APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part

KP8108

Registered
When a new print or spec is recieved from a customer for an existing part already in production does that kick off a APQP meeting?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing

Think "Contract Review", first. Any time a customer requests a change, you should start a new Contract Review (at least partial, if not full). From there, a determination of what part of the APQP process must be done. Make sure prior to acceptance of a customer change request that any APQP parts which must be done are agreed to, in writing, by the customer. A customer request for change is for all intents and purposes a New Contract.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Re: APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing

Depends what you consider an APQP meeting. The nature and extent of the change will determine (in part) what you will need to do. It can be as simple as the customer agreeing to a warrant-only PPAP submission (NOT the same as a Lvl 1 PPAP submission), or it may be as complex as a completely redesigned tool and process.
Communicate with your customer, and find out what their expectations and needs are. In the end, it is what the customer wants that drives everything else.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

I agree 100% with Ron, but I posted what I did based upon experiences in companies which did NOT do a new contract review when a customer submitted (for example) a revised print for an existing part and all heck broke loose (all sorts of problems came up). AFTER you re-do Contract Review internally, that is when you and the customer have to agree on the change and what will be required including any part of the APQP process.

Top Bottom