AQL Inspector's Rule - bring into CQE Exam?

S

stm08007

Hello,

I'm preparing to take the CQE-- I started reading the CQE Primer, and it recommends bringing in a copy of the latest ANSI/ASQ Z1.4. This is like $150, which I'd prefer not to spend. I have an "AQL Inspector's Rule" which seems it would get me through a good chunk of questions that I'd need the standard for. Is this allowable to bring in? (google images has example if you are unfamiliar). Is the actual standard absolutely necessary to bring to the exam? Any other specific things I should bring besides Primer, perhaps CQE Handbook, Calculator? I also have a stats textbook, and an old edition of Jurans Quality Handbook. I feel these combine to be thousands of pages of info-- the CQEPrimer recommends additional books, but that seems overkill to me?

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Here is what ASQ says:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is the exam open-book?
With the exception of the constructed-response portion of the Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence exam, exams are open-book.

All reference materials (i.e. including all forms of notes) must be bound and remain bound during the exam. Bound refers to material permanently bound by stitching or glue and materials fastened securely in its cover by fasteners, which penetrate all papers (i.e. ring binders, spiral binders, plastic snap binders, brads, or screw posts). Manually or hand stapled documents that are not securely fastened in their covers are not allowed. The size of workspace area at Prometric test centers is limited. The approximate desk dimensions are 48" in length and 24" in width.

Before you enter the exam room, the Test Center Administrator (TCA) will inspect all references. "Post-Its" will be permitted as book tabs only (must be attached prior to entering the test center). Items strictly prohibited in the exam area: hand stapled or paper-clipped materials, blank writing tablets or tablets containing blank pages, unbound tablets, unbound notes, slide charts and/or wheel charts (hand-held cardboard or plastic calculating devices with rotating or sliding pieces).

Absolutely no collections of questions and answers or weekly refresher-course quizzes are permitted. Reference sources that contain such copy are not allowed unless the questions are removed.

Examinees are responsible for abiding by applicable copyright laws.

What kind of calculator can I bring?
  • All computer-based exams feature a basic scientific calculator on-screen in the exam. Prometric Test Center Administrators can provide you with a hand-held basic calculator upon request.
    With the introduction of tablets and palmtop computers and the increasing sophistication of scientific calculators, ASQ has become increasingly aware of the need to limit the types of calculators permitted for use during the examinations. Any silent, hand-held, battery-operated calculator with noprogrammable memory will be permitted. Programmable calculators tend to have graphing capabilities, the ability to store text/alphanumeric data by the input of the user, and a function (fn, F1, F2, etc.) button.
    Calculators such as the Texas Instruments TI-89 or similar are absolutely not allowed because they are programmable. The examination is written so that a simple calculator will be sufficient to perform all calculations. Examinees are allowed to have a backup calculator if necessary.

David-D

Involved In Discussions
Is all you are looking for is the inspection sampling tables of ANSI/ASQ Z1.4? In lieu of buying 1.4, I'd suggest just bringing a copy of MIL-STD-105 which is the same document excep ANSI just pasted their name and price tag on. You can download it free from the government:

https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qaSearch.aspx

As i recall, revision D of 105 is a statistical match to 1.4; you probably just need the code letter table and the first couple normal/reduced single sampling plan tables. While you're at it, you could also get MIL-STD-414; it is what became Z1.9 for variable sampling.

David

Last edited:

David-D

Involved In Discussions
Now that many people are taking the ASQ exams at dedicated test centers rather than sites proctored by ASQ members (who actually know the material) i think the generic proctors are much less understanding of what you can and can't bring in. They therefore will now be more likely prevent you from bringing in things like slide-rules, whiz-wheels, etc. It doesnt say you can, so they'll default to no.

I personally haven't taken any exams since the computer conversion, put my coworkers who have said that they're much more stringent.

I'd suggest you give ASQ a phone call for clarity, i find them very helpful when you call. 800-248-1946 (United States and Canada only)

David

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I think the FAQs posted above by dwperron clearly answers the OP's question.

But if you are asking questions, I would email ASQ and take the email answer to the exam to avoid any last-minute problems.

procyaranda

Registered
I emailed ASQ today Sept 4, 2019 and here are the allowed calculator models for ASQ CSSBB"
Good luck to all of us who will take the exam
1567557998984.png

Top Bottom