APQP for Non-Automotive Suppliers

markl368

Involved In Discussions
I don't work in the auto industry, but I'm somewhat familiar with APQP. We really need to work with our suppliers to maintain consistent change control processes...we were recently burned by someone making an "insignificant" change...and I was wondering if anyone had ever used something like APQP or an adapted APQP to work with a supplier to control change.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dooglas

Customers should be able to exert control over the product they are purchasing from their suppliers and should therefore be able to control any change or proposed changes to the product or processes that create the product. If the insignificant change burned you, then the supplier must have failed to meet the purchase order agreement in some way or supplied product that did not meet the specifications on the design print. This should give you as the customer the leverage you need to issue a rejection and require formal corrective action from the supplier.

Customers often use audits as a way to monitor their suppliers to make sure they have adequate systems in place to prevent the type of problem you describe. Does your company audit and assess its suppliers on a regular basis?

I am not well versed with APQP but I know the principles are being used by more and more companies as personnel formerly employed within industries that do apply the techniques move on to new organizations that have not used it.
It also looks like this has been a topic in previous threads.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
It all comes back to a company's quality plan for a product. What automotive calls APQP is neither new or unique. We used the same process (with some additional steps) way back in the 1980's when I was in DoD work in aerospace electronics. The names are not the same, necessarily, but the parts of the APQP process were the same for all intents and purposes. We called them a QAPP - Quality Assurance Program Plan and I used to write them. All contracts were very specific in that any time we made the slightest change it had to first be approved by the customer (the DoD). Most of our processes had "qualified" operators so even a change in operators typically had to be pre-approved.

This is automotive's APQP process in a nutshell

As to the original post, when you choose a supplier your contract review and approval process should include aspects such as how quality of the product will be controlled. Additional controls and things such as supplier process (or other) changes should be addressed. In my mind when ever a supplier makes any type of change you are essentially going through a contract change which requires a contract review. No matter what they change, the customer must be advised prior to the change to give the customer time to evaluate the change and any potential effect it has.

There is no such thing as an "insignificant" change with the exception (in most cases) of a change in operator(s) of that process. And even there, often times personnel change can be a significant factor. Even moving a piece of equipment to a different place on the manufacturing floor can be a significant change.

B

Bjourne

I have a reading material I refer to from time to time which is a supplier manual from a firm which supplies automotive materials. I'd like to share it with you if you like. Can you provide an email address? It's on OneDrive but I am still new to the concept and just sits there. Am a long time Gmail user...Just let me know if you wish to have a copy and I will email it to you.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I don't work in the auto industry, but I'm somewhat familiar with APQP. We really need to work with our suppliers to maintain consistent change control processes...we were recently burned by someone making an "insignificant" change...and I was wondering if anyone had ever used something like APQP or an adapted APQP to work with a supplier to control change.
It depends on the criteria that you have agreed with your own suppliers, even though they are not automotive. You can consider to issue a supplier quality manual and transmit it to the supplier where you established criteria for their process change communication.
You may also want to implement PPAP or similar procedure for product approval process. I understand that you can find some resistance, but , if you are in ISO TS world, it is the only method to improve the whole supply chain, making leverage on supplier development.

markl368

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the responses. I talked to another friend and he also suggested a PPAP approach. I was able to download a couple of checklists off the web and I think those will help define some better controls that we can discuss with our supplier concerning changes. Of course, as several said, the problem was that they thought the change was "insignificant" and would never have required any notification to us. That will be handled as a related but separate issue!

Q

QualityRookie

I have a reading material I refer to from time to time which is a supplier manual from a firm which supplies automotive materials. I'd like to share it with you if you like. Can you provide an email address? It's on OneDrive but I am still new to the concept and just sits there. Am a long time Gmail user...Just let me know if you wish to have a copy and I will email it to you.
I would love to see what you have Bjourne. Would you email it to me as well?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Does someone use APQP for non automotive industrie? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V APQP Implementation In A Non-automotive Sector APQP and PPAP 1
J Selling APQP to non-automotive company APQP and PPAP 6
A Non-conformance logged following a TS16949 Stage 2 audit - APQP Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
G AS9145/APQP return on investment APQP and PPAP 6
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 22
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
S APQP Relationship Diagram APQP and PPAP 2
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
K APQP Gates_Project/Product Localization APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP Phase 3 - Team Feasibility Commitment APQP and PPAP 3
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
F APQP for Medical Devices APQP and PPAP 4
A How to view supplier APQP timeline and do risk management APQP and PPAP 4
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
Sidney Vianna SCMH Awareness Webinar Focused on the revised Advanced Product Quality Planning APQP AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
kedarg6500 APQP & PPAP for Process Industry - Concept for Waste to Energy Program APQP and PPAP 0
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Is APQP Required for All Projects? APQP and PPAP 4
S APQP, PPAP and PSW Question from a Rookie APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
C What is the SOEP in APQP? APQP and PPAP 6
S How can I make a Process Flow Diagram for APQP process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start? APQP and PPAP 48
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
Q Consult "GM APQP" Step1: Key Stakeholders Meeting - GM 1927-18 APQP and PPAP 5
A APQP in Bombardier APQP and PPAP 1
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
S Please Review my APQP Training Material APQP and PPAP 4
Q Electronic APQP System APQP and PPAP 7
T APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant APQP and PPAP 2
J Question about APQP Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 2
J What are the Design Factors in APQP? APQP and PPAP 3
J Three Best Practices and Lessons Learned in APQP APQP and PPAP 1
T PPAP & APQP - What other sectors are Adopting/Adapting these Concepts? APQP and PPAP 14
W Production Trial Run in AIAG APQP and Run at Rate (GP-9) GM 1927 APQP and PPAP 2
L Request APQP Process Internal Audit checklist APQP and PPAP 2
J APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects APQP and PPAP 8
J Email Reminder through Excel for APQP Planning Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
G APQP Timing Plan Template attached APQP and PPAP 3
B Frequently asked PPAP, FMEA, SPC, MSA, APQP & 7QC Tools questions for Interviews Career and Occupation Discussions 1
GURU SDI APQP Procedure For Sand Casting Process APQP and PPAP 6
Jim Wynne APQP, or Why Things Always Go Wrong APQP and PPAP 0