APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start?

M

Mary - QA Manager

Please help...I was just told I have to start PPAP submissions. As I will be a beginner to the process where should I start? Any books you would recommend I start reading?

Thanks!
Mary

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: PPAP for beginners

The PPAP reference manual from AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group) is a good place to start.

P

Priss80

Re: PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start?

You may start to glance through the PPAP manual by AIAG, the general requirement will be inside the manual which most probably submit for automotive customer. Somehow, some customer which is not automotive would also request PPAP submission, then you need to ask the customer their requirement. Their requirement and the form format may differ from manual.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Good point. Automotive APQP has been "appropriated" by many companies, but often they have their own "APQP" process which is not equivalent with the AIAG APQP and PPAP manuals.

C

cdj100

Hello everyone,

Could you, please, help with understanding the structure and hierarchy of APQP and PPAP abbreviations. Am I right: PPAP is a part of APQP, and PSW is the demonstration that all PPAP req. were fullfilled?
Or, please advise any sources to trace this correlation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Cove Forums!

Yes, PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) is part of APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning).

The purpose is to demonstrate the following:
  • Do you (supplier) have a clear understanding of ALL customer requirements?
  • Do you (supplier) have the capability to meet ALL customer requirements consistently at the quoted production rate?
The PPAP submission requirements are agreed upon between you and the Customer during the contract review stage.
The Customers typically dictate what documents and items they want from you.

The PSW (Part Submission Warrant) is one of the documents that is signed and submitted as part of PPAP submission.

The relevant information regarding all the above can be found in the APQP and PPAP manual and the CSR's (Customer Specific Requirements).

Hope this helps.

C

cdj100

Thanks a lot for quick reply!

But, still have some ?-s

1.The PPAP submission requirements are agreed upon between you and the Customer during the contract review stage.
The Customers typically dictate what documents and items they want from you.

That means PPAP levels?

2.PSW has to be signed until SORP, but it can include some missing points with further actions?

3.And the next, probably, stupid question: APQP is related only to GM,Ford,Chrisler. So, if you are thier supplier it means-you automatically obliged to follow this APQP.

What if you are f.e. Nissan supplier, what kind of guidance you have to folow then?

R

rsd252

Hi, I am also new to PPAP process and have had a couple of customers asking me for them to be completed. My company has less than 20 people and we produce custom proximity sensors. I am doing some research as to how much to charge for these or if we should be charging at all. I have gotten a list of the customer's required documents for a level 3. The 1st customer that asked for a PPAP has 6 different parts with us and we have done business with them for a number of years. We are currently working on getting set up with ISO 9001. I'm just not clear how much we should be charging because we have been doing business with the customer and send them parts on a regular basis. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Top Bottom