SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Are CQE refresher courses by local ASQ centers helpful in preparing for the exam?

C

Cognizant

Is CQE refresher course offered by local ASQ centers helpful in preparing for the exam ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Duke Okes

Whether or not they're useful depends on things such as your level of experience with the relevant body of knowledge (BOK), how you learn best, and how much other work you're willing to do for the exam.

Refresher courses typically cannot cover the content in detail ... that's why they're called "refresher" courses. They do offer the opportunity to review the BOK, discuss various topics which you may be less familiar with, and practice & discuss example questions.

Typically you should expect to spend 100+ hours besides the time you spend in the course sessions in order to prepare for an exam.

D

David DeLong

I would say that they are absolutely necessary.

I love the term "refresher" since some of the topics were new to me and maybe not used that much in industry. If I didn't take the course, I would not have passed the exam.

Remember, only the top quartile pass.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
I pretty much concur with Duke's post.

Will it be helpful? I could not imagine that it will hurt. Check with your local chapter and find out who would teach the class. Maybe talk with them and see what they think.

The classes I have taken have tended to be highly relevant to the actual exams/preparing for exams.

In the end, like Duke said it will depend on your own strengths/ weaknessess, and how much the class will be applicable to where you are. Too, there are costs in time and money, so that has to be factored in also.

K

Kevin H

Cognizant - I've set up to take the CQE and paid for CQE Refresher courses from my local ASQ section at least twice - each time life intruded and I had to put taking the CQE test on a back burner. Both times, they addressed areas that I had not worked with for some time, so I felt that they would have helped me pass the test.

I've also taken the CQA and CMQ/OE refresher courses offered by my section and felt that those refreshers helped me pass the associated tests the first time I time I took them.

I suspect that the value of the refresher courses may be partially dependent on the section and its committment to continuing education and its selection of instructors. I'm from western PA, so the section is centered around Pittsburgh, Pa.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Friends,

Sorry for butting in....

I have read the posts in this thread a few times and I started to wonder...Is the purpose of the ASQ (refresher) courses the enhancement of a person's competencies or just to help "pass the test?" Passing a test (IMHO) does not necessarily demonstrate competency....

What do my Fellow Covers think?

Stijloor.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Friends,

Sorry for butting in....

I have read the posts in this thread a few times and I started to wonder...Is the purpose of the ASQ (refresher) courses the enhancement of a person's competencies or just to help "pass the test?" Passing a test (IMHO) does not necessarily demonstrate competency....

What do my Fellow Covers think?

Stijloor.
I think the courses can do both, or neither. As I believe you allude, passing a test does not demonstrating competency, nor does not passing indicate any lack of competency. A lot is dependent on the instructor; but more importantly, the nature and purpose of the class.

ASQ does have components for both in getting the CQE. A satisfaction of competencies was required prior to being awarded the CQE. So one had to provide experience for the certification, and pass the exam.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
ASQ does have components for both in getting the CQE. A satisfaction of competencies was required prior to being awarded the CQE. So one had to provide experience for the certification, and pass the exam.
Hello Brad,

Thank you for your insights. You write in past tense, does that mean that ASQ dropped "past/current experience" requirements?

Stijloor.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello Brad,

Thank you for your insights. You write in past tense, does that mean that ASQ dropped "past/current experience" requirements?

Stijloor.
I think they still have the requirements. It's just been a few years since I have gone through it, and I did not want to speak incorrectly on it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Mistakes in the CQE Study Guide Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
O ASQ CQE Exam Experience, Home versus Exam Center ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
R ANSI/ASQ Z1.4. for CQE Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
Y ASQ CQE and CSSGB; What next? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
T ASQ CQE vs CMQ/OE Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
E CQE or SSGB for a new career Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
andika_untoro ASQ CQE Exam Group for Dec 2019 / Jan 2020 Preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 18
S AQL Inspector's Rule - bring into CQE Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
M Differences in CQE, CSTE, CSQA, CQA Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
W SSGB vs. CQE certification? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
R CQE vs CQA vs CSSGB vs CWI Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B I have CSBB Cert - CQE vs. CMQ/OE next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
O CQE Handbook - Missing Section VII - Risk Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
L CQE Quiz - Something I made up to make aspiring CQE's head hurt Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Sampling Plan Questions from the CQE Practice Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J CQE References allowed in the Exam Room Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
P CQE Work Experience - New to Industry Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A CQE exam primer Control Limit question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Do CQE exam questions repeat in next exams? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q Question about 2012 ASQ CQE certification primer vs 2006 primer Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
D Have my CQE - Is it worth "backfilling" other Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
R CQE Exam Problem Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
H CQE Exam Review Volunteers Needed. Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
H ASQ CQE Exam Review Workshop - Seeking Volunteers! September 2013 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
A ASQ CQE statistics training in Australia? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
D Examples of CQE test questions for December 2012 exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
K CQE/SSGB Qualifications and Requirements Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
S CQE sample exam - Question 23 about a regression model Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Preparing for CQE Exam - Calculators and Statistical Calculations Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
A CQE Exam Machine Capability Question - HELP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
A How relevant are ASQC CQT, CQE, CMI Completion Diplomas in the Current Work Place Career and Occupation Discussions 9
R CQE and CQA Training Books/Materials and related Quality Jobs Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
M CQE Preparation - Classes offered by ASQ or QC Group Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
Q Which calculators can I take to CQE exam ? Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
I I failed my CQE Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 21
R Passed CQE in the first attempt!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
M DOE (Design of Experiments) - CQE Primer question Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
H Seeking Volunteers for ASQ CQE Exam Review Professional Certifications and Degrees 16
R ASQ CQE Practice Exam - Do I need to score very well to pass? Professional Certifications and Degrees 17
K Benefits of being an ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
D Study Materials needed for CQE Exam Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
M X-Bar Chart - CQE Problem to Solve Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Best Preparation Material for the CQE in June Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
S CQE Primer or CQE handbook - Which one is better Professional Certifications and Degrees 20
S ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) June 2009 Results Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
CalRich I was given two copies of the CQE exam! Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
F Is ASQ's CQE online training enough? Professional Certifications and Degrees 16
C Passed the CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) exam 1st time Professional Certifications and Degrees 23
B New ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer)! Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
U Capability question from CQE exam Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7