APQP Control Plans - MSA studies for everything listed on the plan?

T

Tom Avrutik

We are a tier 2 supplier working on QS registration. In the past, we have prepared control plans for several of our customers per their formats. These plans listed every inspection and check done in the process.

For QS, it seems we would have to perform MSA studies for everything listed on the plan. This would be almost impossible to administer, so I have a question or two:

1. Per the APQP manual, it looks like we would list all of the process steps, but only HAVE to inlcude specifications, evaluation etc (items 22-26) for the Special Characteristics. Is it generally acceptable to do this, and leave items 22-26 blank on the plan for the other steps?

2. It has been suggested we could have "2 plans"... a "PPAP control plan" and a more detailed, manufacturing plan for internal use only. The PPAP plan would only show the special characteristics and would be submitted to the customer, but we could have the internal plan with all our actual inspection steps. Would this help us avoid the MSA requirements on everything we do?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
For QS, it seems we would have to perform MSA studies for everything listed on the plan.
For every critical characteristic on the control plan. So - it depends upon the content of your control plan.
1. Per the APQP manual, it looks like we would list all of the process steps, but only HAVE to inlcude specifications, evaluation etc (items 22-26) for the Special Characteristics. Is it generally acceptable to
do this, and leave items 22-26 blank on the plan for the other steps?
I have never seen them left out. To be honest I never really thought about leaving them out. Some companies use the control plan only for critical characteristics (and safety) but QS has more and more people bringing in the other process steps where once their controls were part of processing documents. Sorry I dopn't know the answer to this one. I need to 'recalibrate' myself in this area.
2. It has been suggested we could have "2 plans"... a "PPAP control plan" and a more detailed, manufacturing plan for internal use only. The PPAP plan would only show the special characteristics and would be submitted to the customer, but we could have the internal plan with all our actual inspection steps. Would this help us avoid the MSA requirements on everything we do?
This is my paradigm - and the answer is Yes.

Sorry to be so late with the response. Sometimes I 'lose' messages for a short period...

B

Batman

Just a couple of things to also consider. You may have identified your own "Special Characteristics" or "Key Characteristics" in your manufacturing process, and these should be addressed in your control plans.

If having two control plans works for you, good. If you are subject to a "Run At Rate" study by your customer, they will bring with them the most recently submitted PPAP information and go through the process with you. There may be some confusion on their part if they have a neat, concise control plan that you submitted, and then see the "real" stuff at the production site. I try not to have opportunities to confuse the customer.

About leaving blanks, we have had two findings in the PPAP section ( at two different times ) for leaving blanks on the PSW. This is not the control plan, but just a cautionary note.

We only put those process steps that involve "Key Characteristics" on the control plan, any steps in between are just not listed, although they are found on the flow diagram. Key characteristics need to have some indication of "control," however you define it. That way you can fill in the measurement system stuff and the control method stuff.

Probably most important, make it work for you, and be ready to defend it.

Just a couple of things to consider.

millie6901

Registered Visitor
To confrim how to we indicate the MSA requirement . currenlty our practive we put in at " contol methos" at control plan.

Any specific ts requirment we must indicate MSA at control plan ?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
To confrim how to we indicate the MSA requirement . currenlty our practive we put in at " contol methos" at control plan.

Any specific ts requirment we must indicate MSA at control plan ?
Citing MSA in a control plan isn't normally done, but there's no reason that it shouldn't be done if that's how you want to do it. There is no requirement for it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Question about APQP Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Control Plans - VDA equivalent of AIAG APQP & Control Plan Manual VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
M APQP & C/P Manual, Pg33, Para 3 - Control Plans - Clarification please FMEA and Control Plans 5
F APQP " Key Contact on Control Plans" APQP and PPAP 4
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C CHARACTERISTICS Number in Control Plan methology in AIAG APQP Manual APQP and PPAP 2
N New Control Plan Form and Format in the APQP 2nd Edition FMEA and Control Plans 2
Manix Who is the Official Publisher of the APQP and Control Plan Manual? APQP and PPAP 2
A APQP/ PPAP Manual Revision Control APQP and PPAP 2
M Software to Handle All "Quality" Processes? APQP, Control Plan, FMEA, MSA, PPAP, etc. Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
A Non-conformance logged following a TS16949 Stage 2 audit - APQP Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
H Does Powerway's APQP - PPAP fulfill TS16949 document and data control requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
A Microsoft Access APQP type database for Process Flow, FMEA, Control Plan, etc. Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 44
Marc Design Control - A Simple Sample APQP Matrix - 21 CFR 820.30(b) Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
G AS9145/APQP return on investment APQP and PPAP 6
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
S APQP Relationship Diagram APQP and PPAP 2
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
K APQP Gates_Project/Product Localization APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP Phase 3 - Team Feasibility Commitment APQP and PPAP 3
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
F APQP for Medical Devices APQP and PPAP 4
A How to view supplier APQP timeline and do risk management APQP and PPAP 4
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
Sidney Vianna SCMH Awareness Webinar Focused on the revised Advanced Product Quality Planning APQP AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
kedarg6500 APQP & PPAP for Process Industry - Concept for Waste to Energy Program APQP and PPAP 0
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Is APQP Required for All Projects? APQP and PPAP 4
S APQP, PPAP and PSW Question from a Rookie APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
C What is the SOEP in APQP? APQP and PPAP 6
S How can I make a Process Flow Diagram for APQP process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start? APQP and PPAP 48
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
M APQP for Non-Automotive Suppliers APQP and PPAP 6
Q Consult "GM APQP" Step1: Key Stakeholders Meeting - GM 1927-18 APQP and PPAP 5
A APQP in Bombardier APQP and PPAP 1
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
S Please Review my APQP Training Material APQP and PPAP 4
Q Electronic APQP System APQP and PPAP 7
T APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant APQP and PPAP 2
J What are the Design Factors in APQP? APQP and PPAP 3
J Three Best Practices and Lessons Learned in APQP APQP and PPAP 1