APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects

J

jovoga

Hello friends,

I use APQP excel sheet for APQP management.
Basic structure of excel spreadsheet is
a) Task Needed/task not needed (if I choose "task not needed", fields - Start date, Planned date, Finished date, Responsible person have value N.A.)
Task
b) Start date
c) Planned date
d) Finished date
e) Responsible person

Important rule: 1 file is for 1 APQP project (yearly 30-40 projects)

My problem is, that manage of each file is very hard and take a long time (i must open each file , check status, send reminder to responsible persons etc...).
Also also for responsible persons is this system not user friendly.

Do you have idea how to manage many projects in Excel without issue as I described above?

Please post your experiences.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello friends,

a) Task Needed/task not needed (if I choose "task not needed", fields - Start date, Planned date, Finished date, Responsible person have value N.A.)
Task
b) Start date
c) Planned date
d) Finished date
e) Responsible person

My problem is, that manage of each file is very hard and take a long time (i must open each file , check status, send reminder to responsible persons etc...).

Do you have idea how to manage many projects in Excel without issue as I described above?

Evaluate the chance to create an ad hoc system in house or use some commercial software dedicated to the project mgmt. For istance , there is also MS Project,but in the market there is a variety of this software tools.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello friends,

Task
b) Start date
c) Planned date
d) Finished date
e) Responsible person

I also think that Gantt charts usage could be useful for your purpose as well.

M

Murphys Law

We've migrated our APQPs to sharepoint. Each Project, has it's own child sharepoint with standard deliverables for each phased checkpoints.

Depending on complexity, MS Project is used for task management of complex projects. Excel for less projects.

We also interface with a WW design team in India, and they use a Wiki for lower level tracking of design related issues. The wiki has some tools within it to remind people of tasks/keep running lists of open items. Sharepoint can also do this but you need some skills to design that. We see no reason to change a system that seems to work.

M

marialewis520

Friend i have experience of using Microsoft project management system for my projects it is easier to understand it's program and can handled 50 projects of mine at the same time, Rather excel i have use it not so much but i suggest you to order your projects Alphabetical wise along with insert comment option and put project head name in comment option it might help you.....?

T

tomvehoski

I would look at moving to MS Project - you have enough data to make it worthwhile. You can still make each project its own file, but you can then roll all of those up into a master project plan.

SharePoint is also a great tool for the team to manage projects. I've used it quite well in the past, and impatiently waiting for our major IT system update to be completed which will include it. The ability to store documents and manage their revisions was one of the best features. I'm not sure how well it would be able to roll up project timelines across multiple child sites, but have also not used it in a few years now.

This can not be done effectively. I have tried it myself. Recently I have investigated open source Project Management software that will allow you to import of your existing work sheets. MS project is very complicated compared to many of these programs. From this software, you will be able to easily view all of your projects. There are many to choose from that you but each has different capability.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
L PMP Project Management and APQP - Differences APQP and PPAP 9
S Develop and Train Project Management Team in Effective APQP Usage APQP and PPAP 5
P What is difference between APQP and Project Management? APQP and PPAP 26
D BMW Project - How does their APQP process work? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Seeking APQP project plan done in Microsoft Project / Poll on Web Data Collection APQP and PPAP 14
G Issues/Roadblocks with APQP implementation APQP and PPAP 7
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
G AS9145/APQP return on investment APQP and PPAP 6
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
S APQP Relationship Diagram APQP and PPAP 2
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
K APQP Gates_Project/Product Localization APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP Phase 3 - Team Feasibility Commitment APQP and PPAP 3
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
F APQP for Medical Devices APQP and PPAP 4
A How to view supplier APQP timeline and do risk management APQP and PPAP 4
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
Sidney Vianna SCMH Awareness Webinar Focused on the revised Advanced Product Quality Planning APQP AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
kedarg6500 APQP & PPAP for Process Industry - Concept for Waste to Energy Program APQP and PPAP 0
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Is APQP Required for All Projects? APQP and PPAP 4
S APQP, PPAP and PSW Question from a Rookie APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
C What is the SOEP in APQP? APQP and PPAP 6
S How can I make a Process Flow Diagram for APQP process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start? APQP and PPAP 48
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
M APQP for Non-Automotive Suppliers APQP and PPAP 6
Q Consult "GM APQP" Step1: Key Stakeholders Meeting - GM 1927-18 APQP and PPAP 5
A APQP in Bombardier APQP and PPAP 1
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
S Please Review my APQP Training Material APQP and PPAP 4
Q Electronic APQP System APQP and PPAP 7
T APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant APQP and PPAP 2
J Question about APQP Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 2
J What are the Design Factors in APQP? APQP and PPAP 3
J Three Best Practices and Lessons Learned in APQP APQP and PPAP 1
T PPAP & APQP - What other sectors are Adopting/Adapting these Concepts? APQP and PPAP 14
W Production Trial Run in AIAG APQP and Run at Rate (GP-9) GM 1927 APQP and PPAP 2
L Request APQP Process Internal Audit checklist APQP and PPAP 2
J Email Reminder through Excel for APQP Planning Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
G APQP Timing Plan Template attached APQP and PPAP 3
B Frequently asked PPAP, FMEA, SPC, MSA, APQP & 7QC Tools questions for Interviews Career and Occupation Discussions 1