Are complaints applicable to development of medical devices?

Hi,

It is my first post on this forum, but I read a lot on the various topics you discuss and it was always useful.

My company provides medical device design and development services. We do not manufacture anything. Once he development is completed, it is transfered to our client who is the manufacturer of the device.

I wonder if I need to maintain a complaint procedure since we are not engaged in post market activities. Only development.
The case I struggle with is the following:
Let's say we assemble a prototype and deliver it to the client for Validation testing for example. If the client notices a deficiency (that classifies as a complaint) related to the prototype we delivered, should I treat it as a complaint ? Or is it part of Validation activities ?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome to the Cove. Since you are not the Device Manufacturer, you have no responsibilities for 21 CFR 820.198 (assuming US FDA compliance). I agree that feedback on prototypes is part of your Development process. If the prototype failed a test from your client, that should be under the scope of a particular protocol, the issue would be reported, investigated and fed back into the Design process for resolution. Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Too many customer complaints Customer Complaints 16
G Supplier doesn't accept the complaints Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
S RMAs & Closing Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
A ISO 10002:2018 Checklist Needed (Complaints Handling) Customer Complaints 5
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
R Do Medical Device Complaints include Clinical Trials? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Complaint alert levels - Industry standards pertaining to alert levels for complaints Customer Complaints 5
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
J Complaints and not the legal manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 20
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
N ISO 9001:2015 Customer Complaints Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
tnorton Lessons learned from implementing Customer Complaints Customer Complaints 1
D Volkswagen Complaints Management Rules Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Q Documenting Customer Complaints (Records) Customer Complaints 6
K Risk Analysis Updates due to complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
Marc Complaints - How to Complain (Xenforo Software October 2018) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S What is the process of capturing "oral" customer complaints? Customer Complaints 9
J MDR reporting and CAPA thoughts? Classifying Complaints on Risk 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
C Backorders and delayed packages complaints? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
C UDI and complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q Does ISO 9001 require CARs for all customer complaints? Customer Complaints 2
Marc Customer Complaints Discussions in All Elsmar Forums Customer Complaints 0
G App for logging complaints. Customer Complaints 2
C Complaint Training - FDA - How to recognize complaints and what actions to take 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Q Managing Internal/External RNC and Complaints in same Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Implantable Medical Device Manufacturer Going Out of Business - Complaints EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Are internally found Medical Device Software "Bugs" Complaints? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Difference Between Complaints and Feedbacks in terms of Follow-Up Actions Needed Customer Complaints 3
J ISO 13485 Complaints (what is a complaint) Customer Complaints 5
M Is PPM a good metric for gathering companywide complaints ? Customer Complaints 2
A How to handle complaints after end of specified medical device life-time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Creating a xlsx Customer Complaint file to track Complaints Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
D Can anyone share a Customer Complaint procedure not requiring logging complaints ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
shimonv Classification of Complaints from Beta Sites - Complaints Definition per QSR 820.3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Help me understand the applicability of 21 CFR Part 820.198 (Customer Complaints) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Risk Management for Complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A SOP for Internal Complaints between Sites Customer Complaints 2
J Why are there Customer Complaints when the process is in control? Six Sigma 24
S FDA terms - Adverse Events, Medical Device Reporting, MAUDE and Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
G Corrective Action against Customer Complaints ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Customer Complaints - Categorization help requested Customer Complaints 2
W Investigating Medical Devices Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
T How many complaints, defects and non-conformances are typical? Customer Complaints 5
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
Q Understanding the general Philosophy with Complaints and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Complaints vs. Non Conformances - When is a Complaint a Nonconformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8