SBS - The best value in QMS software

Approved Vendor (supplier) List

Hi, I had a question in regards to the Approved Vendor List (AVL). Is it common practice to have all vendor (active, inactive, revoked and new vendors you haven't yet ordered from) on the AVL?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Why would you want a "revoked" supplier on the approved vendor list? In general, the list should be comprised of suppliers that have been qualified and are OK to use for a given commodity.

Why would you want a "revoked" supplier on the approved vendor list? In general, the list should be comprised of suppliers that have been qualified and are OK to use for a given commodity.
Hi Jim, at one point the "revoked" vendor was once an approved vendor. This vendor has since been "revoked" due to not filling orders, extended lead times, etc.

So is it common practice to have to separate lists? An Approved Vendor List and a Non-Approved Vendor list? Or is it fine to have the "revoked" vendor on the Approved Vendor List with a notation that this vendor is no longer approved for orders.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove, which I should have said in the first post. Also in the first post, I asked why you would want a revoked supplier in the approved supplier list. It's your list and you can do whatever you want to with it, but I would avoid the confusion that might occur by including suppliers who aren't approved.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Why not use your ever improving criteria for selecting and reselecting suppliers?

After all, you want your suppliers to help your company and customers to be more competitive.

An AVL seems so 1980’s to me.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
Agreeing with the previous answers...we have a "Vendor List".
It is in XL, and shows approval status ("Approved", "Trial", "Never Bought" and "Blackballed")...easy to sort if needed.

This gives us an "Approved Vendor List"...but also gives us second, third, etc options if there is an issue with the primary vendor.
It also lets us know that vendor we are considering was blackballed 8 years ago...and why...so we can go in with our eyes open.

Sometimes (in my experience), you revoke a vendor due to a reason...then they lose enough customers to address the problem, and become a good vendor again. The list we use lets us check the reason we revoked them in the first place to see up front if we are wasting our time or not.

HTH

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Good day @usCal ;
Any "list" your organization creates and claims then needs to be updated/maintained. This can often lead to problems. Is there another way? For example, is there an approval process your suppliers go through in order to be entered into a P.O. data base or the ERP system? If so, you may already have a "list", without the need to create and maintain a separate one.

Food for thought.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
John makes an excellent point that I left out of mine...
We actually use a Dbase, to which we can attached the criteria for Approval, Blackball etc. Our XL list is an export from there...
Same Dbase prevents us from placing a PO with a blackballed supplier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
T AVL (Approved Vendor List) Supplier Listing - ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) List contain Vendor Evaluation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) if Customer Pays Sub-tier Shipping Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D How can a vendor (supplier) with no third party certification be approved? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Do I have to qualify my approved vendor (supplier) status? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Approved supplier/vendor - How do I approve my Registrar? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
P Seeking: Approved Supplier (Vendor) Log Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 35
D Approved Vendor (Supplier) List Issues - Class II medical device maker Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Our Approved Vendor / Supplier list contains EVERY supplier we currently have Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
N Which Suppliers Belong on my AVL (Approved Vendor List)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Method to qualify COTS Suppliers into AVL (Approved Vendor List) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M AVL and Non-AVL is that a contradiction - Approved Vendor List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
M Distributors and the Approved Vendor List Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
J Promoting and marketing of a non approved device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
bryan willemot Looking for an Approved vendors list template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
N Validating Software before getting approved as Class 2 device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Adding models to an approved Russian Registration Certificate Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Qualification list of businesses approved to Off-Shore Aerospace work. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
M Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Shipment of a CE Approved Class III Device to the EU Member States Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Ajit Basrur Why is ISO 14644-3:2019 not approved by US? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
K Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
F List of approved API manufacturers or Formulations manufacturers US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
J Change management with CFDA approved devices China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
L CQI & IRCA not accepting new applications for ATPs (Approved Training Partner) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
D FDA filing guidance to add sterilization step for approved drug Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
Jane's Should the facility landlord be an approved supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
I Adverse Event Reported during Non-Approved Indication Use EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Scientific and Research Papers for Foreign Approved Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Approved Supplier Register and Calibration Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J FDA approved Medical Devices for PVD and DLC Coatings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M ISO 14971:2007 Revision Approved - The Delft ISO TC 210 plenary meeting - Nov 2016 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
H IVD in US Phase III Clinical Trial - Non-CE Marked and Non-FDA Approved Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
J Why Control Plan Review needs to be Approved by the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F China Medical Device Labeling - Not approved for use, is for an exhibition EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S API Q1 Approved Training & Professional Certification Sources Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5