APQP Scope and scale tool

g_dep1

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I work in the aerospace industry where APQP is slowly being introduced. A big point of contention is how applicable/appropriate allocating resources upfront for APQP activity is.

Are there any tools available to help justify allocating resources and budget for APQP activity during bid phase for a new contract? For example, if the program is just to modify an existing product/design, I find it difficult to allocate a large number of engineering man hours to conduct a DFMEA (keep in mind, APQP is new for the company and there are no existing DFMEA records for all our products). However if this is a brand new product we're designing, it would make sense to allocate resources. Program management throws out questions/comments like "hey, how do we develop an APQP-lite version? A lot of what you're describing isn't applicable to us since this is a mature design already?"

I'm hoping to develop an excel based tool to help in the Basis of Estimates for APQP budgeting and resources based on product/design complexity, schedule risk, supply chain risk (i.e. sole source), etc.

What are some variables/ factors I should consider for such a scope and scale tool for APQP application? Does any forum members have templates for what i'm describing above which may assist?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

g_dep1

Starting to get Involved
Your leadership apparently loves the analysis paralysis scenario.
Very valid observation! I mentioned in past posts that there is more of a superficial support or lip-service in regards to APQP deployment on new product development aerospace programs. Our program managers are trained to approach basis of estimates for new programs with as little operational support as possible. Our operations leadership is pushing for APQP deployment, but there seems to be a gap between both coins of leadership when it comes to funding for these initiatives.

"APQP-lite" is becoming a common phrase and my challenge is to help address it with a scope tool based on certain factors when evaluating the design up-front.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Designing a scope for APQP Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Limiting the scope of APQP - Supplier of metal cutting equipment and test equipment QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
G AS9145/APQP return on investment APQP and PPAP 6
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
S APQP Relationship Diagram APQP and PPAP 2
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
K APQP Gates_Project/Product Localization APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP Phase 3 - Team Feasibility Commitment APQP and PPAP 3
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
F APQP for Medical Devices APQP and PPAP 4
A How to view supplier APQP timeline and do risk management APQP and PPAP 4
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
Sidney Vianna SCMH Awareness Webinar Focused on the revised Advanced Product Quality Planning APQP AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
kedarg6500 APQP & PPAP for Process Industry - Concept for Waste to Energy Program APQP and PPAP 0
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Is APQP Required for All Projects? APQP and PPAP 4
S APQP, PPAP and PSW Question from a Rookie APQP and PPAP 4
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
C What is the SOEP in APQP? APQP and PPAP 6
S How can I make a Process Flow Diagram for APQP process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start? APQP and PPAP 48
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
M APQP for Non-Automotive Suppliers APQP and PPAP 6
Q Consult "GM APQP" Step1: Key Stakeholders Meeting - GM 1927-18 APQP and PPAP 5
A APQP in Bombardier APQP and PPAP 1
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
S Please Review my APQP Training Material APQP and PPAP 4
Q Electronic APQP System APQP and PPAP 7
T APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant APQP and PPAP 2
J Question about APQP Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 2
J What are the Design Factors in APQP? APQP and PPAP 3
J Three Best Practices and Lessons Learned in APQP APQP and PPAP 1
T PPAP & APQP - What other sectors are Adopting/Adapting these Concepts? APQP and PPAP 14
W Production Trial Run in AIAG APQP and Run at Rate (GP-9) GM 1927 APQP and PPAP 2
L Request APQP Process Internal Audit checklist APQP and PPAP 2
J APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects APQP and PPAP 8
J Email Reminder through Excel for APQP Planning Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
G APQP Timing Plan Template attached APQP and PPAP 3
B Frequently asked PPAP, FMEA, SPC, MSA, APQP & 7QC Tools questions for Interviews Career and Occupation Discussions 1
GURU SDI APQP Procedure For Sand Casting Process APQP and PPAP 6
Jim Wynne APQP, or Why Things Always Go Wrong APQP and PPAP 0
Jim Wynne Adventures in APQP Imported Legacy Blogs 9
R What does P-release mean in APQP documents regarding drawings and approvals? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1