b. the equipment was purchased from a colleague in the industry, privately
c. the equipment was purchased via a re seller on something like Amazon or E bay
I am sure you get the drift.

Thoughts on how to approach this?

Benjamin Weber

Involved In Discussions
The standard is only says "suitable", so you have to decide, if Amazon is OK for your purpose.

If you buy a measurement device, e.g. a multimeter this is maybe not a big deal. But if the supplier shall provide some chemical with a minimum quality or certain concentration on regular basis, you will probably have higher requirements.

The standard also aims at service providers, that you use, e.g. external test and calibration labs (accreditation needed?), IT service providers (cloud services and privacy/confidentiality may be issued Herr!), cleaning companies...

itsbiodiversity

Involved In Discussions
I separated out services from supplies for the ease of clarification. I see what you mean by "supplies" being that for testing lab their supplies cannot undergo routine intermediate checks (like a dmm can)...you're more or less basing the certificate on a chemical.

Any other opinions?

I think everyone has this right.
It is your responsibility to be sure that whatever you use in your testing or calibration processes has to be good enough to provide repeatable, accurate results.
Remember:
1581345427409.png

Can prevent bogus results!

itsbiodiversity

Involved In Discussions
Would appreciate some feedback on this method of pointing out and being up front concerning purchases made through non traditional vendors. I am doing as much self auditing as possible in preparation to transition from 2005 to 2017, and I do not want to be caught of guard by any technicality.

• Special Note: Instrumentation purchased for use in accredited laboratory activities originating from vendors such as Amazon, eBay, or other vendor outlets are to be calibrated by an Approved Service Provider prior to implementation into laboratory activities. These non traditional suppliers are evaluated based on the individual product provided, and each approval is only applicable to the purchased item from the supplier and does not indicate continued conformance for all equipment or supplies supplied by the vendor. These suppliers are not maintained on QL-XX “Approved Supplier List”, as the true approval of the product supplied occurs after calibration and verification by an approved service provider, which can be located on QL-XX “Approved Service Providers”.

Would appreciate some feedback on this method of pointing out and being up front concerning purchases made through non traditional vendors. I am doing as much self auditing as possible in preparation to transition from 2005 to 2017, and I do not want to be caught of guard by any technicality.
Well written, good guidance.
One thing regarding Amazon purchases, they do often offer calibration services with their products, and when you dig a bit you find that an Amazon calibration was performed by Transcat.

Top Bottom