Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs

david316

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

Often with a complicated project, the user needs will get broken down in more and more detailed requirements. For example for a medical device you may end up with specific electronic, software or mechanical requirements. Are the detailed engineering requirements (which some people call engineering specifications) design outputs? Note, I am not talking about drawings etc, these are detailed requirements and are written as requirements which are then ultimately verified.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Design inputs are the inputs that you have at the early stage of the design.
Design outputs however is the design of the device, packaging and labelling, and the DMR that is for all procedures and specifications that you have for the finished device.

So, yes, for me the Design output does contain the specifications and requirements developed over the course of design actitivites based on the design inputs.

Cheers

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Indeed, I've seen the "line drawn" in different places. Some draw the line right after Product Requirements. I don't necessarily agree with that - I tend to consider, as Inputs, all those through what I consider "domain specific" requirements (e.g., Software Requirements Specifications, Labeling Requirements Specifications, etc.). Drawings, to me, are the elaboration of the requirements and thus fall into the Design Output category.

Where the line is drawn is probably not the biggest concern: showing that, indeed, the design outputs meet the design input requirements is most important.

david316

Involved In Discussions
Indeed, I've seen the "line drawn" in different places. Some draw the line right after Product Requirements. I don't necessarily agree with that - I tend to consider, as Inputs, all those through what I consider "domain specific" requirements (e.g., Software Requirements Specifications, Labeling Requirements Specifications, etc.). Drawings, to me, are the elaboration of the requirements and thus fall into the Design Output category.

Where the line is drawn is probably not the biggest concern: showing that, indeed, the design outputs meet the design input requirements is most important.
Thanks. I am coming much to the same conclusion. Although it can be confusing because often people/articles make it sound very black or white. In reality where the line get drawn seems to vary.

Followup question.....If software requirement specifications and hardware requirements specifications etc get lumped in with design outputs and we have a design review at the outputs stage to identify that all design outputs have been documented, then I would assume that we need to review those engineering specification documents are complete as well as the outputs from those documents (i.e. Software Design Description, the software, PCB schematics, etc)? Is this correct?

Thanks

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
An easy way to understand (but not always to apply):

Design input requirements are what the device has to do (the what).

Design output requirements are the answer to what, the technical solutions (the how) of how the device do what the inputs required.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
The way I tend to think about it is as follows:

Design outputs are all those things that you'd have to transfer to another (hypothetical) manufacturer in order for them to replicate the device.

They would NOT need the original requirement specifications (with the exception of any translated into production acceptance criteria), but they WOULD need the design drawings.

Hence, the engineering requirements would be considered design inputs, whereas all the stuff required to actually make the thing that meets those requirements (the drawings, bill-of-materials, assembly work-instructions,....) are the design outputs.

(as already stated more succinctly by Marcelo in his previous post :yes:)

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
It might be of my hazy memory, I cannot recall however any project when the specifications, requirements were available at the time of they would have been needed for the design activities. For Concept paper, yes, that is mostly available with a vague content of the things to be developed.
More or less 100% of the cases the specifications, requirements mature over the time with the design till it is ready for production/release (or when designers and managers had enough of doing that design :) ).
Further, it could also be that specification, requirements crafted after the design had been released.

So, for specification and requirements I tend not to classify those as inputs.

Cheers

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...requirements mature over the time...
...So, for specification and requirements I tend not to classify those as inputs.
I'm not sure I follow your logic.

True, there can be some dynamic interplay between requirements and outputs throughout the design and development process, and overtime. ...but could you not say the same thing for just about everything in the process (customer requirements, risk files, market data...)?

This being the case, I'm curious: what would you consider design inputs, if requirement specifications are ruled out on the basis that they change?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R DMR or Manufacturing Documentation - How detailed does the documentation have to be? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G VDA 6.3 Automotive Audit with detailed questions Audit Questionnaire Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
QMMike Software to Record Detailed Final Audit / Inspection Data Software Quality Assurance 2
V ISO 9001 Detailed documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
U How detailed do Procedures and Flowcharts need to be ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M How detailed should procedures be if standards or guidance documents exist? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L Requirement to write a Detailed Inspection Plan (DIP) APQP and PPAP 5
C Detailed NQA-1 Audit Checklist Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Medical Device Software Segregation and Detailed Design IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
D Generating a detailed Process Plan - Help needed Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
M AS9100 5.6.2(c) Review Input: Process Performance - Detailed explanation needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S AMS 2750 rev E - Changes Detailed - Work In Progress Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
G Detailed Project Plan for Implementing AS9100C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
Q How detailed should Process Maps be? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
B I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions Customer Complaints 10
T AS9100C Work Instruction Clarification - How detailed should a Work Instruction be? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
T Detailed Product Images for the Off the Shelf Items Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Audit on Manufacturing Processes - a) Audit Checklist, and b) Detailed Audit Report Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 13
E Steelmaking NCR Reports - Product has no custumer or detailed specifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
apestate Are detailed blueprints or CAD drawings of aircraft available? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
D Do all Non Conformance Reports need a detailed Root Cause Analysis? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Process Mapping - for "Audits" - Detailed process map + macro map + FMEA Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
S Structure for Implementing ISO 9001 - Detailed action plan of the significant steps ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Cl 6.3, Infrastructure - How detailed I should get with this clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A RoHS Compliant Declaration - General or Detailed? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
S A detailed ISO 17025 'Table of Contents' ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
J Training Records - How detailed? ISO 13485 Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
G Control Plans vs. Detailed Routings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Quality System Process Map - Is this too detailed or not enough detail? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 77
D How detailed should an equipment maintenance record made by engineer be? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
K Need DETAILED Procedure Template for Dental Insurance Co. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
D Detailed Six Sigma Case Study Needed Six Sigma 9
R Good Manufacturing Practices - How you document your GMP's - GHP's and how detailed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
T Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX) linkage to a documented QMS - Detailed Procedures Required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
W Writing Reports - Giving detailed information on a Continuous Improvement Project Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
A How to Calibrate a Vernier Caliper - Detailed Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
M Data submittal for surveillance audit - Detailed list of documents requested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Control Plan - Does not replace information in detailed operator instruction FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Quality Manual - Our current one is too detailed. Suggestions appreciated! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 25
Marc Root Cause Analysis and ISO 9001 - An excellent detailed discussion Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
J Work Instructions - How detailed do work instructions need to be? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
G Process Flow Diagrams - How detailed the PFD has to be QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Marc Job Opportunity - Engineering Technician - Suspense 23 Sept 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Lessons Learned Implementing ISO 50001 (Chemical Engineering Progress) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5